**** The Official Google Nexus 6P Thread ****

Associate
Discussion here btw: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/z9BfgJRQjFE

Edit*
It seems the charging source has to be compliant with USB Type-C, so it cannot simply be a USB charger that outputs 5v and 3A or more, it must be USB C compliant, so have a Type-C port and use a Type-C cable. So QC2.0 is the better fast charging technology at present as it's not dependant on cable or plug type, but instead just that both ends handshake via their QC2.0 ICs and negotiate the correct current and voltage to use.

I'm very surprised that Google didn't offer an official car charger for sale along with the mains chargers. Hopefully one of the press reviews will have tested the Vinsic VSCC205 that you and many others have referenced.

Man of Honour
Aye! Vinsic one arrived today. I need to figure out how to test amperage output on each port. Someone on reddit said they tested and confirmed 3A when only 1 device is charging, but it splits when 2 are connected. I have no reason to plug in a 2nd device, I have an Aukey 4.8A QC2.0 one if I do need to charge 2 devices one day so at least both will get 2.4A each at the minimum.

Edit*

Looks like a 6P dock is on the cards.

This: http://www.kidigi.com/index.php?route=product/product&productlist_id=8&product_id=112#.Vh_BavlVhBd

But there's more, add these:http://www.znaps.net/ and you get magnetic charging dock tht retains fast charging. Somewhat makes up for lack of wireless charging? :p

Last edited:
Associate
Aye! Vinsic one arrived today. I need to figure out how to test amperage output on each port. Someone on reddit said they tested and confirmed 3A when only 1 device is charging, but it splits when 2 are connected. I have no reason to plug in a 2nd device, I have an Aukey 4.8A QC2.0 one if I do need to charge 2 devices one day so at least both will get 2.4A each at the minimum.

I don't own one, but the £25 PortaPow Premium USB + DC Power Monitor has been reviewed well.

But there's more, add these:http://www.znaps.net/ and you get magnetic charging dock tht retains fast charging. Somewhat makes up for lack of wireless charging? :p

Those magnetic adapters won't ship until January 2016, though.

Soldato
On a different note, are we really expecting standard 2.0A car chargers to NOT charge the phone when its going flat out? (Wi-Fi, 4G, GPS, Screen on).
Charger i have is a 2.0A charger and it suits my N6 fine, it just doesn't charge very quickly.

##EDIT##
Correction, my car charger is this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0088U4YAG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
So thats 2.1A per port worst case im guessing.
Desciption cleary says:
Code:
USB Port 1 (labeled as A port, Designed for Apple products) Compatibility 
iPad @ 2 Ampere Max. 
iPhone / iPod Touch @ 1 Ampere Max. 
Others phones / GPS / Tablet etc. @ 0.5 to 4.2A Ampere Max. (May not support charging / or slow charging with some devices) 

USB Port 2 (labeled as NA Port, designed for non apple products) Compatibility 
iPad @ NOT Compatible 
iPhone / iPod Touch @ 0.5 Ampere Max. 
Others phones / GPS / Tablet etc. @ 1 to 4.2A Ampere Max.
So if the wattage is fine, i'm guessing quick charge is on the menu for me. :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Goddamn iPhone video :(

The 2A chargers will charge the phone, but at 2A, so standard rate as per existing phones. For fast charging you need to have a Type-C port charger with 3A on the 5V line. The Type-C port is needed as it carries additional pins that a MicroUSB/USB to Type-C adapter won't translate to the C end of the cable/adapter.

Soldato
Goddamn iPhone video :(

The 2A chargers will charge the phone, but at 2A, so standard rate as per existing phones. For fast charging you need to have a Type-C port charger with 3A on the 5V line. The Type-C port is needed as it carries additional pins that a MicroUSB/USB to Type-C adapter won't translate to the C end of the cable/adapter.

I'm happy with normal charge rate tbh.
As long as it charges up, even slowly, when going flat out, i'll be happy.

Associate
I decided to cancel my order with CPW last Saturday. I phoned again today to query why my money had not yet been refunded. They hadn't bothered to release the funds. Awesome. Now to wait another week.

Soldato
The only things on my mind about the 6P thus far are the following:

1) it had better have no issues with it as there aren't any other devices that jump out at me like the 6P

2) I hope standard Android 6 is at least almost as customisable as CyanogenMod 11 (4.4.4). Assigning functions to the menu and back buttons on lock screen is very handy. For example, I just press and hold menu button on lock screen and it toggles on the torch.

3) Hope I can install some tweaks from XDA etc.that will allow me to,
a) Swap the back and menu buttons, as I'm used to the Samsung layout,
b) Change what pressing the menu and long pressing the home buttons do. I like long pressing home button for recent apps, and menu button for the, I dunno, menus? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
The only things on my mind about the 6P thus far are the following:

1) it had better have no issues with it as there aren't any other devices that jump out at me like the 6P

2) I hope standard Android 6 is at least almost as customisable as CyanogenMod 11 (4.4.4). Assigning functions to the menu and back buttons on lock screen is very handy. For example, I just press and hold menu button on lock screen and it toggles on the torch.

3) Hope I can install some tweaks from XDA etc.that will allow me to,
a) Swap the back and menu buttons, as I'm used to the Samsung layout,
b) Change what pressing the menu and long pressing the home buttons do. I like long pressing home button for recent apps, and menu button for the, I dunno, menus? :D

Number 3 of these should be available if not now but in the future if you have a rooted phone. The lock screen though isn't customisable like it used to be with widgets, Really one feature being missing that has annoyed me since Lollipop. So you'll probably have to install CyanogenMod or something along those lines to get those features.

Stock android does include a flash light toggle under the notification shade.

Soldato
Number 3 of these should be available if not now but in the future if you have a rooted phone. The lock screen though isn't customisable like it used to be with widgets, Really one feature being missing that has annoyed me since Lollipop. So you'll probably have to install CyanogenMod or something along those lines to get those features.

Stock android does include a flash light toggle under the notification shade.

Can that be access from the lock screen on 6?

Back
Top Bottom