Unsafe areas in RIO!

Caporegime
Mugged three times, twice at gun point, once at knife point :D, little different to being 'mugged' over here where I beat two muggers off fairly easily and the police turned up.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
I've been to Rio a few times, never stayed that far West so can't comment on that specific place. Always stayed more central in touristy areas for obvious reasons.

Had a gun pointed at me while I was in Belo Horizonte, didn't have anything valuable on me at the time luckily.

Soldato
Had a gun pointed at me while I was in Belo Horizonte, didn't have anything valuable on me at the time luckily.

That is the key, don't wear anything that looks like its worth anything at all. Rio is a fantastic city but it is dangerous, dress cheaply and don't wear any watches or jewelry etc. If you don't look like you are worth robbing then you probably wont be.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
That is the key, don't wear anything that looks like its worth anything at all.

I was in a park and it was late at night. I had some sunglasses on my head that I had just found on a bench, took them as I had lost my sunglasses a few days before. They were cheap plastic kind but decent enough.

When this guy pointed the gun he saw the sunglasses, took them off my head, had a good look at them, and put them back on my head :D

Soldato
I went to Rio last year with work and was mainly around the centre and Copacabana, I think the rule of thumb with Copacabana is stay within 3 roads deep of the beach.

To be honest though it was not as bad as I expected, I have felt more at risk in London than there, However you do need to exercise caution at all times, dress down and don't wear your watch.

But like I said I didn't experience a whole lot there other than some persistent begging and a maid going into the electronic safe (which i set a code on) and then taking just enough of the USD I put aside for Argentina afterwards that i didn't notice until I needed a cab from Buenos Aires airport!!

Associate
I went during the World Cup and stayed in Leblon. Found no problems - however, we mainly hung around Leblon, Ipanema, Copacabana, Maracana, Botafogo and the city centre. We had no problems. I even got so hammered that I could have easily been a target. No problemos.

We got a bus to Ilha Grande (a must IMHO, can't stress that enough - spend at least 4 days there, it's beautiful, one of the highlights of my trip), and went past Guaratiba - thought it looked nice. However, it is quite far away from Rio! Not sure I'd want to be based so far!

We went to Buzios (also worth going to - other side of Rio, 4 hour bus) and met England fans who based themselves there. Unenviable trips into Rio!

Have you thought about hostels? We stayed in Che Lagarto - quite a nice hostel.

Soldato
You really can't judge the reception that Adrian Chiles gets in a country as being representative of the place as a whole. If I had a stone and Adrian Chiles was nearby it would probably be leaving my hand at a fair speed before I even knew what I was doing.
Hahaha :D

Suspended
That is the key, don't wear anything that looks like its worth anything at all. Rio is a fantastic city but it is dangerous, dress cheaply and don't wear any watches or jewelry etc. If you don't look like you are worth robbing then you probably wont be.

What an amazing civilised place, sound like there are some loving warm beautiful people there.... what is wrong with people????

Back
Top Bottom