Latest immigration figures.

Soldato
Ireland was hit extremely hard by the recession, FAR more so than the United Kingdom.

Added to which a sense of protectionism (waning admittedly) which made it extremely hard to actually get employment.

Even today there are still hundreds of thousands out of work.

I would say it is particulary disengenuous for people here to insinuate that British nationals who have emigrated (or just moved for periods of time) are less likely to seek employment than people with no skills moving through multiple countries to seek the one with the most beneficial system....

Germany has *massively* higher immigration than the UK. You aren't entitled to any unemployment benefit on arrival (until you have held down a job for a year).

Guess immigrants are coming to work, not scrounge....

Caporegime
Germany has *massively* higher immigration than the UK. You aren't entitled to any unemployment benefit on arrival (until you have held down a job for a year).

well except for the free housing, like the ones angry Germans have started burning down?

Soldato
well except for the free housing, like the ones angry Germans have started burning down?

Temporary tents to give asylum seekers fleeing Syria etc some shelter? You think people are coming here to get a free loan of a tent?

The people making anti-immigration noises are a small minority primarily in the east and they are drowned out by the vast majority of people.

Oh dear. Please do some research before posting lol

I live here. What does your research into German culture consist of?

Soldato
I wonder what scrapping the welfare system would actually do to the wave of immigrants heading to the UK.

They (When i mean they i mean the government) would have to make sure the word got out that the welfare system is no longer for them. The main reason that everyone in the poorest part of the EU knows about our welfare system is that Labour sent out envoys telling everyone to come to the UK and what benefits they could get, word then got around. We'd have to reverse that.

Associate

You're doing a disservice to the intelligence of a lot of economic migrants (which is what I consider the very vast majority to be).

The lifestyle as "hard" as we would possibly consider it, is simply not comparable to people who migrate from extremely tough Islamic societies for the main part.

Because lets not beat about the bush here, I doubt the vast majority of posters here in an uproar about the immigration into Europe, would be half as vocal if the people moving had in any way a lifestyle or culture that leant itself well to integration.

There are too many examples in Britain where it is patently obvious to see that mixing certain cultures will NOT lead to integration but displacement. The successive generations have proved this, and I don't think that the indigenous culture will prevail. Certainly not in Luton anyway. ;)

This is not a new issue, a certain politician stated the obvious a fair while ago, and again I'll cite the below link which leads me to believe this is not a benign movement.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-18519395

Though I'm sure Freefaller will come along soon and tell me I'm being silly and that all is well outside of a few examples.

Soldato
I know what it means. What I was doing was explaining why this:

... is overly simplistic drivel. It would be true if, and only if, the demand for labour was independent of the number of people working. But it's not: people working creates demand for labour. Jobs are created by economic activity; more people being economically active creates more jobs. That's why the facts clearly show that immigration - even according to the most negative research data - has a very small effect on wages.

There isn't a fixed pool of jobs. Each new person working, on average, creates enough demand to employ another person. It must be so or unemployment would track with population size.

Not on a one for one basis though. An immigrant who comes here to get a job doesn't create another job to replace the one he's taking.

I agree that demand doesn't stay the same but don't agree there is natural counter balance where a million immigrants will create a million new jobs, far from it. I'd say you are advocating a kind of reverse pyramid scheme where a million immigrants can come and take a million jobs but because 100,000 new jobs have been created (by the extra economic activity of the new 1 million people) you then want to tell the 900,000 unemployed Brits they can't complain because 10% of them got work only due to the immigration.

Caporegime
Temporary tents to give asylum seekers fleeing Syria etc some shelter? You think people are coming here to get a free loan of a tent?

man Germans have way better tents than we do

Troglitz-fire3.jpg

Soldato
Looks like we have better fire appliances over here though. :D

Remarkably big divide between east and west still, despite the extra solidarity tax I pay to them! ;) East is where the loony right-wingers causing this trouble are. Not reflective of the rest of Germany at all, anti-immigrant sentiment is roundly and thoroughly derided amongst most people and the mainstream press.

Soldato
unless of course robgum was referring to the uk, not Germany.

I wouldn't exactly describe racism as particularly popular in the uk.

The problem with the UK media is that it's chock full of wet liberals, apart from a few small groups (National Front, BNP etc) racism is tiny in this country.

The press really really wanted UKIP to be one of those groups so it could point it's crooked little finger at them and yell WRACISTTTTT!!! And solidify there stance as the correct one no matter how damaging it is in the country.

I don't know anything about German media so i think my post was a bit unclear, but i do know that there are raises in right-wing political groups all over the richer EU countries in France, Germany and the UK in response to the failures of the EU, my guess is that the media in those countries treat them with equal disdain

Last edited:
Soldato
How are they when a large proportion just do low paid often part time work so claim every in work benefit going.

They are only good for employers and shareholders an over supply of the workforce just leads to lower wages across the board.
Jobs that used to pay decently are now all defaulting to minimum wage and it's seeping in to more and more jobs.

It's viable for eu migrants as they can bring claim for kids etc they can get in work top ups which brings the wage up.
Adult migrants with kids are doing the jobs our young and unskilled semi skilled used to do it's just not fair on our own people it's not a level playing field.
What hope have our young got they cant even claim housing benefit yet an eu migrant can.

Name me one country in europe other than here where I can just up and go to and do a 16 hour a week minimum wage job and have enough to house clothe and feed myself ?
Just another part of the problem we don't get the same treatment if we decide to go to france germany etc.

Yep...regardless of what anyone else is doing this is just a bad idea in general. Someone can come over and instantly claim benefits.... just a bad idea and for what purpose? If you have a job and you come to the UK fine but moving here and claiming the dole wtf? this is why they're all trying to break into the uk through the channel tunnel.

Last edited:
Soldato
The comments on this thread mirror those I've heard amongst people I know. Essentially opinion is divided, some people see immigration as something which is positive and should be embraced, whilst others have fears and concerns about its impact upon their lives.

From what I see some people are gaining from immigration whilst others are losing from it.

One thing for certain though is that a divided nation will not be good for anyone. I think that one of the biggest problems is that 'political correctness' has oppressed discussion and debate which has helped polarise opinions.

One thing I think needs to happen is that discussions need to take place where political correctness, along with insulting terms such as 'racist' and 'xenophobic' are consigned to the bin.

Give people the opportunity to voice their fears and concerns in the hope that a way to address them can be found!

Soldato
The problem with the UK media is that it's chock full of wet liberals, apart from a few small groups (National Front, BNP etc) racism is tiny in this country.

On the contrary, The Daily Mail is the most popular media outlet in the UK. It is filled with hateful, racist, inflammatory bile.

Associate
It's the 39% figure which grates on me a little

• 61% of EU citizens immigrating for work had a definite job to go to, whereas 39% were intending to look for a job rather than taking up an offer of employment.

Does the 39% actually mean that or is it just assumed because they don't have a job?

What about families of those who have come here and have a job ready for them? Wives/Husbands/dependents? Where do they fit in to these figures?

Back
Top Bottom