[Build Log] MODZERO FORTY - HEX GEAR R40

Associate
[Build Log] MODZERO FORTY - HEX GEAR R40 (Finished 3rd Dec)

3OCCGRs.jpg

Hey Guys, I'm back with another slice of build log goodness. This time thanks to sponsorship from HEX GEAR and E22 I'm going to be building in the all new HEX GEAR R40. I'm over the moon to have been given the opportunity and can't wait to get stuck in.

So HEX GEAR provided me with the 'Black R40 Premium Micro ATX case' and a 'R40 accent pack' (reserve in black).

E22 sent me a world of modding supply goodies which I'll post once the photos are done.

Currently all hardware is being provided by me with 99% of the stuff all bought and ready to go. These are the current planned specs. Although these may change as the build progresses.

SPECS:
  • Intel Core i7-2600K
  • Silverstone Strider Plus 1000W
  • R40 Premium Micro ATX case - Reverse Black on Black!
  • ASUS ROG Maximus IV GENE-Z68 MATX
  • KLEVV Genuine 2400mhz 16GB (4 x 4GB)
  • Asus GeForce GTX 980 DirectCU II OC Strix
WC:

• EK Water Blocks EK-DDC 3.2 PWM
  • EK Water Blocks EK-DDC Heatsink Housing - Black
  • EK Water Blocks EK-Supremacy - Nickel
  • EK Water Blocks EK-FC980 GTX Strix - Nickel
  • EK Water Blocks EK-FC980 GTX Strix Backplate - Black
  • EK Water Blocks EK-FC Terminal DUAL Parallel - Plexi
  • DarkSide - Dual LP240 Extra Slim Radiator
  • DarkSide - Dual LP360 Extra Slim Radiator
  • Bitspower DDC Top - POM Version
  • Bitspower Premium G1/4" Black Sparkle High Flow 1/2" Compression x12
  • Bitspower BP-BS30R G1/4" Black Sparkle Rotary 30-Degree IG1/4" Extender
  • Bitspower G 1/4" Black Sparkle Rotary 45 Degree IG 1/4" Adapter x6
  • Bitspower G 1/4" Black Sparkle Rotary 90 Degree IG 1/4" Adapter x4
  • Aqua Computer Aquatube Delrin Reservoir - black
  • Tygon R6016 Neoprene Tubing (1/2 - 3/4) Tubing
  • Mayhems X1 - Dark Red 1ltr x2
MISC:

• DarkSide - CONNECT Dimmable Rigid LED Strip White - 12" (30cm) x2
  • BitFenix Spectre PRO 120mm Fan - All Black x5

-----------------------------

The HEXGEAR R40 case.

zAIUuXq.jpg

The case is shipped flat packed requiring full assembly. The parts are very well packed with each component wrapped separately and all nuts/bolts bagged and labeled. The instructions are very clear making the build process a breeze and a pleasure.

W1tXtE6.jpg

The design is well engineered and once assembled it's a unit! very solid! It's packs some weight which really adds to that premium fit and finish. The Hexgear guys should be really proud of themselves, their first case on the market and it's a goody. :rock:

JU2QN6Y.jpg

The 'Accent Packs' are simple to swap out and they are all you need if you want to flip the orientation. The case I went with ships with white front/rear accent panels and I opted for the black reverse pack. I built the case stock, then swapped them out.

yGuiGsf.jpg

The case sits on two pieces of clear acrylic which make it appear as though it's floating (in the right light). You can also get rubber feet if that's more your thing. I'm hoping to have some lights escape the bottom of the case to amplify that look of levitation.

YI5mlEy.jpg
zFxWQ83.jpg

I enjoyed how all the bolts are hex and it came with the tools you'll need. The little details really show off how much time and effort has been put into the design.

hhHqvJQ.jpg
9NpqaH1.jpg

I didn't get into the internals as I plan to touch on that as the build progresses. Plenty more photos over on the Imgur album if you want to check them out. Next update I'll show the parts E22 sent over. I don't think this will take me too long to complete. I'm busting to get my teeth into it so expect updates to come thick and fast.

Thanks for checking it out. Let me know what you think.

J.

Last edited:
Associate
Excellent to see another build popping up. I'm in the process of doing one myself but don't see many floating about yet. I agree it's a well made case and well presented. Get cracking!

Associate
OP
Excellent to see another build popping up. I'm in the process of doing one myself but don't see many floating about yet. I agree it's a well made case and well presented. Get cracking!

Whats your log called? I expect we'll see more and more R40 builds.

Oh I really like this case, so looking forward to seeing the build. Subbed

Thanks chap, I've got a little modding to do on the mount plate and the ever lengthy task of making the PSU cables planned this week.

The issue I have, is the majority of the hardware is sat in this machine I'm posting from. So once I start transferring the hardware I'll not want to stop until it's complete.

I'll tackle the mount plate first, share that in the log. Post the E22 supplies, then get cracking on the PSU.

J.

Associate
OP
3OCCGRs.jpg

UPDATE 1

E22 have supplied me with all the modding supplies I need to make new cables for the Silverstone ST1000 along with the BitFenix Spectre Pro fans and some other goodies.

xzlxgnF.jpg

Fingers crossed I'll start the cables later in the week. E22 stock just about every connector type you'd need.

JbDuFYQ.jpg

Teleios Fusion R/B, I'll be using this on the main cables then Teleios black for things like the LEDs, Fans etc.

6zf1PcJ.jpg

18 AWG WIRE, they sent me 5 metres of the stuff.. which sounds loads.. but it sure doesnt look it. haha

d2rc2in.jpg
NhO852J.jpg

These are 3-pin fans so I intend to use a PWM switch and wire them all into that. I like how they have hexagons in the design. Currently thinking of using the 6th fan in the PSU and leaving the rear 120mm case mount empty.

6Gsgh2n.jpg

Stealth Combs Bumper Pack, should be plenty in there..

I'm hoping to get a lot done this week. I'll be modding the mount plate tomorrow, so that'll be the next update.

Thanks for checking it out.

J.

Associate
OP
3OCCGRs.jpg

UPDATE 2

Quick update. this is the R40's mount plate. The case ships with the blank plate but HEX GEAR offer a number of factory cut options if you want them.

I did this with a hand drill, a Dremel cutting wheel and a few files. Think i need some new tools, haha..

phFuwz5.jpg

9qWdSgy.jpg

EFabdaS.jpg
Top port will be swapped out with a 90' fitting and a fill port. Maybe the same on the bottom port for draining. I'll try the middle with an LED but I'm not to sure how well light penetrates the X1.0 Oil black.

gbkQMLQ.jpg
W7UbEoH.jpg
i5VIVMY.jpg

Time to put the blocks on the hardware and start fitting it into the case. Still need some RAM for this one. I've not pulled the trigger on the second 980 yet either, I can't make my mind up.. haha.

Thanks for checking it out.

J.

Associate
OP
Really looking forward to this being done, looks awesome. :)

Good fan choice. The hex pattern will match perfectly!

Thanks, I'm a little disappointed they aren't PWM but I've got a plan for that.

I'm liking the look of this build. Impressive to see what you can fit into that case. Just wondering why a DDC pump vs a D5 pump. :)

To be honest, I already had the EK DDC 3.2 PWM pump. So I rolled with it. Plus for the mount config I've used the D5 wouldn't have really worked out.

J.

Associate
Lovely looking photos. Is the 980 definitely going to fit with the pump mounted there? I went full retard and mounted my pump up before checking clearance and it was a no go.

Associate
OP
Lovely looking photos. Is the 980 definitely going to fit with the pump mounted there? I went full retard and mounted my pump up before checking clearance and it was a no go.

lol, I bet that upset you. There is plenty of clearance, the case is well thought out, that mounting plate is clear of even the longest GPUs.

J.

Soldato
Love this so far.

Question: that's an EK DDC pump with their DDC heatsink kit yet you fit a Bitspower pump top with no issues?

I know manufacturers say "can't be used with other people's kit or compatibility not guaranteed" to avoid RMAs and con you into buying their stuff, but I can't see how a mounting for heatsink and pump top couldn't be compatible with each other.

I'm looking at an XSPC top with EK pump and heatsink y'see ;)

Associate
OP
Love this so far.

Question: that's an EK DDC pump with their DDC heatsink kit yet you fit a Bitspower pump top with no issues?

I know manufacturers say "can't be used with other people's kit or compatibility not guaranteed" to avoid RMAs and con you into buying their stuff, but I can't see how a mounting for heatsink and pump top couldn't be compatible with each other.

I'm looking at an XSPC top with EK pump and heatsink y'see ;)

The DDC is the standard so all 'options' are based on that. You'll not have any problems as long as the parts you go with don't directly conflict with how they attach to the DDC. I preferred the EK DDC heat-sink over the BP version for its anti vibration mount. I preferred the BP pump top over the EK variant for it's cleaner design.

Hope that helps.

J.

Soldato
Cheers HackJoe, this is what I thought.

The XSPC top I'm looking is a multiport job but doesn't seem to have any unusual mounting to it. I'll probably grab the EK DDC and the XSPC top first to double-check.

Associate
Not to be a pedant but it wasn't enough to clear my 290x Lightning which I didn't even think was a long card! I opted for the extra mounting bracket for a d5 pump as well but ended up just using the standard plate and drilling it out where I needed it.

Looking forward to more progress.

Back
Top Bottom