• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 6600K Owners Club

Associate
I am starting to assemble my rig tomorow, specs in my sig.
I am hoping to oc this beastie a bit and see how it goes under air (Rajintek Tisis is a huge cooler so I hope it works well).
I am wondering if I may have problems because my ram is slower (2400mhz).
I couldn't get the 3000, they were all out of stock around where I live (or double the price at other stores).

Any of you oc'ing with slower ddr4's?

Associate
My i5-6600k arrived yesterday. *** please do not mention competitors and their pricing **** . Currently remaining in sealed box. Because the heatsink is yet to arrive / get back into stock.

Have also ordered some CLU and sand paper to LAP the IHS at a later date. Won't be doing that initially though. Just some regular paste to begin with while putting everything together.

Associate
hah I made the mistake of not realising 'retail' didn't include a heatsink anymore! So I had to wait a few days when I first got mine and had to separately order a cooler.

Permabanned
@ OCUK Staff,

Hi, Overclockers are promoting the 6600k as a 3.9ghz cpu on the store page. You have always promoted cpu's at there stock clock not the turbo clock so I thought I'd point it out so you can change it before it unfairly dupes someone.

Associate
hah I made the mistake of not realising 'retail' didn't include a heatsink anymore! So I had to wait a few days when I first got mine and had to separately order a cooler.

Ahh. Was discussing this with my friend the other day. He was sure the retail version came with a heatsink and the oem without. I thought neither had the heatsink. So the difference is just the packaging?

Associate
Retail comes in a box, which is sealed at factory. So as others have said here you can be fairly certain it's a randomly binned one. OEM doesn't come sealed. OEM version costs £10 more.

Associate
Given that the OEM isn't sealed then you've got no solid guaranteed it hasn't been pre-binned (a dud for overclocking). So therefore the clear winner is always retail. Providing they're both within price range of each other. Highest price != best version. There seems to be no such correlation.

Associate
As the prices are near as damnit the same then yes the retail one def seems the way to go. Never really thought about them testing them and selling the poor overclockers as oem, should be noticeably cheaper if so.

Associate
Well an OEM part from OCUK here is likely to be completely legit / trustworthy. It's other less reputable suppliers who might be more shady about it. Might as well get the nice looking box for it though. And being 'retail' would hold / maintain a better 2nd hand resale value.

Associate
retail has a 3 year warranty, OEM 1 year.

Ah yes. Now that is something I had entirely forgotten about. Although methinks these days all electricals sold within the EU now have a mandatory 2 year warranty. It's only the 1 year for other regions. Clearly 3 full years is still well worth it though.

Back
Top Bottom