Long haul travel

Caporegime
Just flew from Cyprus > Heathrow > NYC. The way out was awful, my mate sitting in the middle thinking he was 10 men. Arguing that he really isn't that big (He isn't) and him not seeing the wrongfulness of him taking up so much space.

The way back was bliss, no one next to me on both flights. I slept quite happily, for both flights. But yeah I'm not a fan, I normally drink some to try and pass out. It rarely helps.

Ed

Ed

Soldato
OP
Move often, get up and walk/stretch.

Adjust your sleep pattern so you sleep when you are supposed to according to the destination.
I'm a light sleeper and time zone adjustment wouldn't make a difference. I need to be able to sleep in the air otherwise I'm a bear.

Soldato
There's no trick really but as others have said make sure you get up and walk around a lot -- I can't believe most people don't do this and sit still for 12hrs. I get uncomfortable watching a 2hr film let alone 12hrs in one spot! Drink lots of water, a bit of gin to help you relax, and then just try to entertain yourself.

The main thing though is to not cave to falling asleep in the afternoon or whenever you shouldn't. Do whatever you can to stay awake and sleep at night when you should. Should hopefully reset your body clock a bit better than napping during the day and then not being able to sleep at night.

Also agreed about first/business. Seat 1A on a Virgin 747 (I think it was) for the win :D

Ed

Ed

Soldato
OP
Just flew from Cyprus > Heathrow > NYC. The way out was awful, my mate sitting in the middle thinking he was 10 men. Arguing that he really isn't that big (He isn't) and him not seeing the wrongfulness of him taking up so much space.

The way back was bliss, no one next to me on both flights. I slept quite happily, for both flights. But yeah I'm not a fan, I normally drink some to try and pass out. It rarely helps.
My girl is 5ft 1" so that helps me (not her) with leg room. Airbus wins over Boeing for cabin noise. The Singapore to Brisbane legs weren't that bad, it's the London to Singapore bit which is 13 hours. It's brutal.

Man of Honour
The air conditioning is so noisy (A380 was much quieter), trolleys keep knocking my knees, bright tv screens, inconsiderate neighbours etc. It all makes it so difficult to settle down.

Ear plugs, eye mask, neck cushion.

I get the knocking of knees, you can try to get a window seat to sleep against it. It does make it harder to leave to go to the loo. I also suggest going for a walk and doing a few stretches.

If you can't sleep, don't get flustered, have some coffee and stay up. Your body will soon accept it isn't going to sleep. Sometimes it's quite fun.

Caporegime
The other thing is to time your flights so you get there tired and at night. So it feels natural, I got lucky on my way to NYC when this happened. Straight to bed, woke up at 7am their time. No jet lag at all.

The way back was a bit different mind.

Ed

Ed

Soldato
OP
There's no trick really but as others have said make sure you get up and walk around a lot -- I can't believe most people don't do this and sit still for 12hrs. I get uncomfortable watching a 2hr film let alone 12hrs in one spot! Drink lots of water, a bit of gin to help you relax, and then just try to entertain yourself.

The main thing though is to not cave to falling asleep in the afternoon or whenever you shouldn't. Do whatever you can to stay awake and sleep at night when you should. Should hopefully reset your body clock a bit better than napping during the day and then not being able to sleep at night.

Also agreed about first/business. Seat 1A on a Virgin 747 (I think it was) for the win :D
Without posting too much information, it's more than my sleep pattern. I'm a regular guy and get woken up to do my business at the Australian time. It's so disruptive.

Soldato
If you can't sleep, don't get flustered, have some coffee and stay up. Your body will soon accept it isn't going to sleep. Sometimes it's quite fun.
Yeah this. It's easy to get stressed about sleeping but it's not the be-all and end-all. Everyone has had nights out midweek and gone to work on 3-4hrs sleep, you can survive. It's no big deal.

If you're a tall chap then you can always ask for seats with a bit more legroom. They will accommodate you where possible.

Man of Honour
I fly long haul a lot and I don't mind it. I'm even alright if I have to go economy but thankfully that is relatively rare (when I pay myself!). I am only 5 ft 8 and an all important half though. I think people seem to build travel up in their minds needlessly. Yes it can be tiring but then it is over and you get on with your day.

Soldato
Take all the tips on board but at the end of the day you've just got to suck it up the crappy flight just makes the destination all the more enjoyable! Got to say though I'd be loath to fly all the way to Aus or somewhere similar without a stop over, we did Singapore one way and hong kong the other and when we went to Hawaii we did vegas one way and San Fran the other.

Soldato
The longest I've done in economy was Heathrow to Kona, Hawaii. Make the most of that break in the middle and bring an iPad + noise cancelling headphones.

I usually don't mind it on the way out on holiday but the leg home can be quite depressing. I try to spend a few days somewhere on the way back to break things up.

Or save your air miles and fly business. :p

Soldato
I have to go back to Salt Lake in Oct and it's out of my budget, which is making it really hard to book anything other than economy right now. I'll just watch films and sleep though, so you know.
I just miss the better food :p

Caporegime
I'm looking at flights to LAX for next year and it's an extra £300ish to upgrade. I reckon I will most likely upgrade, the flight is the worst part and £300 seems more than worth it to me.

Soldato
I regularly do London to Singapore, Hong Kong, Sydney.. as others have suggested if you can't get an upgrade then try and pre-book an emergency exit seat as you will have more leg room.. be aware however that these are near the baby zone so you will need noise cancelling headphones..

If you can make sure you're flight lands late afternoon.. you can then avoid sleeping on the plane and sleep at night when you get to your destination.. much easier that way to recover from jet lag!

Business class flights vary somewhat and depends on the day of the week you travel and your airline choice.. if your flexible then you can get a better deal.

Man of Honour
I'm looking at flights to LAX for next year and it's an extra £300ish to upgrade. I reckon I will most likely upgrade, the flight is the worst part and £300 seems more than worth it to me.

Is that premium economy or business? I always find premium to be a bit of a waste

Man of Honour

If it's only 300 quid to upgrade than the economy fares you are finding are over priced and you should probably hold off a bit. A discounted economy return is often under £500.

If you have found business for under 800 return though grab it immediately as that's insane.

Back
Top Bottom