Changes coming to Amazon Prime

Don
Careful on the piracy discussion lads, not warning anyone in particular at all but please nip it in the bud so I don't have to :)

and btw, I had no idea about the free photo storage, currently uploading circa 800gb of raw shots which I had on an old nas box and have always been concerned about, shoving it for free into what I presume is Amazon Glacier is epic, I was just impressed with the delivery speed had no idea it had all those other benefits too - win, win for me :cool:

Soldato
C
and btw, I had no idea about the free photo storage, currently uploading circa 800gb of raw shots which I had on an old nas box and have always been concerned about

Never knew that either - even better value!!

Anyone sniffing at £79 a year is just wrong.

Unlimited music, tv, downloading of tv/movies, free photo unlimited storage, next day delivery (49 from 49 deliveries for me so far this year next day)

Superb value

Caporegime
Never knew that either - even better value!!

Unlimited music, tv, downloading of tv/movies, free photo unlimited storage, next day delivery (49 from 49 deliveries for me so far this year next day)

Superb value

I know right? I was paying £100+ a year for CrashPlan.

Now they are essentially paying me £50 with free storage and free delivery :D

The best thing about their upload is not only there is no limit, there is no bandwidth throttle, I am uploading at max speed, which helps as I have TBs of data!

Last edited:
Associate
Gonna cancel my Netflix and just use Amazon Prime, cant even remember the last time I used it to be honest. Been using AP quite a bit recently though, Vikings series on there is highly recommended!

_

I will probably become a prime subscriber when they offer it at a discount. £80 isn't bad, but I can be patient.

£39 a year for me, student discount :D

Soldato
and btw, I had no idea about the free photo storage, currently uploading circa 800gb of raw shots which I had on an old nas box and have always been concerned about, shoving it for free into what I presume is Amazon Glacier is epic, I was just impressed with the delivery speed had no idea it had all those other benefits too - win, win for me :cool:

Same here, got 6 years of various photo's on primary and backup HDD, can now use amazon cloud and free up some SSD space.

Soldato

The best thing about their upload is not only there is no limit, there is no bandwidth throttle, I am uploading at max speed, which helps as I have TBs of data!

But it is only for photos? No videos, documents or music?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

You paid for CrashPlan?

I've got a FreeNAS server at home with 24TB of space. This backs up to CrashPlan online and so far I've uploaded all my data which equates to around 6TB! This is now available on CrashPlan online which I can download from any device, on the go. I simply installed the app on the NAS to run in a headless server mode and boom. There's loads of guides and YouTube videos with instructions.

I can also allow my girlfriend to backup to the NAS just by sending her a link.

The Amazon backup option is also good if you're already a Prime member though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
You paid for CrashPlan?

I've got a FreeNAS server at home with 24TB of space. This backs up to CrashPlan online and so far I've uploaded all my data which equates to around 6TB! This is now available on CrashPlan online which I can download from any device, on the go. I simply installed the app on the NAS to run in a headless server mode and boom. There's loads of guides and YouTube videos with instructions.

I can also allow my girlfriend to backup to the NAS just by sending her a link.

The Amazon backup option is also good if you're already a Prime member though :)

I have a drobo with 5 HDD (I think it's 16TB) and another NAS with 12TB, they can both be cloud servers but I still need cloud (off site) back up in case of fire. It's nothing to do with redundancy as my main drive that I first load photos in runs RAID already. Essentially I have back up of back up of back ups.

I didn't like crash plan because they throttle their upload, Amazon don't.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been on Prime for at least 3 years, I never realised I had all these other benefits apart from the streaming and delivery ..... :rolleyes:

I knew but didn't care, I only use it for the deliver, for streaming I use Netflix as it's better.

Superb value

Unlimited music: Youtube has this for free.
tv: xPlayers have this for free, anything missing you can get from Netflix for less.
downloading of tv/movies: not sure why you would want to when you can stream them...
free photo unlimited storage: Windows has this for free
next day delivery: OCUK has this for free (though if you order books of the internet Amazon is useful).

The reason people sniff at £79 a year is because the should be lower packages available minus the crap that most people will never use.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I knew but didn't care, I only use it for the deliver, for streaming I use Netflix as it's better.

Unlimited music: Youtube has this for free.
tv: xPlayers have this for free, anything missing you can get from Netflix for less.
downloading of tv/movies: not sure why you would want to when you can stream them...
free photo unlimited storage: Windows has this for free
next day delivery: OCUK has this for free (though if you order books of the internet Amazon is useful).

The reason people sniff at £79 a year is because the should be lower packages available minus the crap that most people will never use.

You have a strange way to "listen" to music.

YouTube?!

Can you do that with the phone screen off with no internet connection?

Btw what is the limit to windows back up? I uploaded 34.6G of photos last night to Amazon. Dropbox only gives me 5G free and I think Google drive only 10G?

Last edited:
Associate
Amazon's streaming video has a very poor selection in my opnion, granted they have a few things in the pipe line such as the new top gear but even then you'd be silly to not use netflix instead.

Soldato
You have a strange way to "listen" to music.

YouTube?!

Actually it's pretty common, Youtube was the defacto way to listen to unlimited free music before alternatives took off.

Can you do that with the phone screen off with no internet connection?

If you save the tracks to the phone yes (assuming you have to save them with Amazon too unless it uses magic, I've never really used that feature)

Btw what is the limit to windows back up? I uploaded 34.6G of photos last night to Amazon. Dropbox only gives me 5G free and I think Google drive only 10G?

Mines 1TB but for most users that equates to unlimited.

*EDIT*

Turns out it's only 20GB unless you use Microsoft Office, however as most people do and it comes with most new computers that means most people.

Soldato

You really can't think of a single scenario where it might be more convenient to watch something that's already been downloaded, as opposed to having to stream it over the internet?

And comparing OcUK's free delivery to Amazon Prime is hilarious. What if you want something that a computer hardware retailer doesn't sell?

Soldato
Actually it's pretty common, Youtube was the defacto way to listen to unlimited free music before alternatives took off.

If you save the tracks to the phone yes (assuming you have to save them with Amazon too unless it uses magic, I've never really used that feature)

You can't listen to music offline with the YouTube app, you can't even listen with the phone screen off.

Although a Prime customer I get Spotify for 'free' with Vodafone so I use that instead as it has a wider collection. Come phone contract renewal time though I might reconsider, especially given you can upload tracks into the cloud with Amazon Music.

Back
Top Bottom