Rubbish Landlord!

Soldato
It's illegal for an overseas based landlord to rent out property in the UK without a UK based appointed person/agent whom the tenant can contact e.g. for repairs.

Man of Honour
Hi guys.

After some advise about my rubbish landlord. Basically the boiler to my flat has been broken for 6 days now, i phoned him everyday and said he will come and fix it but he has never turned up :(. What are my options for action?

Thanks.

use the kettle for washing and eat at McDonalds, job done.

Soldato
Tell your landlord that if he doesn't get someone round to fix it, you will pay to fix it yourself and take it off the next rental payment.

Be fairly nice about it though and shop around until you find someone with a good reputation for a reasonable price and provide options to the landlord, this will make it look like you are taking the urine with it and that you care about the quality of the work being conducted in his flat.

I did that with my washing machine, the pump went so I got someone out, and took it off my rent - it was all agreed with the landlord though and he was more than happy with it considering he didn't have to call people himself ha!

Associate
Call the local council since even though you aren't a council tenant, they can assess the situation and tell the landlord that specific items need to be fixed and if they don't get the work done the council could go as far as declaring the property unfit for human habitation and rehousing the inhabitants.

Caporegime
Not to be rude, but boilers are only expensive to low earners. My rentals are aimed at people who earn/worth millions. The Mayfair flat rents out at 15k pcm. Our house in the Seychelles rents out at 10k a week.

As I posted previously, my rentals are not aimed at people with no capital.

It's almost like the way you handle things is entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

Edit: Seems your claims have been debunked before I could get to them. Also you confused capital with disposable.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is why it is always handy to have an electric shower as it means you can still have a shower if the boiler is on the blink. Or old school immersion heater if you have a hot water tank.

Associate
Is there a valid gas safety certificate for your dwelling? It is a legal requirement for all gas appliances (supplied by the landlord) to be inspected annually by a gas safe registered engineer. You should be provided with a copy of it when you moved and each year.

If there isn't one asking for the current certificate should help motivate your landlord to send round an engineer sharpish.

Back
Top Bottom