BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Bimmerpost and E46Fanatics, yeah they're pretty luls for that :D

I remember seeing recently a very nice F80 M3 that an owner sold to another bimmerpost member (some local US tuning company) who then proceeded to butcher it. The ex-owner popped into the new thread and offered to buy it back to save the car from its cruel fate :p:D

Soldato
Does anyone know what are the best size tyres for the 130i LE?

Looking to ditch the run flats but not sure whether to go 225/40 front and 245/35 back, or 225/40 front and 255/35 back.

Thanks

Soldato
In fairness on the flip side there are also plenty of guys on cutters who have purchased M3's for track and weekend toys who have done the above and more and see plenty of track action.

Who's car is this in question as not seen this one unless it's the chap on there who has just started his build which in fairness is fair enough if he just wants to build the car and be complete before he goes on track.

Whereas I prefer the whole bit get the car, track it, change something, track it and rinse repeat to see how things have improved.

When I got my M3 I managed a 1:28 at Donny but the car was badly setup with a poor choice of parts. Now I'm in the 1:21-1:22 region and hoping to be faster again once diff is in. :)

No, I completely agree with you. In fairness, I don't really browse around Cutters, if anything I tend to glance at the for sale section every now and then. Most of my experiences with the wider forum stem from things I'm shown by others who do use it often so I probably see more of the bad than good.

There's definitely some damned good knowledge on the forum, and a fair few chaps that do many of the mods and know exactly why they're doing them and what impact it'll have on the car - but there's also a few who see the majority buying certain parts and will do the same with no idea why other than 'lowz innit' (in the case of coilies) :p

I'll see if I can find out who's car I was referring to was - I'm sure the chaps I went to the Ring will know for sure.

Soldato
Some of the model specific car forums are funny. The amount of times I have seen build logs with cars that have every expensive part under the sun, only for them to be used once a week to pootle around town with. There's one guy in the states who built a replica ek9 civic, did a good job with it, but won't tell anyone what engines in it. As he fears it will be stolen.

Seriously?

Soldato
Changed the oil + oil breather on the 330i today. Old oil was black and nasty, couldn't see any signs of metal filings in that or the oil filter. Replaced with Shell Ultra Helix 5w-40.

Engine drained 5.5litres. The oil breather was a PITA to change as the clips are pinch type to take it off. Couldn't do it like that so broke the clip. Good thing I did as the previous owner had bodged the pipe with duck tape! He managed to split it down the middle some how.

All in all took me ages as I inspected everything while I was under there. Going to watch the oil consumption now and if there isn't any improvement I'll have a look at replacing the ccv +h hoses.

Oil breather from ccv/engine was quite dirty with oil. Couldn't see any sludge but it was murky brown inside at both ends.

Soldato
Can someone help me out with tyre sizes? I've got a 325i with 161 wheels on, which are 8" wide at the front, and 8.5" at the rear.

Both http://www.wheel-size.com/size/bmw/3-series/2012/#trim-325i-usdm and http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/ imply that I should have a 255 40R17 on the rear. However, the car actually has 225 45R17 fitted all round (CSC2's).

Is this right? It's been into the dealer who didn't raise anything, but did let me know the tread was low on the rear. What's the likelihood that the previous owner put the wrong tyres on the rear?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I think the M2 looks amazing. If I didn't need lots of space it would be a contender.

Personally the only modern BMW that I can't stop looking at when I see one is the 6 series coupe, less so the Gran Coupe, but that is still very pleasing to the eyes from all angles. All other models just look awkward from one angle or another, and look identical from a distance either from the front or the back and the wall-like side profile panels just don't do it for me!

Soldato
Thought I'd diagnose the CCV as being bad today. First did the oil filler cap trick to see if the suction was very strong, it wasn't, there was a slight suction then that was it. Thought I'd wait for the car to get upto operating temp and check then. Still ok, so that's good for me.

So I went for a drive, the oil change has done the car good, car seems much smoother then it was, and engine seems a tad quieter too. Dislike the fact the service indicator says change in 15k miles, lol no thanks. Will be changing again in 6k miles and keep it at 6k intervals.

Back
Top Bottom