Spec me a travel camera

Soldato
I'm going to be doing a few trips over the next few months such as Paris, London, Prague etc and although I'd like to take my D810 and lenses it's not going to a photography trip as such and I want something more compact and still good quality.

I've looked at the Fuji range such as the X100T or X-Pro 1 but honestly I don't know much about the Fuji range or what is best suited to Travel/Street photography.

Then I've spotted the Sony range of compact cameras and they looks really good also.

Any ideas/recommendations

Caporegime
The Sony A7 series sounds right up your street TBH. A body and a couple of lenses (a prime and a 24-70 f/4 for example) would be pretty light but very capable.

Only downside I've seen when looking at them is the battery life, but that seems to be prevalent on all non DSLRs.

Soldato
OP
The Sony A7 series sounds right up your street TBH. A body and a couple of lenses (a prime and a 24-70 f/4 for example) would be pretty light but very capable.

Only downside I've seen when looking at them is the battery life, but that seems to be prevalent on all non DSLRs.

Thanks for the reply.

I've been tempted by the A7 (well the A7R II) but I think that would be if I decided to do a complete change from my Nikon which I don't want to at the moment.

The A7 from what I can see is still £1600+ with a couple of lenses which is probably more than I wanted to spend. I had around £900 in mind especially when you can get the X-Pro 1 for less that £700 with a couple of lenses and case.

Associate
Sony A7 and any old manual wide prime, or even zoom (Tamron Adaptall SP 24-48mm is compact and sharp). You just missed out on double cashback that made the A7 just £599.

I have just got the A7ii and it's fantastic.

Caporegime
Any of the Olympus or Panasonic M43 cameras are perfect for travel, huge lens selections, many of them incredibly small and light. Cameras perform very well.

You could also consider a Nikon 1 since you have Nikon lenses, the FT1 adapter is by far the best adapter of its kind, F-mount lenses work really well on the Nikon 1 cam,eras. The latest models new are way over priced but the older discounted ones are bargains. Very fast auto-focus, closet to the D810 you will find. The smaller sensor facilitates smaller lenses but obviously you pay for that when the light is short. The lens selection is too small to be a full system unlike the M43 system, but as a travel camera they work well. The AW1 works great for holidays where you might be snorkeling, white water rafting, playing in the sea/pool etc.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the ideas everyone, I'm having a loan of a Fuji X-Pro 1 this week so I'm going to have a play with that and see how I get on with the small camera.

Associate
RX100 III or IV if you want a pocket solution, or a Panasonic GX7 with 12-35mm would be a small travel camera (expensive though). Sony A6000 is not bad with kit lens and will do if you do not need a fast aperture lens.

Back
Top Bottom