***** Official 2015 BBQ Thread - Sun is out, time to broil!! *****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Oh, one more thing. I'm not sure if you've compared this but I've tried the SE oven wing recipe and I found it a bit blah personally (too much salt, weird bicarb taste and I prefer my chicken wings/thigh eat to be closer to confit in texture). As such, my new approach is to simply sous-vide chicken wings as though I was preparing a confit - salt, whatever other seasonings I like at 75C for 6-12 hours. After that I'll cool them as usual. Once I decide I want to eat wings I'll warm them just enough in the bag to strain off the chicken gelatin and juices and then just oven cook them (I'm sure smoking would work equally well). The juices can be used as part of a glaze/sauce if required.

I quite like this as the meat comes cleanly from the bone and as they're wings they retain a lot of moisture as you'd expect.

Soldato
Makes sense :)

Luckily I have access to a pellet smoker that can smoke at around 60-70C so I can give your technique a go. The ribs I absolutely have to try :)

edit: I think a lot of people are dismissive of sous-vide + smoke due to being traditionalists too. My personal believe is that if you can achieve the result you want then utilising different (and potentially easier) techniques is absolutely the way to go.

Yeah, there is a divide out there, just as there is outside of BBQ - people have misconceptions about SV and what it is all about. I did enjoy the chef steps videos with meathead that they did the other week showing him the results, he seemed happy to take on modernist techniques

Oh, one more thing. I'm not sure if you've compared this but I've tried the SE oven wing recipe and I found it a bit blah personally (too much salt, weird bicarb taste and I prefer my chicken wings/thigh eat to be closer to confit in texture). As such, my new approach is to simply sous-vide chicken wings as though I was preparing a confit - salt, whatever other seasonings I like at 75C for 6-12 hours. After that I'll cool them as usual. Once I decide I want to eat wings I'll warm them just enough in the bag to strain off the chicken gelatin and juices and then just oven cook them (I'm sure smoking would work equally well). The juices can be used as part of a glaze/sauce if required.

I quite like this as the meat comes cleanly from the bone and as they're wings they retain a lot of moisture as you'd expect.

I did wonder about doing SV wings, I meant to try it the other week as a test but never got around to it, but I didn't have any issues with the salt/bicarb - I know some people are more sensitive to higher alkalinity flavour than others though. Did you still get a crispy skin with that technique? I know it can be tricky once they've been cooked SV

Man of Honour
I think I might be more sensitive to the taste of bicarb than some, yeah. I also think that Kenji likes his salt a lot more than me or any of my friends. If using one of his recipes I'll often use between 1/2 and 1/3 of the suggest salt content.

The sous vide method I used was essentially making a confit so the skin ended up very crispy. The issue some might have (though I personally prefer the wings this way) is that the meat was 'fall off the bone' tender.

Associate
So ive got some chicken drumsticks that i've defrosted that i'm going to BBQ on saturday, any recomendations for a rub/marinade?

Associate
The whole burning off the manufacturing residue thing that's so popular on the internet is a load of tripe, there isn't any. Save your charcoal and just get cooking.

Permabanned
Want to try my hand at smoking something however I "only" have a weber one touch 57 cm.

Any ideas on what I could suitably smoke on this, given I will have about 7-9 hours time to cook, if I get up early and start it off. :)

Tea Drinker
Don
OP
Nice BBQ on the beach today, few bangers and some massive burgers.

All went down well and no real drama, was with the kids so no 5 hr burns just simple lunch. I like the way it'll have to be at least an inch full of either ash or fat to spill over. That means I can cook on the tailgate of my truck :D yeehar

Associate
My Weber Smokey Mountain turned up in the week and I did did my first smoke yesterday. I forgot to take pics of the meat, but I smoked 2 racks of baby back ribs with a rub made from whatever I could find in cupboard. Just thought I'd start with something simple for my fist time, they took around 4 hours and tasted fantastic.

I have a 4.5kg USDA brisket in the freezer, but I don't have the confidence to do an overnight smoke yet.

A821FCD6-3A32-45FB-8835-7D2588D757BC_zpszikval1z.jpg

FC66A92E-1D53-4112-A0FC-12C6D4F5F65D_zpsu30qicv6.jpg

Man of Honour
Want to try my hand at smoking something however I "only" have a weber one touch 57 cm.

Any ideas on what I could suitably smoke on this, given I will have about 7-9 hours time to cook, if I get up early and start it off. :)

anything you want . There's no need for an only in there. There really isn't a limitation other than size of grills rea, but that's still a substantial grill area.

Tea Drinker
Don
OP
Nice bit of topside been rubbed for 24hrs with a dark coffee molasses and spices rub.

Ash roasted corn on the cob

New potatoes par boiled, rubbed in olive oil sea salt pepper and garlic. Skewered ready to roast over coals.

Broccoli par boiled and ready to over the coals with a lemon better.

Permabanned
Ended up smoking some baby back ribs. They turned out ok, pretty tasty. However I put in too many coals at the start and it was too hot so they ended up a bit black. :p

Next time less coals and they will be perfect. :)

Soldato
Weather is turning so maybe the title is qutie accurate but we can still smoke big meat right?! :D

So, what slightly more out there recipes can I try? I've never done a rack of ribs so must do those but was thinking maybe a whole fish, maybe salmon? Hot smoked of course but those fish hooks are calling about to be tried!

Soldato
Weather is turning so maybe the title is qutie accurate but we can still smoke big meat right?! :D

So, what slightly more out there recipes can I try? I've never done a rack of ribs so must do those but was thinking maybe a whole fish, maybe salmon? Hot smoked of course but those fish hooks are calling about to be tried!

ribs are easy and lovely. make sure to remove the membrane

this salmon is great - http://virtualweberbullet.com/salmon1.html
needs fillets, but you could get a whole salmon and have it filleted, or just get one side. It lasts a while in the fridge after smoking it

Soldato
Hi chaps, been using a trolley kettle charcoal for years but fancied a gas setup as an alternative, so got both options. Went for a large napoleon grill with a rotisserie. Does anyone have any suggestions for meats on the rotisserie? I'm doing my first chicken tonight but want to try other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom