My Official £50-£46,000 betting challenge

Caporegime
I made a grand, lost £500 on a daft bet.

So ended up £580 all in, never done it since. I wanted to cry when it happened. Though I was starting to make £20-30 a day when I stopped.

It is doable, but it's also very very easy to lose everything.

and the moral of the story is don't bet amounts you're not prepared to lose - betting half your bank roll is more than a bit risky... and the OP's idea of betting the whole bank roll is very very risky

Associate
Thread revival, Any one up for doing this again? i'm going to start today, only with £10 though something to do when bored.

Going to try and stick to the strict rule of 1.1 odds or less.

Caporegime
OP
Thread revival, Any one up for doing this again? i'm going to start today, only with £10 though something to do when bored.

Going to try and stick to the strict rule of 1.1 odds or less.

OK. I'll start tomorrow with a tenner.

One thing I have noticed lately is that the prices for the over/under 0.5 market have improved. I can get 1.05 for there to be a goal in the Bilbao V Barca game. A year or so back that would have been 1.02.

Last edited:
Associate
Have you ever considered sports trading on Betafair? That's a guaranteed way to make money, because its not technically gambling.
You just have to lay low and back high, but I think its a pretty difficult skill to master.
Although I do a lot of matched betting, I would really love to be able to master trading.
Does anyone want to start a thread for trying to master sports trading?

Caporegime
OP
Actually fellas, betting these 1.02-1.10 shots is too mind numbingly dull for me.

If you are working on that basis of a goal being scored. then I've realised it's utterly pointless to go for that market at the ridiculously low odds that are offered and making your 50p a time. You are much better off laying the draw with a view to back when a goal is scored.

Even a £4 lay bet with a £10 liability will get you on average around £1.80 profit when greened up.You can use the basic cash out on Betfair for this. No brain work involved. Although I would deffo go via the exchange. you can calculate manually using this calculator http://www.backlaybettingcalculator.com/

By the time you get to £50, you can be bringing in profits of over £20 on each bet for a goal being scored. Plus there is far higher liquidity on the match odds market than the over/unders.

If you wanted to, you could even setup an automated bot to do this for you.

If you pick 10 matches correctly in a row, you'll be far far higher than you would be on overs/unders markets.

One thing, dont pick mismatches. If you pick matches where the teams are priced 1.4 and 5.0 respectively, you will fall into the trap of the draw price lowering if the outsiders nick a goal. Then the likely outcome will be for the favs to nick a goal back, lowering it even further. Stick to nice, evenly matched games, like West Ham V Palace for example.

The soccer mystic tool on Bet Angel is brilliant at predicting price movements. You can play out loads of scenarios on it to see your possible profit.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you ever considered sports trading on Betafair? That's a guaranteed way to make money, because its not technically gambling.

If that's your view of trading then please please don't do any :(

Of course it's gambling. When done professionally it's informed, data-driven gambling, but it's still gambling. When you place a back bet you are gambling on the price shortening. Whilst you have the bet open you are just as exposed as someone who places the same bet at a bookie with the intention of riding it out.

Saying that trading is a guaranteed way of making money is just misleading. How can it be? Every time you make money on a trade, someone on the other side has lost money.

Trading is really hard. To do it profitably you need:

* a very detailed knowledge of your chosen sport
* lots of capital to ride out the ups and downs
* ice running through your veins (you need to be able to make rational decisions when you have thousands on the table and things are going against you)
* plenty of luck

I'm not a trader but it's not really something to get into on a whim. Easy to lose lots of money that way.

Caporegime
OP
Mattus is right. It takes dedication too as the profits each race are quite small when trading.

It is in no way guaranteed. The only betting thats guaranteed is matched betting. Anything else is a risk.

Associate
If that's your view of trading then please please don't do any :(

Of course it's gambling. When done professionally it's informed, data-driven gambling, but it's still gambling. When you place a back bet you are gambling on the price shortening. Whilst you have the bet open you are just as exposed as someone who places the same bet at a bookie with the intention of riding it out.

Saying that trading is a guaranteed way of making money is just misleading. How can it be? Every time you make money on a trade, someone on the other side has lost money.

Trading is really hard. To do it profitably you need:

* a very detailed knowledge of your chosen sport
* lots of capital to ride out the ups and downs
* ice running through your veins (you need to be able to make rational decisions when you have thousands on the table and things are going against you)
* plenty of luck

I'm not a trader but it's not really something to get into on a whim. Easy to lose lots of money that way.

I meant its guaranteed if the trade goes your way, not what you seem to have thought I meant.

Soldato
I meant its guaranteed if the trade goes your way, not what you seem to have thought I meant.

I thought you meant that sports trading was a guaranteed way to make money. The reason I thought that is because it's what you said :confused:

Have you ever considered sports trading on Betafair? That's a guaranteed way to make money

It's like saying "playing the lottery is a guaranteed way to make money", and then adding "I mean it's guaranteed if you pick the winning numbers"!

Soldato
I think the point of this thread was a bit of fun, with a tenner and see how far you get it.

Let's not get to distracted from the fact it's a bit of fun.

There is a thread in GD about matched betting etc if that is what people wish to discuss.

Soldato
You just have to lay low and back high, but I think its a pretty difficult skill to master.
Although I do a lot of matched betting, I would really love to be able to master trading.

It is NOT as simple as that!

Caporegime

of course it is gambling and no it isn't guaranteed to make you money

I mean why not try trading futures while you're at it - all you've got to do is buy low, sell high....

Back
Top Bottom