What internet speeds do you guys actually get?

Associate
4696321238.png

Bad few weeks, need to get interleaving turned off so I can get back closer to 4Mb

Soldato
This is standard for me in North Wales and has been for the last four years, no LLU in my exchange so no practical / affordable alternatives. :mad:

Luckily a new cabinet appeared in my village in the spring and started taking orders this week :D

Don
It's a bit slow yeh I keep meaning to do something about it but it's the best we can get in our building. The house I live in is a VERY old apartment block and the wiring going from my apartment to outside is at least 100 years old (it uses the original round phone connector things) but BT/Openreach say they won't replace it because it's not their responsibility and the people who own the building won't replace it (they won't even replace a collapsed ceiling in the communal hall). Most ISPs won't sell us broadband as our quoted speed is about 200kb max, it took months of bargaining with TalkTalk to have them install an internet service here (BT wouldn't go near us and could only offer us dialup) and we had to sign something to say we understand that the service will be slow/unreliable. It's better than nothing though

Move

Man of Honour
5mb down, 1mb up. No news on LLU/Cable/Fibre coming to my street yet, I suppose I should be thankful for the ADSL2+ upgrade a couple of months ago....

(still don't really understand it either as I live in a suburban area full of people who would pay for faster connections if it was available... the exchange is fibre enabled, elsewhere in the town has Virgin so the cost of expanding can't be that prohibitive.... anyone who offered a faster service would literally have people queuing up to hand over their cash)

Soldato
If you're aware then stop using 'mb' to represent Megabytes. :p

I hate this as well, "mb" is easily one of the most widely misused units everywhere on the internet.

EDIT: Oh, also, along with "meg" - literally the most meaningless unit ever created by a layperson. Do they mean megabit? Do the mean megabyte? Do the mean megawatt?? We'll never know, because usually they don't know either.

Last edited:
Caporegime
<10 Mbit down, <0.8 mbit up.

The EU basically paid BT to put in FTTC down here in Cornwall, but they still want to charge full price to end users. Fudge them.

Back
Top Bottom