Why isn't my car selling?

Soldato
The fact that its mileage doesn't match its age make me think its overvalued. However, the typical buyer of this car would think the opposite.

The problem is that's a relatively old car (in terms of design) and there are better alternatives around that price range.

E.g. Fiesta mk6, Grande Punto, Micra mk3, Fabia, C3, Panda, Aygo, etc.

You need to price it to sell, not to sell at a fair price... because that could take ages. I'd drop the price to match the equivalent 206s and Corsas.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28677971 said:
I know this. You know this.

The average buyer of a 1500 quid 2007 Ford Ka does not know this and probably wouldn't get it even if you explained it to them.

Similar to all of those people who were still paying £60,000 for an X6 last year even though it was fundamentally 2003's E60 on stilts..

average buyer dont buy a 2007 KA for £1.7k

Associate
I would be scared of how much welding it needs underneath as they are complete rust buckets.
My sister had a KA and it just never sold. In the end there were rust spots popping up all over and then the engine went bang, so we just scrapped it :p

Same situation. My sister had one (i think its 2004. basically the same as this one, black 1.3 60k miles leather etc) It has been on the drive for about a year since she got a new car.

I put it up for sale, no interest. Saw that there were thousands of them for sale staring at £300. Dropped the price, still not interest. Eventually took it for an MOT and it had structural rust. Its now due to go to the scrap yard.

Associate
Personally, I'd sell to one of those "any car" places / part ex. and get shot of it.

There's so much choice around that end of the market that a KA would be way, way down the list.

Soldato
This should be an easy sell if its clean and tidy.

It's worth about £1300.

I think your problem is you're missing all the people searching at £1500 and under. Drop to £1495 and see what happens.

Hopefully you get someone turn up with their daughter for a first car. If you do and she likes it play hardball on the price - he'll pay to keep her quiet!

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Pop it in for a fresh MOT, drop the price by £200 and see what happens.

EDIT:- I see the price drop of £200 has already happened but I'd still put a fresh MOT on it.

Soldato
At £1495 it's far more appealing. See how it goes. I'm afraid you are going to get hagglers too though so may get less than asking still. I reckon £1400 is probably where buyers will want to be, perhaps not what you want to hear but I have seen plenty at £1200 and they get £1k when sold. It's just in a crowded market place right now

Caporegime
Put a fresh MOT on it, I would hope it will pass without wanting too much doing to it, the fact it's got ~6mths MOT left just makes me wonder why you've not put a new one on it, buyers may wonder why too.....

A new MOT if nothing else says its recently passed and therefore won't be a total heap.

£1399 too imo.

Friend bought an 06 one of these recently for £1100, 55k miles, one owner from new...

Soldato
Put a fresh MOT on it, I would hope it will pass without wanting too much doing to it, the fact it's got ~6mths MOT left just makes me wonder why you've not put a new one on it, buyers may wonder why too.....

There must be some properly paranoid people around. I certainly wouldn't expect someone to put a new MOT on a cheap car that has 6 months remaining unless I was buying from a dealer.

Caporegime
There must be some properly paranoid people around. I certainly wouldn't expect someone to put a new MOT on a cheap car that has 6 months remaining unless I was buying from a dealer.

It's a simple matter of presenting it as a good buy, a new MOT says a lot more about the car to buyers than 6mths remaining IMO.

The only time I've not put a fresh MOT on a car I'm selling (privately) has been when to do so would have been excessively costly and this exactly what I assume if I'm viewing a car with a relatively short MOT - why not put a new one on it???

If it still had say ten months left then fair enough but with six months left IMO it's a good move for the seller as it speaks volumes to the average clueless buyer as to the cars condition.

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem is the KA has a bad rep, which it does deserve. They are known to fall apart and die after about 50k miles. So unless it's in perfect condition, has FSH and recently MOTed, people will not even consider it. They are a problem time bomb waiting to happen.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Something not selling, it's either advertised in the wrong place, poorly advertised or most likley too expensive

I once advertised a car that didn't sell for 2 months.

During those 2 months I made no change to the price or the areas in which it was advertised, or the advert itself.

It sold for asking price.

Not suggesting the same is the case of this particular Ford Ka but it's simply not true to repeat the tired 'If it isnt selling its too expensive' line, there are often other reasons.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28683500 said:
I once advertised a car that didn't sell for 2 months.

During those 2 months I made no change to the price or the areas in which it was advertised, or the advert itself.

It sold for asking price.

Not suggesting the same is the case of this particular Ford Ka but it's simply not true to repeat the tired 'If it isnt selling its too expensive' line, there are often other reasons.

But it's a KA. Bottom of the Ford range, budget city car and all that. And as several of us have said you can get plenty of cheap KA's. OP said they wanted rid by end of month too not wait the 8 weeks you did...

Man of Honour
But it's a KA. Bottom of the Ford range, budget city car and all that. And as several of us have said you can get plenty of cheap KA's. OP said they wanted rid by end of month too not wait the 8 weeks you did...

I specifically said I wasn't referring to the Ka, but his general comment about when an item isn't selling.

Back
Top Bottom