any chair as good as a......

Soldato
Mirra 2 will be my next purchase for reference.

Steelcases don't have mesh seats therefore unsuitable to me.
Aeron I spent a lot of time on (6 years) and the front lip behind the knee is annoying.
Mirra 2 is a lighter Mirra.

Embody is very good but can't justify the extra pennies over the Mirra 2.

Associate
...Herman Miller Mirra?

I'm after a super comfy ergo chair for my office. I'm sat there for up to 18hrs/day sometimes so want to be comfy.

My current fake leather Ikea one is a right sweaty ball bag inducing nightmare.

Anyone know of an airy mesh type chair?

The mirras can be had for about 300/400£ on ebay, anything comparable for that price new?

Thanks
the Mirra is amazing - the mesh seat doesn't given any bad pressure points like normal chairs where eventually your backside is sat on some piece of wood.
they are wonderfully adaptive to your body and I would heartily recommend one.

Soldato
Maybe it is just me, but I can't believe people spend that much on a chair!

£100 tops for me, I sat on a Markus the other day and that's ~£120 and my £50 chair feels better?

Soldato

£100 tops for me, I sat on a Markus the other day and that's ~£120 and my £50 chair feels better?

And how long were you sitting in the Markus for?

It should make a difference for prolongued periods. But it just might not work for you.

Soldato
I sat on the Herman Miller Aeron briefly in John Lewis, it felt nice and good quality but not sure it's worth the price tag.

Anyone know any shops outside of London that sell others? The Raynor looks nice and Humanscale but I'd want to try them first.

Man of Honour

It makes a difference if you're sitting for any length of time. I wouldn't spend that much on a chair...but if my income was much higher then I would.

There's also the http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/index.php/Sam_Vimes_Theory_of_Economic_Injustice to some extent, as long as you're paying for quality rather than fashion. It's not as pronounced as it is for Sam Vimes' boots, but if you pay 5x as much for a chair that lasts 5x as long then over time it's the same price for the much better chair.

Man of Honour
And how long were you sitting in the Markus for?

It should make a difference for prolongued periods. But it just might not work for you.

I found that I'd like my Markus more if the arms were better padded and adjustable in height. I seem to have relatively long arms, since the arms of the chair are about an inch too high for me.

So I modded it with foam padding and gaffer tape on the arms (which has made the height issue worse, bah!) and I'm thinking of getting a wheelchair cushion for the seat (because they're obviously intended for prolonged periods of sitting). But then the lumbar support would be in the wrong place and that's not adjustable either.

It has been cheaper than the chairs I had before that were half the price and it's more comfortable after a couple of hours (I've slept in it, although that's suboptimal due to the arms and it requires additional neck support). I'd buy better if I could afford it, but it's quite good and has a genuinely high back rather than the "high" back of most cheaper chairs. I don't consider a back that ends beneath my shoulders to be a high back.

Man of Honour
I sat on the Herman Miller Aeron briefly.

That is not a test. Trust me, they are superb and win awards for good reason. I have an Aeron in the office office, and a Mira in the home office...office. I also had a Markus.

The Markus is cheap, but ****

The Mira and Aeron are a **** tonne better, massively better and anyone who suggests otherwise is talking from ignorance. They are worth the extra money. Be clear, that doesn't mean that some people can't get on with a Markus, but they are a cheap seat for a reason. If you want something that will look after your posture forget a Markus, it won't.

Back
Top Bottom