US TV journalists shot dead on air

Man of Honour
Civilian gun ownership in North America is there to stay, and debating it really is entirely pointless. In my opinion, it should simply be accepted and the real discussion should instead be about improving gun education and implementing common sense restrictions as, right now, buying a gun is incredibly easy and you do not need any form of licence or education in most or all states.

Or maybe we should just accept this is normal in the US, just like someone getting killed in a car accident (although at least cars are getting safer every year)?

Soldato
Seeing things like this just makes me look down on America, they just a butch of kids really, they won't learn whats good for them till they a much older country.

Until they change their gun laws, this will keep happening. They don't need to ban them or anything, just make the laws better so it makes it harder for people to purchase them with more checks.

Even if the journalists was armed themselves, it wouldn't had helped them. The gunman just walked up too them and shot them pretty much point blank. That gives you no time to pull a gun out and defend themselves before it was too late.

Last edited:
Soldato
When the horror of today's events has died down a bit and we can all think with cool, logical heads.

Given the US is having these types of events on a bi-monthly basis you're never going to get to a time when no one hasn't recently lost someone due to a maniac with a gun.

The Dylann Roof thing only happened in mid-June for example.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Admittedly, I know nothing of US gun purchasing, but here's what I'd recommend as a starter (assuming they don't ban them).

• Gun licenses mandatory
  • Minimum requirement of x hours at a gun club
  • Safe handling test and practical (ties to license suggestion)
  • Maximum "size" of weapon and ammo. Assault Rifles, smgs = no.
  • Shotguns and rifles to be used in a hunting capacity to be restricted

It should not be that you can go to Walmart and pickup some toilet paper and a shotgun.

RIP

Soldato

Assault rifles and SMGs are already restricted. Banning maximum size? Going to have little effect really, you aren't going to see a reduction in deaths if you ban 45 ACP.

Not really sure what you meaning by the second one? I could use a rifle on the range, but if I take it hunting it becomes restricted?

Last edited:
Soldato
Admittedly, I know nothing of US gun purchasing, but here's what I'd recommend as a starter (assuming they don't ban them).

• Gun licenses mandatory
    [*]Minimum requirement of x hours at a gun club
    [*]Safe handling test and practical (ties to license suggestion)

It should not be that you can go to Walmart and pickup some toilet paper and a shotgun.

RIP

How would the two in red reduce these types of events? If anything they would exacerbate them by ensuring these nutters are better trained in killing no?

These things happen because guns are too frequently available and the human condition of being able to "snap" at any time like it sounds here. Someone who has a grudge against a former employee/society isn't going to be put off by being better trained at using a firearm.

Caporegime
When the horror of today's events has died down a bit and we can all think with cool, logical heads.

as sad as the event is it doesn't affect me much personally - I can't say I'm particularly panicked by it or hot headed as a result

I think I'm as able to discuss gun control as I was yesterday despite some people I don't know, the other side of the world, getting shot

Associate
RIP, they were only doing their jobs.

It's also pretty shocking how fast the video was up on youtube as well. Same with the recent plane crash in Shoreditch. I worry how fast that kind of media is appearing in mainstream.

Soldato
It's also pretty shocking how fast the video was up on youtube as well. Same with the recent plane crash in Shoreditch. I worry how fast that kind of media is appearing in mainstream.
Er, you mean Shoreham.

I also wonder who sees something like that happen on live TV and who's first instinct is to get in on YouTube. Weirdos.

Soldato
It's so wrong I feel numb to this now. Such a waste of life. Cameraman was 27 and woman was 24.... and the cameraman had just got engaged.

I see so many videos like this, what in the hell is truly wrong with people....

Back
Top Bottom