Good web domain service?

daz

daz

Soldato
Tsohost still run by the guy who is on here? Used him over 10 years ago and service was great.

Thanks - myself and the other founders are still about :)

Since the OP wants domains and not hosting, I would still recommend a place where domains are the core business, and not Vidahost or similar.

Anyone EU based has to unfortunately charge VAT which means that you're going to get probably more likely to get better price on a domain registration with a US provider (e.g. Namecheap, GoDaddy, etc). Only thing to bear in mind is contact/support - I've heard of people trying to get GoDaddy to move their .uk domain away and it's a pain because their support staff don't seem to understand the processes involved with .uk.

Soldato
Anyone EU based has to unfortunately charge VAT which means that you're going to get probably more likely to get better price on a domain registration with a US provider (e.g. Namecheap, GoDaddy, etc). Only thing to bear in mind is contact/support - I've heard of people trying to get GoDaddy to move their .uk domain away and it's a pain because their support staff don't seem to understand the processes involved with .uk.

Well that's because Godaddy are crap.

Associate
Avoid 1and1. I registered a new domain with them recently and have since been spammed to death (email & phone) by every man and his dog wanting to do design work or SEO for me.

Didn't realise that they sold details on to third parties, must have missed that in the T&Cs.

Caporegime
1&1 are a bunch of clowns. If you cancel a contract then they will stop your services but won't tell the billing department to stop billing you. The billing department will claim that you never cancelled, the technical department will claim that you cancelled your service so they can't re-enable it.

I had to conference the technical department and the billing department into the same call and let them argue it out before I got them to stop chasing for money I didn't owe. Never again.

Associate
Avoid 1and1. I registered a new domain with them recently and have since been spammed to death (email & phone) by every man and his dog wanting to do design work or SEO for me.

Didn't realise that they sold details on to third parties, must have missed that in the T&Cs.

1&1 are a bunch of clowns. If you cancel a contract then they will stop your services but won't tell the billing department to stop billing you. The billing department will claim that you never cancelled, the technical department will claim that you cancelled your service so they can't re-enable it.

I had to conference the technical department and the billing department into the same call and let them argue it out before I got them to stop chasing for money I didn't owe. Never again.

Safe to say OP won't be going with 1and1.

Soldato
I used to use 123-reg for domains since 2001 but jacked them in a few years ago. Now I mostly use Vida/Tsohost apart from a few with DomainMonster.

Can't type for toffee
Don
TSOHost here used them for about 5 years now.
Had a few isuses I can think of and each one was fixed pretty damn quick.
Even had support in the early hours of the morning :)

Great customer service from them

Associate
I'm looking to purchase a domain in place of using dyndns, is it possible to do this? Direct my domain to my ip? Anyway of keeping it updated?

You will still need a dyndns provider but you can redirect your domain to that if you wish by creating a CNAME entry using TSO's name servers.

Associate
Just to provide some balance, I've used 1&1 and had no problems at all. No spamming or other problems and had good response to queries too. Haven't used anyone else so can't really make any comparisons.....

Back
Top Bottom