Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Filled out the form from logging into MyVirginmedia earlier on, Had to pick self install and a day for delivery guessing we are getting a SH2, got the old SH1 at the moment not that it gets used as a router anyway. But thats all turning up on tuesday :D

Soldato
Put the order through for 100Mb -> 150Mb but hasn't updated itself yet. Tried rebooting a few times.

Anyone who has done the same (not through retentions but through MyVM) got the speed boost?

Soldato
Yep! SH2ac?

Yeh with all settings to max performance not range.

This was her test

4709641820.png

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Is £31.25 per month a rip off? Should I give them a call and try to bring it down? I only have the broadband without the phone or TV.

I've seen a VM van around my area twice or something like that, the upgrade is suppose to be rolled out in November.

Soldato
Put the order through for 100Mb -> 150Mb but hasn't updated itself yet. Tried rebooting a few times.

Anyone who has done the same (not through retentions but through MyVM) got the speed boost?

It takes a while, I put mine through at around 10-11 AM this morning and the Super Hub rebooted itself on the new speed at around 4:15 PM

Associate
I am being bumped from 100mb up to 150mb in November, i have super hub 1 will
I need super hub 2 to get the benefits?

the wire from the street to my house is now about 15 years old.

Last edited:
Underboss
Well my VM chap came out, replaced the SH2AC and the switches, replaced alk the wires.

Getting 162mbps at peak time. My upgrade is in so should be sorted soon.

Associate
So I have been a customer for over 8 years with VM.
I trialed and tested there 100mb service prior to it being out to the public and gave valuable feedback...
I have also successfully recommended 2 customers in the last 5 years to join VM, the most recent was my father.

So for the past 5 months I have noticed they have reduced my loyalty discount and I am now paying the following -

£15.50 a month for 100mb (used to pay £11 a month)
£17.50 a month line rental (used to pay 13 a month, equivalent, on a line rental saver)

My father is paying around the same if not a little bit more for a 50mb service although he has only been a customer for around 15-16months

Today I spent around 45mins on the online chat and tried to negotiate a better deal and when asked to leave the lady simply disconnected the chat - rude!

I called up after work to try and leave and they basically offered me the following deal -

£15.50 a month for 100mb
£165 line rental saver (Equivalent to £13.75 a month)
12 month contract
£50 credit to the account

so in total it would be equivalent to £25 a month

Just checked Uswitch - http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/splash/15718?_cid=120625624

for £2 more I can be a new customer and go for the same deal (although be it a 18 month contract!

Not impressed so I cancelled both mine and my fathers contracts and am hoping someone calls back to better a deal.

What do you guys think?
Played it well or should have taken the deal?

Associate
Just got off the phone with retentions, contract is up in 11 days. (been with them for 4 years).

I was getting
100Mb BB
XL TV
Tivo in living room, V+ in bedroom
M Phone and line rental for £49pm.

I was happy with that and was willing to continue, but i was told they could no longer honour that deal and it would be £60 (18 month contract) from now on, i decided to cancel there and then. I'm not going to pay £11 pm more for the same deal, Especially as they want me on an 18 month contract.

No deal!

Soldato
i just phoned them again and finally the woman upgraded it to 200Mb. at first she was making out the price would go up if she does it, then after explaining to her it's a free upgrade she then did it....

also the price am paying as gone down from £59.xx too £56.65

Last edited:
Soldato
i just phoned them again and finally the woman upgraded it to 200Mb. at first she was making out the price would go up if she does it, then after explaining to her it's a free upgrade she then did it....

also the price am paying as gone down from £59.xx too £56.65

I tried calling them yesterday, and they were telling me the same. They can't do anything, it's not on the system, I'll have to wait until February.

Even though the service checker was showing I'd get 200Mb as a new customer.

I called through to retentions again, and the guy on the phone was able to do it within seconds and then told me he's jealous of all the upgrades because his won't be ready for a while.

So either they were talking smack yesterday, or the system has been updated since yesterday.

Is the upgrade from 100mb to 150mg free?:o

They're "free" as with all the other upgrades. They put the price up a bit.

I'm quite happy however as my price is down to £29, whereas I've been paying £39 for the past few months after renegotiating my contract.

Soldato
I'm on virgin 50meg and yesterday I started to have high pings and could not play any online games,I've checked to see if there was any problems on the status page for my area TF7 and all it said was there was a problem with emails.

So I phoned up support and they said there was no problem with my conection and then the chap said it could be a virus,can it be this?

Just did a fresh install and I've still got the problem,any ideas on what to do is there a good free antivirus program that I can get,I always install Windows security and up date and run it every day.o

Soldato
I'm on virgin 50meg and yesterday I started to have high pings and could not play any online games,I've checked to see if there was any problems on the status page for my area TF7 and all it said was there was a problem with emails.

So I phoned up support and they said there was no problem with my conection and then the chap said it could be a virus,can it be this?

Just did a fresh install and I've still got the problem,any ideas on what to do is there a good free antivirus program that I can get,I always install Windows security and up date and run it every day.o

Unless you are an Internet noob no the answer is no and you should have laughed in the face of the virginmedia rep!

Run a speed and ping test to several fifteenth servers tracert different websites to find out your problem.

Soldato
I let the guy have remote control of my PC and told him to try a tracert and they all timed out as did the ping.
I'm going to do another install and start from there then I'll be back on the phone or on their forums.

Back
Top Bottom