• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Wow what a difference 5 year makes, cpu help needed

Soldato

So basically the same working life as SandyBridge? ;)

Though... I don't think it's possible to get a quintennial GPU, tbh. That sector moves a lot faster than CPUs. Personally I just set aside £200 every couple of years for a decent mid-tier graphics upgrade, since they'll usually just plug straight in to the same old motherboard :)

Soldato
Thats pretty much what I've ordered, except I went for the 970, I've always used v-sync in my games as I really don't like all the tearing and glitching you get without it, and now I've got a g-scan monitor coming too the 970 seems to make the most sense.

Cheers for all the advice, after looking at all the options I think 6 cores is the way to go, a quad core might offer a bit more performance now, but if games start to move on from 4 cores in the same way they did from 2 cores, then the 5820 will likely be the more consistent performer over the longer term.

It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but I don't want to save money via false economy.

No problem at all bud, great choices there;) i use AMD and freesync @144hz and it's truly awesome, remember you can and should (depending on what cooling you'll be using) overclocker that 5820K, it'll unleash the beast in games that aren't multi-threaded.

Associate
OP
No problem at all bud, great choices there;) i use AMD and freesync @144hz and it's truly awesome, remember you can and should (depending on what cooling you'll be using) overclocker that 5820K, it'll unleash the beast in games that aren't multi-threaded.

I'm using air cooling, I'm not sure if it's worth replacing the stock cooler as although I OC the CPU/GPU on my last rig using a updated cooler etc i think I probably could have got the same results with the stock parts. I'm pretty conservative so 10 to 20% is all I'd be after. Dunno if it's worth getting big heat sinks for that, the case is already large with lots of fans

Soldato
Depending on the case (and your desire to overclock) an AiO watercooler might well reduce the internal clutter for you. A hex core under water has the potential to be formidable for quite a long time :)

Associate
OP
Depending on the case (and your desire to overclock) an AiO watercooler might well reduce the internal clutter for you. A hex core under water has the potential to be formidable for quite a long time :)

I've gone for a fan based cooler, I'll probably want to OC at some point and I think a good air cooled system should easily see me get 10 to 15 % which I'd be happy with

Associate
Unfortunately you need a new CPU, motherboard, and memory.

£300 for the chip (CPU) won't even get a Skylake i7 (the i7-6700K is £320), as prices have gone mental. The i5-6600K is much cheaper at £195.

This is why people are saying if you're going for an i7 you might as well get a Haswell-E i7-5820K for £300 which has six cores.

On the other hand though, the cheapest X99 motherboards are a lot more than Skylake - £170 for an X99 motherboard - compared to as low as £90.

But if £300 includes CPU, motherboard, and memory I'm afraid the current gen is out of reach, as an i5 bundle would start at about £330.

Edit: alternatively you could wait for the lower range Skylake chips to come out, or look at a previous gen system.

You can actually get an Intel i7 6700K for less than £300. Not sure if it's against the rules to mention competitiors to this site but a certain site which is one letter away from spelling Ebayer has an i7 6700K for £300.86 with free delivery.

And Amazon have one going for £300 too but it's out of stock at the moment.

And if you use a site like Flubit or Bespoke you'll get an extra 10-15% off that too, so you'll be able to get one for around £255-270.

Soldato
Go with an i5, so that way you won't break the bank and it will fit your budget. Hell, you don't really need to spend the extra for OC either. It will more than last you until 2020. People that talk about i7 & X99 are talking about hopes rather than facts, as for now they still don't warrant their cost for gaming and multi-core optimization is still fraught with economical problems if nothing else, and let's face it, $ trumps all.

C64

C64

Soldato
I concur with the above 6600k £100 ish board and 8 or 16gb ddr4 even z97 and 4690k is still a great option the 5820k has it's arguments but it's paying now for something which may or may not happen.Until mainstream games are way faster on a 5820k vs quad at 4.5ghz what's the point.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom