Moving Jobs

Soldato
Hi chaps, have any of you moved jobs either internally or externally within a business when you have a really good relationship with you current boss?

In my business a job has came up and I'm going to apply for it, right move for me, however me and my boss get on really well. We drink socially, play golf and have took a **** department and really turned it around and still have a vision for the future. However the opportunity is a good one I don't want to miss out on, business rules need me to notify him and I just feel a bit guilty for abandoning him and what we are doing.

Ultimately I'm going to do it just wondering if others have before and how you approached it?

Ta.

Soldato
As above, he shouldn't mind, people move on.

You guys can still be friends etc... after I guess, no reason not to be unless he gets mad or something. :)

Associate
I think it all comes down to how you approach it. If you go have a chat, talk about what a great opportunity it is, and ask their advice a bit on how to do it, you'll probably be fine - and with a bit of luck get some support.

If on the flipside, you apply for it, and they find out on the grapevine, you'll probably hack them off.

alx

alx

Soldato
If you genuinely get on with him that well, and the reasons for moving on are sound/logical, he shouldn't really have a problem with it.

It will probably be worth mentioning how much you've enjoyed working with him and it wasn't a decision you took lightly.

Caporegime
I've kind of had the opposite situation, boss who no one liked and who blocked me from moving. Went behind his back eventually and got the move but it was a complete faff, the rule in the company was that you needed the approval of the hiring manager and your current manager, the new team wanted me was just the current manager at the time being a ****. Was two different departments too and that made things really difficult as the hiring manager then had to speak to the guy who basically ran the whole London office and get him involved.

Basically I'd go and have a chat with him first and try to work something out so you've got a plan to handover things smoothly. There is still a risk that he does take it badly even if you are mates... lots of managers can get funny about people moving internally, if it isn't a step up/promotion then this is even more likely. Though you've got to think about your career and be prepared to push for it - if you're fobbed off then I'd be tempted to say take the risk and pursue it anyway.

Soldato
OP
Cheers all.

Regardless I'm going for it, I have to notify him pre-application as per company rules and it is a sideways step (we have management bands) but still more responsibility in project management as well and probably a small 10%ish pay rise but the opportunities for further advancement and projects being my first love (what I'm doing now I enjoy but it's a distant second to project work) I can't really say no.

I doubt he will be funny, I suppose just me feeling guilty for abandoning what we are doing. We've been continually shafted being a manager down for 18 month and supposed to have had 3 admins supporting for 18 month we've had 1 for 6 month and another just joined but despite we've succeeded and I just hate feeling like I would leave him in the lurch :p

Another bad thought is applying, then failing to get it and coming back to the role, again he would probably be all right but can imagine him then thinking "is his heart in it now" as I must admit, I probably would!

Soldato
OP
It's pure business mate. If he found a cracking opportunity , he would not hold back either. Sounds like you love your work place =)

Good luck!

Yeah I must admit that as employers go they are by far and away the best I hVe ever had. Really look after their employees so definitely want to stay in the organisation.

Man of Honour
Cheers all.

Regardless I'm going for it, I have to notify him pre-application as per company rules and it is a sideways step (we have management bands) but still more responsibility in project management as well and probably a small 10%ish pay rise but the opportunities for further advancement and projects being my first love (what I'm doing now I enjoy but it's a distant second to project work) I can't really say no.

I doubt he will be funny, I suppose just me feeling guilty for abandoning what we are doing. We've been continually shafted being a manager down for 18 month and supposed to have had 3 admins supporting for 18 month we've had 1 for 6 month and another just joined but despite we've succeeded and I just hate feeling like I would leave him in the lurch :p

Another bad thought is applying, then failing to get it and coming back to the role, again he would probably be all right but can imagine him then thinking "is his heart in it now" as I must admit, I probably would!

Doesn't seem like a sideways step if you're getting a 10% payrise from it.

Soldato
OP
They have weird banding a, a step up I would be looking at anywhere between a 30-50% pay rise as opposed to 10% in still the same band hence it being sideways but differing positions within the broader band give slightly different salaries.

Still a payrise is always appreciated :p

Soldato
I am suprised he wasnt the one of the first people you have discussed this with. If you get on that well, and he genuinely respects you he will be nothing but supportive.

I have been through this situation twice over the last 2 years, worked for a team that was great, moved on, moved back to first team and then after another year I moved on.

Both moving away from and moving back to that team the first people i talked to were the team managers, and they were supportive both ways and each time.

Good luck with the process I hope it all goes well for you.

Soldato
I just did to another function. Get on with my boss and his boss on both a personal and professional level.

My relationship with them allowed me to tell them when I was interviewing with the other role which they greatly appreciated and ended up supporting me.

Equally when one of my guys was exploring a good role I helped him get it and prep him for interviews.

I agree with the above; should be one of the first if you have a good relationship. It's good faith

Soldato
I say never allow relationships with colleagues interfere with your career.

Your reason for working. Should be to ear monies. Not make friends... If you make them then that's a bonus I guess. But you should never feel bad about moving on.

Think about it like this. If you wernt doing your job properly do you think your friend.... Sorry I mean boss. Would hesitate to dismiss you?

Soldato
Go explain the opportunity with him, explain that you'd like his opinion on it (even if you don't take his advice).

At the end of the day you have to do what's best for you, but it's never good to just dump a boss in it with out discussing it.

KaHn

Soldato
OP
Mate, I'd really think about this one.

Can you not get similar responsibilities, more money at your same place?

Not realistically, what we have done had gone as far as it can and now it's boring and dull day to day management. All the chance to shine and progress have gone from the role, this isn't a bad thing, I've made a good name for myself with the work I have done but sadly there's no development within that role or within that department. To go anywhere is to go outside unless my boss himself leaves.

Go explain the opportunity with him, explain that you'd like his opinion on it (even if you don't take his advice).

At the end of the day you have to do what's best for you, but it's never good to just dump a boss in it with out discussing it.

KaHn

Yeah I'm going to have a chat before I even apply. Bit irritating we are both currently on the road, deadline for job app is Friday and I won't see him face to face for about 12 days so I'll have to tell him over the phone which isn't particularly what I want.

I say never allow relationships with colleagues interfere with your career.

Your reason for working. Should be to ear monies. Not make friends... If you make them then that's a bonus I guess. But you should never feel bad about moving on.

Think about it like this. If you wernt doing your job properly do you think your friend.... Sorry I mean boss. Would hesitate to dismiss you?

I agree with this, but I'm quite honest about things and if I was performing **** enough to warrant getting sacked I wouldn't blame him being the messenger, it would be my own bloody fault :p

Back
Top Bottom