*** The Official Samsung Galaxy S6/Edge Thread ***

Associate
How are you using your phone?

If you use Google Maps with GPS on for about an hour or so you'll struggle to get more than 2 hours of SOT.

If you watch a few YouTube videos you'll also struggle.

Light web browsing only on WiFi might give you a bit more I suppose.

Some people disable loads of things on their phone in order to get good battery life. They'll post all about their awesome stats and it's when you dig a little deeper you find that they've disabled loads of things that you shouldn't have to.

I personally think you shouldn't have to compromise your usage habits in order to get good battery life.

Soldato
I haven't disabled anything, thanks. I can't be bothered with package disablers etc. For the five hours SOT I get I'm mainly browsing here and some other sites like GSM arena etc. Watch a couple of youtube vids and use whatsapp as well :) Edit. Battery is on 41% after leaving it off charge over night and I've already had 3 hours and 5 minutes SOT.

Soldato
had a oneplus one then I moved to a s6 edge because I wanted something smaller with a better display and camera but now I'm very tempted to try and get a oneplus two in the open sale.

Associate
I struggle to get more than 2.5hrs SoT, I even returned it to Samsung 2 weeks ago to look at it, they replaced the battery however this has had no improvement.

The issue I believe is more due to standby drain than the screen draining the battery. My phone never goes as flat (little standby drain) as Taurens. If I have the device on for a long period at a time then I can get a better SoT, i.e. yesterday I was watching the rugby for 2 hours solid on my device and I managed to near 4 hour SoT on a charge, whereas most days Id use the phone in bursts of 15minutes causing the much reduced 2.5hours SoT.

Im trying to diagnose the reason for my drain, Ive tried uninstalling facebook, bbc news,all email accounts- pretty much anything that polls in background with no improvement in battery.

Quick questions
Average Battery SoT:
Average time between charges:

1. What Network provider are you on?
2. Are you on a network branded phone?
3. Do you leave 4G on all day?
4. Do you turn wifi on?
5. Do you have bluetooth on?
6. Location Services left on?
7. Use Facebook app?
8. Email which automatically syncs itself?
9. Do you use your phone in - many short bursts or few longer periods?
10. Screen brightness setting?
11. Charging Method: (Quick Charger, standard, wireless)
12: Usage (Internet, Youtube, Camera, Calls):

Last edited:
Soldato
Average Battery SoT: 5 hours

1. What Network provider are you on? : sure mobile
2. Are you on a network branded phone? : No, sim free (French model from handtec)
3. Do you leave 4G on all day? : I've set my phone to 3g only. But yes data is activated all day all night.
4. Do you turn wifi on? : WiFi is left on all day, regardless of being connected or not.
5. Do you have bluetooth on? : No, Bluetooth is off.
6. Location Services left on? : these are all on. Mostly for the weather app.
7. Use Facebook app? : yes. This has always been installed, including messenger. And whatsapp.
8. Email which automatically syncs itself? : yes. Gmail only. I don't use the other mail client.
9. Do you use your phone in - many short bursts or few longer periods? : I use it in the morning before work (30 mins) my lunch (30 mins) and then on it most of the time after work on and off.
10. Screen brightness setting? : set to auto and slider set half way.
11. Charging Method: (Quick Charger, standard, wireless) : all three. Depending in weather I stay at mine or I stay at my other half's house.
12: Usage (Internet, Youtube, Camera, Calls): mostly chrome/whatsapp/messenger/facebook usage, a bit of youtube. Occasional camera shot.

1JjNHDxl.jpg
gBoHpWMl.jpg

Also. I haven't got NFC turned on either. I've no use for it!

Soldato
I struggle to get more than 2.5hrs SoT, I even returned it to Samsung 2 weeks ago to look at it, they replaced the battery however this has had no improvement.

The issue I believe is more due to standby drain than the screen draining the battery. My phone never goes as flat (little standby drain) as Taurens. If I have the device on for a long period at a time then I can get a better SoT, i.e. yesterday I was watching the rugby for 2 hours solid on my device and I managed to near 4 hour SoT on a charge, whereas most days Id use the phone in bursts of 15minutes causing the much reduced 2.5hours SoT.

Im trying to diagnose the reason for my drain, Ive tried uninstalling facebook, bbc news,all email accounts- pretty much anything that polls in background with no improvement in battery.

Quick questions
Average Battery SoT:

1. What Network provider are you on?
2. Are you on a network branded phone?
3. Do you leave 4G on all day?
4. Do you turn wifi on?
5. Do you have bluetooth on?
6. Location Services left on?
7. Use Facebook app?
8. Email which automatically syncs itself?
9. Do you use your phone in - many short bursts or few longer periods?
10. Screen brightness setting?
11. Charging Method: (Quick Charger, standard, wireless)
12: Usage (Internet, Youtube, Camera, Calls):

The S6 hammers battery in weak to low signal areas, no fix for it.

kbc

kbc

Associate
I have an S6 Edge (NOT PLUS) and my screen on time is poor. I have 40% battery left and screen on time so far was 1 hour 36 minutes. So yes, I suspect my experience is like dbeckett.

I've not disabled anything or tweaked anything. This is normal right? Or am I doing something absolutely wrong here. My battery chart is nowhere near level and is a steep downward trend. :o :(

Tauren - is that the Edge+ ?

Last edited:
Soldato
How are you able to get such good SoT ? Quoting your last use patterns, its like me, but why is mine so poor? My phone is only 2 weeks old. Gold 128GB version.

Not sure? I've recently had a small update which adds app optimisation to the battery menu. Not sure what it does though. Not sure why they're so different!

That's pretty good standby time - looks like less than 10% for about 14 hours. Do you typically have good signal? Only two bars in the screenshot!

I typically have about two to three bars out in the "sticks" but around the town I have full signal. I don't use 4g as it seems to be always little to no signal. So keep it on 3g only.

My S6 was the same as you, had to charge it twice a day just about every day.

I've only had to charge mine twice a day on a couple of occasions. When I've been hammering the games.

Associate
Not sure? I've recently had a small update which adds app optimisation to the battery menu. Not sure what it does though.

According to some posts on xda that update seems to be a back port of the marshmallow "doze" feature, whose goal is to improve battery standby by hibernating apps so they consume less battery.

Permabanned
According to some posts on xda that update seems to be a back port of the marshmallow "doze" feature, whose goal is to improve battery standby by hibernating apps so they consume less battery.

Looks interesting, new app optimizing menu, automatic, power saving and disable for.

Power saving seems to be the same as the auto shutdown option after x amount of time with no interaction, benchmark results are same so no reduced performance.

I have no idea how automatic works, "disabled for" just disables optimizations.

Might help stop certain apps draining the radio, but so far not noticed any difference.

Back
Top Bottom