• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Potential GPU Upgrade.

Associate
Hi guys, I've been looking at upgrading my gpu to a R9 390 this week. There are a few games I'd like to be able to play e.g. GTA V, The Witcher 3, Far Cry 4 at decent settings. Not sure if the rest of the system would be too much of a bottleneck.

i7 [email protected]
6GB ram
1080p monitor

I'm upgrading from a HD6950. The rest of the system will be upgraded eventually but would this upgrade tide me over for the time being?

Man of Honour
You should get a big increase in performance with the 390P but in the long term your next upgrade should be the CPU/mobo.

I have run faster cards on X58 @4.0 like a GTX 690 which was ok.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply, I thought it would be okay but always nice to get a second opinion. Looks like I'll go for it then, probably the MSI one.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the reply, I thought it would be okay but always nice to get a second opinion. Looks like I'll go for it then, probably the MSI one.

You will get some loss of efficiency compared to using a modern Haswell or Skylake CPU but it will still be a big jump in performance over your HD6950.

Back
Top Bottom