Spec me a bridge camera

Soldato
In the process of selling my Fuji X camera and lenses because they just don't get used.

I think I'm tired of DSLR/camera systems with interchangeable lenses. My first camera was a Fujifilm S9600 which I found much more enjoyable and convenient to use than any camera since and it took some pretty good pictures.

With this in mind, I've been eyeing up bridge cameras to replace it. My only requirement really is a fairly long zoom range (not the insane superzooms with tiny sensors) and a viewfinder.

At the moment I'm considering the Panasonic FZ1000 and FZ200 (because the FZ300 is only £100 less than the FZ1000 so doesn't make any sense). I haven't really looked at alternatives from other manufacturers but I've heard good things about the Olympus Stylus 1s too and the pocket-able design is appealing.

Usage is mainly holiday photos, family visits, etc. but I'd like to try some plane spotting photos (never got round to it with previous cameras).

Any opinions?

Associate
If image quality is paramount, the RX10 and Panasonic FZ1000/etc are pretty much the only options, as they are the only ones which use the 1 inch sensor. I've played with a FZ1000 in a store and I'm very impressed by the AF speed. It uses the Panasonic DFD system (or whatever it's called), and it's seriously quick. Almost DSLR quick, even at full zoom.

Soldato
OP
If you cant stretch to it and arguable the best image quality of any bridge camera, have a look at the Sony Cyber-shot RX10

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx10

Price seems to have dropped to around £500 now from its almost £1000 launch price (which was just silly)

Thanks but I didn't consider the RX10 because it doesn't appear to be as good as the FZ1000 and offers a smaller zoom.

Caporegime
Yeah zoom is smaller and no 4k video but that F2.8 constant through the range is the plus. Like smeghead said though, if you can afford it, I wouldnt be looking at any other bridge cameras but those two as everything else has smaller sensors.

Soldato
OP
It is through the range, but so is the Panasonic from 25-140mm. F4 from 140-400mm isn't too bad.

I think I'm settled on the FZ1000 but I need to try one out first. I was just wondering if it's worth twice the price of the FZ200?

Caporegime
It is through the range, but so is the Panasonic from 25-140mm. F4 from 140-400mm isn't too bad.

I think I'm settled on the FZ1000 but I need to try one out first. I was just wondering if it's worth twice the price of the FZ200?

its not though. From reviews the Panasonic is only f2.8 at 25mm. As soon as you zoom a mere fraction it jumps to f3.5 and the whole rest of the zoom range is f3.5 to f4.

But its still not bad though and much better than a lot of other bridge cameras when you factor in the affect with much larger sensor.

Personally I think it is worth twice the cost as I have always been disappointed with the pictures from my previous bridge cameras with tiny sensors when you look at a 100% crop.

And the extra large sensor helps a lot with the bokeh.

Soldato
OP
Hmm, I must have misread somewhere about the 25-140 aperture range. DPreview seems to confirm that it's only f2.8 at 25mm.

I think I would struggle with the RX10 stopping only at 200mm though. Does it have a way of cropping like the Panasonic for extra reach?

Associate

I think it is worth it. FZ200 sensor is very small compared to FZ1000, even though FZ1000 is only 2.8 at wide angle, it is still a larger sensor, and will produce better quality images than the FZ200. DoF would be nicer too :)

It is very quick in focus, I have used one briefly and I liked it.

Only other options are RX10 / RX10 II but they will be more expensive I think.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I'm leaning towards the FZ1000 over the RX10 when comparing both. They're now around the same price, and whilst the constant aperture of the Sony seems better, I'll prefer the extra reach and the other features of the Panasonic (the folding/tilting screen particularly).

Caporegime
Yeah I'm leaning towards the FZ1000 over the RX10 when comparing both. They're now around the same price, and whilst the constant aperture of the Sony seems better, I'll prefer the extra reach and the other features of the Panasonic (the folding/tilting screen particularly).

Yeah it does seem the Panasonic has a bit more going for it including the reach, 4k video, screen etc.

Suppose with a fixed lens that should be the most important decision factor - length or aperture. Theya re both capable of taking stunning photos.

Personally I could live with f3.5 to f4 and would go for the reach if you are going to take that kind of photos which you suggest you will.

Soldato
OP
Canon have just released the G3x which has the same 1" sensor as the RX10 and FZ1000 but also has a 24-600mm lens. No viewfinder though and pretty expensive.

Yeah, that's why I didn't even consider it. No vari-angle tilty screen either and it's only f2.8 at 24mm, rising to f4 by 50mm and 5.6 from 200mm so the Panasonic lens is probably better overall (and can crop to 600mm anyway).

Soldato
OP
So I've had the camera a week or so now. Some thoughts (although I haven't had a chance to take it somewhere to do 'proper photography').

tumblr_nw3jckjE0F1tmpw2mo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nw3jckjE0F1tmpw2mo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nw3jckjE0F1tmpw2mo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nwd3bcD0sx1tmpw2mo1_1280.jpg

I don't like EVFs. I don't know what it is, but it's the same feeling I get after spending all day working at my PC, except it happens after minutes.

The lens and sensor is nice, but there is noticeable noise after ISO400. Another issue is that whilst the camera is hefty and solid in the hand, when zoomed in it's tricky to hold steady because there is no weight in the lens itself. IS is working overtime (and boy you can hear it).

In operation there's also a certain slowness that annoys me, just moving around menus and from playback to shooting (another that the lens retracts and extends every time too).

Battery life is also an issue.

So with this in mind I'm going to return it. For the price, it's an excellent camera, and for most people, it'll be a great trade off between convenience and ability. I think, in hindsight, that I'm going to return to where I started: an OVF and APS-C and look at a 2 lens setup (prime + telephoto zoom) to minimise faffing.

Canon 100D w/ 24mm STM and 55-250 STM for £531.55 after cashback seems like a good option.

Last edited:
Soldato
The FZ300 is a great little Bridge tbh, It has a very good view finder, touch screen with touch to focus/shoot.

Also has the new 4K photo burst mode which is very good, weather proofed and the f2.8 constant through the zoom.

It's a shame it's not got the 4/3 sensor like the FZ1000 but it's been done for cost, the FZ1000 does not have 4K photo, also no touch screen, not f2.8 constant, and is a lot bigger with a shorter zoom.

Soldato
OP
The FZ300 is a great little Bridge tbh, It has a very good view finder, touch screen with touch to focus/shoot.

Also has the new 4K photo burst mode which is very good, weather proofed and the f2.8 constant through the zoom.

It's a shame it's not got the 4/3 sensor like the FZ1000 but it's been done for cost, the FZ1000 does not have 4K photo, also no touch screen, not f2.8 constant, and is a lot bigger with a shorter zoom.

Did you even read the thread? :p

Also the FZ1000 does do 4K photo burst mode and it's sensor is 1" type, not 4/3.

Soldato
So I've had the camera a week or so now. Some thoughts (although I haven't had a chance to take it somewhere to do 'proper photography').

I don't like EVFs. I don't know what it is, but it's the same feeling I get after spending all day working at my PC, except it happens after minutes.

The lens and sensor is nice, but there is noticeable noise after ISO400. Another issue is that whilst the camera is hefty and solid in the hand, when zoomed in it's tricky to hold steady because there is no weight in the lens itself. IS is working overtime (and boy you can hear it).

In operation there's also a certain slowness that annoys me, just moving around menus and from playback to shooting (another that the lens retracts and extends every time too).

Battery life is also an issue.

So with this in mind I'm going to return it. For the price, it's an excellent camera, and for most people, it'll be a great trade off between convenience and ability. I think, in hindsight, that I'm going to return to where I started: an OVF and APS-C and look at a 2 lens setup (prime + telephoto zoom) to minimise faffing.

Battery life on the 1000 is pretty poor, I took one out for a day and managed to get 4 hours out of it, some photo and some 4K video.

The OIS while very good, is noisy and you can hear it quite a bit, i also found it odd that the zoom only goes to 400mm on photo mode yet in video it will do 500mm.

Focus was an issue in video mode i found, hunting around quite a bit, and i found i would have to force it quite a bit, so was disappointed by that.

Soldato
Did you even read the thread? :p

Also the FZ1000 does do 4K photo burst mode and it's sensor is 1" type, not 4/3.

I haven't read the whole thread no, being lazy :p

Has it been updated then ? as it did not do it when released, it does 4K video with photo mode, but it did not do 4K burst like the new FZ300/G7?GX8 !!

Have you considered the DMC-G7 there is a cash back on it now, and is another great camera, except for the oled view finder you may or may not like.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom