Old Petrol Cans - Empty for 4 Years, Safe?

Man of Honour
I have a couple of these.

sip04568_1_zps3eabggn6.jpg

Both had Super Unleaded in them about 3 years back, but have been sealed and empty ever since, sitting in my garage. Will it be OK to refill them with fresh pump Super Unleaded or will their internals have degraded causing muck to enter the fuel I put in them.

Thoughts?

Man of Honour
OP
Excellent. I want some VPower, drove to my local one (8 miles away) to find the pumps 'broken' this evening, which of course made me happy.

Associate
The paint often flakes off, but they'll be fine.

I'd recommend using a decent filter like a Mr Funnel anyway when transferring fuel from any container.

Soldato
Just remember you can only store 2 x 10l metal cans of petrol at home. 2 x 5l plastic cans.
Andi.

Lol, like anyone ever takes any notice of that!
I have 4 x 20L Jerry cans in the back of my 4x4 :D Admitedly it's a diesel one now but it used to be a very thirsty V6 and I don't fancy running out while in the middle of nowhere while sunk to the axles in a peatbog :D

Associate
Maybe slightly OT as the OP has not said he wishes to store this fuel... but, is it not the case that petrol goes off quite quickly when stored?... even for short periods, like a couple of months or so?

Man of Honour
OP
Maybe slightly OT as the OP has not said he wishes to store this fuel... but, is it not the case that petrol goes off quite quickly when stored?... even for short periods, like a couple of months or so?

It's for my race car. I can't simply drive it to the pumps and petrol prices at the track are taking the pee usually.

Back
Top Bottom