Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Man of Honour
After seeing some of the reviews for this, I finally decided to play Ground Zeroes yesterday after having it for months. Within about 10 minutes of finishing the mission I'd already gone on Amazon and ordered MGS5. It's meant to be arriving today so fingers crossed. I need a good single player game to go alongside Destiny for my multiplayer fix, and I think this is something I could spend a huge amount of time on.

Soldato
I'm loving the game so far - my only gripe being the setting is getting a little dull (6 or so missions in). Things might change, but some variety would be very welcome up to this point. An underground complex, a large airbase - just anything that isn't sand and rocks!

Still, cracking game. Sending sheep flying into the air still makes me laugh like a school kid.

Associate
I'm loving the game so far - my only gripe being the setting is getting a little dull (6 or so missions in). Things might change, but some variety would be very welcome up to this point. An underground complex, a large airbase - just anything that isn't sand and rocks!

Still, cracking game. Sending sheep flying into the air still makes me laugh like a school kid.

I'm avoiding as many spoilers as possible...but I'm pretty sure there are some full on bases.

Looking at the very edges of the map reveals what looks like a huge base.

Caporegime

You go to Africa later on.

Soldato
Completed mission 22 unlocked my FOB.

Added randoms for alliances and was able to defend 3 times - just doing that gave me 2.5 million gmp about 25 recruits and lots of material.

Only problem is online is still an issue. 8/10 times didn't connect when ally was being infiltrated and 2 times dc'd midway.

Considering MGO is out in 3 weeks really hope they sort it out. Seems online services are fine on xbox but issues on ps.

Soldato
Bah, i'm trying to take revenge on people who had previously invaded my base but it seems I have to wait in line until someone else has finished first. This is slightly odd as 8 people have tried to invade me so far, some of which have multiple platforms but I can't seem to invade any of their FOBs. Any people had much luck invading foreign FOBs? I can't see any option to ally with people on my friends list which is a massive oversight on Konamis part, assuming i'm not missing something

For anyone who's considering taking a shot at invading someone else, I found abusing sniper rifles works, I found it hard to lose alert status when I was found trying to invade my own base and its only a matter of time until you get flanked by the apparently endless reinforcements that get sent against you. You don't need to worry too much about using suppressed weapons when you have cleared the platform you're on, just take your time and use the sonar frequently to make sure someone isn't going to sneak up on you and just snipe the men on the other platforms.

Soldato
Sutherland's appearance in this game is rather non existent lol. So far I'm loving the game but you don't hear him talk much..... Strange

I'm on around Mission 7-ish and done quite a few side-ops and I'd noticed that as well. Maybe it changes as the game goes on, but it has been something where I was starting to wonder whether Kiefer Sutherland was just really expensive with limited time, or if Kojima has taken the idea that he wanted Sutherland because he can do subtle facial/body animation compared to actually speaking and gone too far with it.

In some ways, it's probably more jarring because he says so little you tend to forget its him, then you play a cassette tape and it instantly reminds you that Jack Bauer is in action.

Soldato
I'd love to know the real reason David Hayter wasn't brought back for this one, it just makes no sense. Sutherland's voice just doesn't fit the character at all.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Some tips for people managing their staff. Retain any that are good at what they do because otherwise they might wander off. Use your expedition people as much as possible as they can bring in ridiculous amounts of GMP compared to missions.

Mine seem to fight a fair bit even though I pay them regular visits and go and see them to boost morale.

How many of you saved that adorable wolf pup btw

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a few goes at invading other peoples bases, it seems I wasn't lucky enough to invade someone who wasn't online at the time. It all goes well until an enemy player appears, i'm patient so I always get the drop on them and grenade spam them to death. The problem is I don't have infinite time and I only have one life whereas they have infinite lives, time is on their side and you cant gain access to the objective without being out of alert.

It goes without saying I lost all 3 invasions due to other players but I managed to steal a hefty amount of resources on the final go(gave up on going for victory at that point). I wasn't aware the enemy players could respawn in the first game so the player got the drop on me after I killed him and I thought I was in the clear. It's a shame I don't ever seem to be able to take part in my own base defence when I get invaded as I have obviously been online at the time but I only get the after battle report.

A few more tips for people who want to have a go, the sonar function can be heard by enemy players so its a good indicator that they're close. Grenade rounds seem to knock players down, at that point they're good as dead, so I would think shotguns behave in a similar manner if you're that way inclined. Also before you spawn on the enemies FOB be sure to mark targets with your binoculars while inside the helicopter

Soldato
Some tips for people managing their staff. Retain any that are good at what they do because otherwise they might wander off. Use your expedition people as much as possible as they can bring in ridiculous amounts of GMP compared to missions.

Mine seem to fight a fair bit even though I pay them regular visits and go and see them to boost morale.

How many of you saved that adorable wolf pup btw

Make sure you fire any trouble makers (sort by skill to find them easier), since I did that I haven't had any fights.

That wolf pup becomes very useful later, best buddy in the game :)

Soldato
Getting bored now. Seem to be watching how to do missions on YouTube because I keep getting stuck. Might as well watch the entire story on YouTube.

It seems repetitive now I'm 8 or so missions in. Done all the side missions so far.

Soldato
Getting bored now. Seem to be watching how to do missions on YouTube because I keep getting stuck. Might as well watch the entire story on YouTube.

It seems repetitive now I'm 8 or so missions in. Done all the side missions so far.

i gave up not long after the intro mission. Never been a fan of Kojima or MGS but thought I would give it a try but it's not for me. I just dont get it tbh I love splinter cell and the original thief but this just seems silly.

Soldato

I'm not quite in that boat but I'm not far off. Yes there's loads of side missions and motherbase stuff but it's all so repetitive with the same environments over and over. I don't think mgs transfers well to open world at all personally and sure you can go about your mission differently but when do I stop extracting people/items?? ... Getting tedious now.

Back
Top Bottom