Brought vs bought

Caporegime
They probably say 'innit' as well.

Yes. Yes they do. It definitely seems to be a London thing. Although saying that people up here have some brilliant ones. My grandma is a source of constant amusement to me with her skorts, hyem and gannin places. Thought it's more of a regional than stupid thing with her.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Yes. Yes they do. It definitely seems to be a London thing. Although saying that people up here have some brilliant ones. My grandma is a source of constant amusement to me with her skorts, hyem and gannin places. Thought it's more of a regional than stupid thing with her.

I had an IT guy on the phone from London who sounded exactly like the wannabe-black white guy from Phoneshop. A plethora of uneducated buffoon lingo was in full flow - 'aks', 'laik (like)' - and his tongue sounded as if it was getting in the way of his vocal chords due to being too fat for his throat.

They can talk like that all they like in public - I can ignore them - but business is a different story. I have no idea how he got past the interview stage.

Soldato
Fewer and less throws me everytime. I think it depends on the quantity.

The amount of times I see rogue as rouge (which is some sort of make up I believe) and makes Rogue Squadron an entirely different game.

Lacking education or stupidity? Not always. My missus has more letters after her name than in it even with dyslexia.

Soldato

It also confuses many supermarket checkout-labellers. It's easy really: 'fewer' is used when referring to a quantity you can number ("ten items or fewer"); 'less' is used when referring to a quantity you can't number ("I'd like less milk on my Cornflakes, please").

There are a few times when the issue is muddied but, in general, remember the above and you'll be okay.

Soldato
because there are situations where either word could be right

at work:

"what are you having for lunch today?"

"I've brought some sandwiches"

"I've bought some sandwiches"

Associate
It also confuses many supermarket checkout-labellers. It's easy really: 'fewer' is used when referring to a quantity you can number ("ten items or fewer"); 'less' is used when referring to a quantity you can't number ("I'd like less milk on my Cornflakes, please").

There are a few times when the issue is muddied but, in general, remember the above and you'll be okay.

What if you're the type of person who counts your cornflakes as they fall into the bowl?

Caporegime
Genuinely curious why so many people get these two confused. Is there a place where it's taught incorrectly or something?

I might have to bruy a dictionary at this rate :confused:

people are dumb.

yesterday I brought my GF with me to the shop.
I bought an item from the shop.
Today I attempted to return the item but he said "I'm not a shop"

I brought my exterminator with me so I can kill your wasps for a living.

Last edited:
Soldato
Context enables me to surmise their meaning though if the speaker is meant to be clever or educated I do judge them and hold it in mind, imho it's not as bad as would have should have.

Associate

The amount of times I see rogue as rouge (which is some sort of make up I believe) and makes Rogue Squadron an entirely different game.

Lacking education or stupidity? Not always. My missus has more letters after her name than in it even with dyslexia.

Rouge is a colour - red. It's a French word. Moulin Rouge etc...

There is a StarCraft player called Rogue and I spend half my time when I'm on the StarCraft subreddit correcting people who misspell it. I figure someone should fight against the rising tide of illiteracy :p

Back
Top Bottom