Windows 10 CPU Temps...

Associate
Has anyone else here noticed their CPU running a bit warmer after upgrading to Windows 10? My 4790k used to idle around 30C and would hit around 55-60C when gaming. Now it idles anywhere between 35-40C and gaming reaches 70C :eek:. I never had high temps when running Windows 8.1 and none of my hardware has changed. The CPU is running stock with an Alpenföhn Matterhorn Pure cooler too!

I did a quick Google scan and it seems a few people have noticed this. I wonder what could be causing it?

Soldato
Not noticed any difference between Windows 8.1 and 10 on my setup (4790K @ 4.4 under a Phanteks PH-TC12DX). Still about 25-30C at idle and 60-65C at load on games.

Could it be the tool you're using the measure has been affected by a background change in Win10? I'm using Afterburner to monitor and the numbers haven't changed since the changeover.

Alternatively, were you running any software to affect overclock/undervolt/fan speed settings that you haven't got up and running since changing to Windows 10? Long shot, but the only thoughts I have I'm afraid.

Soldato
Yes I had this and it was related to the 'runtime broker' service which has something to do with live tiles, as I don't use or have any interest in live tiles I just disabled it and everything went back to normal.

Don
Yes I had this and it was related to the 'runtime broker' service which has something to do with live tiles, as I don't use or have any interest in live tiles I just disabled it and everything went back to normal.

Saw this on one laptop that I upgraded, exact same issue.

Check Task Manager. Run all Windows updates.

Associate
Cortana background process takes up a large amount of cpu usage sometimes. Had a look at the resources manager and it was doing something with my music. It also caused a lot of disk usage as well.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not running any software to control fans, voltages or overclocks... Everything is running stock. I use HWinfo and HWMonitor to check temps and voltages etc.

I noticed that Cortana is running in the background even though I opted not to use it when it first gave me the choice. The "Antimalware Service Executable" also seems to be a bit of a resource hog and I do have that Runtime Broker thing running in the background too. It seems that Win 10 does have a lot going on in the background when checking task manager... I don't remember it being that busy with Win 8.1.

V F

V F

Soldato
Cortana background process takes up a large amount of cpu usage sometimes. Had a look at the resources manager and it was doing something with my music. It also caused a lot of disk usage as well.

Cortana was singing?

Associate

Cortana be checking the legitimacy of those acquired files to report back to the microsoft mothership

or maybe cortana just wants to play you a nice tune

Back
Top Bottom