Brought vs bought

Caporegime
Genuinely curious why so many people get these two confused. Is there a place where it's taught incorrectly or something?

I might have to bruy a dictionary at this rate :confused:

Soldato
I could care less.

Seriously though, there are a lot similar misspellings in common use (and grammar is even more Byzantine in places), so it propagates through peer usage. Unless you have a learning difficulty, it isn't difficult to learn the correct word.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
You can't work out why people might get those two words confused?

The way I see it, it's one of two things: stupidity or lack of education. If it was because of the one singular letter, then surely they'd confuse more words too?

Although people like that usually hide behind the lexscyid smokescreen.

Soldato
Probably because one of the words isn't used as much as the other, they look very similar and also maybe more words have Br or Bo at the start. Simples.

Soldato
I know a lad that writes 'brought' and says it too. so annoying - makes me grit my teeth when I read it - but hearing it is something else!

genuinly curious too - we need to get one in here; search for it and find someone - bring him in here for questioning.

Associate
I get the mick taken out of me for saying this along with other things, some times the world/people need to chill out...its not the end of the world and I'm pretty sure unless your the one who's stupid you can guess what me/others are saying. My education was rubbish due to being severely bullied but it doesn't mean I lack intelligence, I'm now in a good job and manage a team of 22 staff. My spelling is awful and every week I make mistakes but after explaining to the staff they don't care (apart from 1, who constantly corrects any of my print outs like a school teacher would, but that's her problem and shows she is in a minority!)

In situation where accuracy is important then I understand the need but in general life to life....no problem :)

Man of Honour
It simply looks and sounds very similar. Doesn't matter if you've been taught or not. People can and do know the difference and still use it wrong.

Caporegime
OP
Back
Top Bottom