Midlife Crisis, am I having one?...

Suspended
I had one of those! In green with yellow details. I'm 32 and have just started watching BMX videos again which kind of makes me want to give it another go.

It was a classic bmx. Looked similar to this, although the mag wheels were different:

mon.jpg

Haha, I wouldn't give it another go, I'm 30 and I don't have the skill set required anymore.

Last edited:
Caporegime
i used to get bmxs from tip do em up sell em :D

you look on the bay now and see some of the rarer ones and you like :eek:

i always preferred araya drilled rims over skyway :p

Associate
I had Grifter.

This is bike people make when they have 300ton of left over scaffold tubes and decide to make a bike.

Oh and those special gears that stop working after 1.5miles.

my brother had one of these it got passed to me after he bought a chopper off his mate.

we also had a bike called a black horse it was heavier than the Grifter and was a monster of a thing to try and get up a hill as a kid

Soldato
Until not too long ago I had a fully restored PK Ripper in my garage - and I'm 44! Never used to ride it that often - but..it was nicked from my garage within a few hours of the last time me using it to go to the shops. Insert sad face here.

Associate
A UFO interceptor, make sure you insure it.

I always wanted a Griffter, mate had one, in the snow 1/2 deflate the tyres, wicked fun.

Always wanted the Green thunderbird with the yellow baby vehicle inside it too. Ahhh...

18midm3lrx546jpg.jpg

Soldato
I'm 43 in December.

This summer I started Wado-Ryu Karate again (having last done it in 1987)

My wife/mates/parents all think I am bonkers.
my wife said 'it's a strange way to have a mid-life crisis.... but a lot safer than a motorcycle'.

My coaches think I am an Inspiration apparently - as I now practice it 3 times a week - 7 hours in total.... and I have attended related courses and competitions..... I am actually loving it. I now feel fitter than I did in my teenage years and I enjoy the friends I have met through it as a hobby. In fact - I wish I had restarted it earlier.

Last edited:

LzR

LzR

Associate
OP
Don't worry about it and just buy one ;)
Looking :)

If you're getting one to ride at a bike track/ramps or to do stunts on then that's fine.

If I saw a 40 year old riding to work on a BMX though I would chuckle to myself. :D
There's a guy that rides past mine every day on his way to work and yes he does look like a tool.

Do downhill mountain biking instead.
I already do, i was stopping and having a break (trail riding) when two guys came flying past on BMX's, they were the coolest dudes I have ever seen.

I had one of these, never really did any BMXing.

I had a women's fur coat collar wrapped around the rear seat upright bars. My chums would sit on the back and hold on for a seater. Classy I know.

ChopperScan25.jpg
Had one too, but in addition i had a long 70's style fibreglass car aerial attached to the seat upright, with a flag on top, how cool was I... ;)

Jay

LzR

LzR

Associate
OP
I loved my BMX when I was a kid. I was raised in a relatively poor family and always made do with cheap stuff. Then one day a local rich kid's BMX got stolen and his dad bought him a brand new one. A couple of months later the stolen one was found again and was dismantled and put in a box in the attic. I eventually offered him R150 for it (roughly £50 in today's money I would guess) and he agreed, but it came in bits, so as a teeny tiny tot I built it all by myself and it was my baby. I'll never forget it.

Mongoose frame, Redline bars, GT forks, all chrome. I even had my own little bottle of Silvo for it. That thing was bad ass.

I'd love it back again, but sadly it's disappeared into the memory banks.
Nothing like building your own. After having my 'factory' Super Tuff Burner I wanted something more bespoke. Minerva freestyle frame, skyways, redline bars, all white and blue, lovely :)

Jay

Associate
I was roller blading at 40 :D

And I used to love climbing over all the inflatable courses when I took my daughter swimming :) she's all grown up now :( I would look a bit silly doing it on my own :rolleyes:
Looking forward to grandkids so I can play like a big kid again :p

Back
Top Bottom