Brought vs bought

Soldato
I get the mick taken out of me for saying this along with other things, some times the world/people need to chill out...its not the end of the world and I'm pretty sure unless your the one who's stupid you can guess what me/others are saying. My education was rubbish due to being severely bullied but it doesn't mean I lack intelligence, I'm now in a good job and manage a team of 22 staff. My spelling is awful and every week I make mistakes but after explaining to the staff they don't care (apart from 1, who constantly corrects any of my print outs like a school teacher would, but that's her problem and shows she is in a minority!)

In situation where accuracy is important then I understand the need but in general life to life....no problem :)

Indeed, but it took me twice as long to read and digest your post as it would have done if it'd been proofread before you published it.

Caporegime
OP
At my last job I was on the same level as a colleague, ie we did the same job. We got on fine but could rarely have a laugh as he had the personality of a brick wall. A year or so after joining a supervisor position came up, so I stuck my name in the hat and so did he. I went on holiday for three weeks and came back to him being my supervisor. No problem, missed that opportunity. Turns out he was actually banging one of the girls in HR at the time. Once this particular cat was out the bag, the manager walks in to his office with one of the supervisor's emails in his hands and says "please can you ask your girlfriend in HR to proof read your emails if they are going external" and walks out.

Supervisor runs after him and asks why, to which the manager replied, very loudly, BECAUSE YOUR WRITING LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE DRANK A BOTTLE OF RUM AND A CAN OF ALPHAGHETTI SPAGHETTI AND PUKED THE SPAGHETTI ALL OVER THE SCREEN.

He was a great manager that man.

Associate
My over 40 year old step sister still pronounces hospital as 'hospical'
I have explained on numerous occasions that there's no letter C in hospital.

I am also sure there's an unintentional joke in there somewhere.

Associate
Indeed, but it took me twice as long to read and digest your post as it would have done if it'd been proofread before you published it.

The thing is, I did read it befor I posted and again just now and I read it perfectly fine. On another note everyone comments in how quick I scan read .... I literally read twice as fast as others and have been asked more than once to prove I have read something as they don't believe me. Maybe linked?!

Caporegime
OP
The thing is, I did read it befor I posted and again just now and I read it perfectly fine. On another note everyone comments in how quick I scan read .... I literally read twice as fast as others and have been asked more than once to prove I have read something as they don't believe me. Maybe linked?!

Yes. Your superhuman abilities make you look stupid.

Soldato
The thing is, I did read it befor I posted and again just now and I read it perfectly fine.

That's because you wrote it so your brain fills in the words' meanings automatically. Readers don't have that luxury and their brains must first interpret your words to unlock your post's meaning. It's far more difficult to find mistakes in your own work than in something written by someone else.

Caporegime
OP
There are various idiot indicators, spotting them means you're either dealing with someone young or just stupid. Brought / bought, borrow / lend, your / you're, their / they're / there, etc etc.

People make up all sorts of excuses, the most prevalent one seems to be "it's the internet, why should I care?".

This to me means that if you can't even be arsed to come across as educated on "the internet" then how are you going to come across on a job application? It also indicates a lack of respect to those you are addressing.

We all make typos but personally I have very little time for repeat offenders, winds me up something silly. Yes, I had a very strict English teacher at school :p

Soldato
I see lots of people asking for advise on this forum instead of advice.

I'm hoping it's something to do with people typing on phones or a tablet and predictive text, rather than them being dense.

Back
Top Bottom