mazda 3 - mps body parts fit not mps?

Associate
I don't think people have an issue with you getting your car mapped its the fact you think it's going to have 245bhp with some simple supporting mods, because the guy taking your money said so. It also doesn't help that you started the thread off asking about MPS body parts fitting.

I've actually had my 2.0 TDI jetta (non DPF) modified, hybrid turbo and supporting mods. Sold to me as 230bhp (originally 140bhp). But I don't believe for a second its much more than 200bhp. It'll do 0-60 in around 7 second and a quarter mile pretty similar to my old 182, at the same time as not blowing out any black smoke, improved power range, and returning low to mid 50mpg on every tank full.

Going back to the remap, you need to be a big more realistic with the power figures, DPF delete may add a little power, but it isn't going to make the difference you seem to be thinking. You also need to be careful your car doesn't leave massive clouds of black smoke whenever you put your foot down, as a lot of cheap high power remaps do (not suggesting this will be).

I'm sure the car will feel faster and drive better after the remap and stuff is done. You just need to be careful who you get to remap your car as it can go horribly wrong.

Associate
A turbocharged petrol engine will give you that same torque surge as it comes on boost. If you didn't want to rev your Clio to 6k in case it blew up (are you sure it wasn't because it was a banger) then you might as well not rev your diesel any higher than 3.5k in case it too blows up.

Funny thread, I remember I was once as deluded and clueless as you. Take on board what people here are telling you, you'll feel less like a **** when you look back in a few years time.

When i read that OP preferred a diesel over rev happy petrols; deluded and clueless is exactly what jumped into my head too :p

Caporegime
Thing is, I too would prefer a turbocharged engine after driving say a naturally aspirated 2.0 renaulatsport clio 197. Its a preference thing at the end of the day. Some people like high revving natural aspirated englines kike Honda VTECs, others prefer turbocharged delivery.

Thing is, the Mazda 3 MPS is a turbocharged Petrol that behaves much like the diesel. Everything you say you like about the diesel, applys to the MPS too with the exception of fuel economy, and the addition of a much better exhaust note and a wider power band.

So when talking about the MPS, all the points you make about wanting the diesel over the MPS are ultimately making the same case for the MPS. So you're not explaining why you prefer diesel.

We all know the reason people prefer diesels. Its all about the MPGzzz and the cheap tax. Hence why the OP is watching his instantaneous MPG constantly and noting whenever it changes and trying to delete it to ensure he never gets less than the stellar MPGzzz he bought the car for.

Associate
Done 25k in my MK2 3 MPS now.

To be fair, it does drive a little like a diesel - there's a fair bit of low down torque.

MPG wise I get about 30 to the gallon just about. That's running on Shell VPower.

I'm joining the bandwagon here to state that you're best off leaving the car stock and then get an MPS later if you want one. I'd expect 'interesting' insurance quotes if you had a 245 bhp derv with an MPS body kit on them - the kit will make the car look like an MPS and a few years ago they were being stolen to order (that said, my insurance is pretty cheap these days on mine - 400 quid/year fully comp with business cover).

Soldato
Done 25k in my MK2 3 MPS now.

To be fair, it does drive a little like a diesel - there's a fair bit of low down torque.

MPG wise I get about 30 to the gallon just about. That's running on Shell VPower.

I'm joining the bandwagon here to state that you're best off leaving the car stock and then get an MPS later if you want one. I'd expect 'interesting' insurance quotes if you had a 245 bhp derv with an MPS body kit on them - the kit will make the car look like an MPS and a few years ago they were being stolen to order (that said, my insurance is pretty cheap these days on mine - 400 quid/year fully comp with business cover).
Most people who do these mods don't realise that they have to declare every little mod to the insurance nowadays otherwise it can void the insurance. Then when they bend u over for the extra £ it works out u might aswell buy the real thing lol.
When where MPS's being stolen to order? 99% of people dont even know what they are :D they are very sleeper looking compared to other hot hatches.

Associate
I only pay £173 a year for my MPS then again I only cover 8,000 miles a year and have 11 years protected NCB behind me. An that covers social domestic pleasure and business usage. The sad fact of 28.1 MPG still haunts me when I press the "info" button so I tend to not look at it lol.

To get a rise out of an MPS for example you have to uprate the fuel pump inners to a HPFP, change the down pipes, resonator delete, air intake, get a cobb access port and a couple of other things. This is to take an MPS over 300 BHP (42 BHP increase) and costs in excess of £1200 if you use the better components.

I personally would never trust a company to map it for me unless it could be proven by a rolling road. To gain something like 60 or so BHP from a simple remap.. No I can't see it somehow.

Don't get me wrong it's your car you can do with it as you please, but once you declare all the mods to your insurance and the body kit change they will hike the price up by a fair ol whack. Personally speaking I would keep it as is an then in the future when you're feeling a bit flush for money get an MPS they will be cheaper by then.

Soldato
As someone who owns and st tdci that is remapped and egr blank and a straight pipe, I would say whatvyou are wanting to do isn't worth it. You haven't considered that you will probably need better injectors, fuel pump and probably a clutch and fly wheel with the power gains you want. Also I would think having 245hp it will have well over 350lb ft of torque so you might want and LSD so you don't have insane torque steer and one wheel peel power as that will cost you a lot in front tyres. Also I don't know how good the stock brakes are on the diesel compared to the MPs, but with more speed you might want more stopping power as well.

Tbh the car will run great on stock parts short term, but If you drive it like a hot hatch then its going to break and end up a very expensive Mazda.

Soldato
Pffft. Since when has a simple remap required better injectors, fuel pump, LSD and brakes? You can do a remap, and that's it. Maybe a new clutch, but most likely only if your current one is on the way out already.

Soldato
OP
Diesels Respond better to a remap than their petrol counter parts anyway.

Dont need new Injectors, Pumps LSD or breaks unless im going for 260+ imo, which I'm not.

Will be happy with 220 to be fair. Its already 295ft torque, so i don't want to put more than 350 through the clutch.

Don
Diesels Respond better to a remap than their petrol counter parts anyway.

No they don't - both Turbo Diesels and Turbo petrols respond to remap equally well. A non-turbo Diesel doesn't respond well to a remap. Most of the remapping gains are from increasing boost.

Will be happy with 220 to be fair. Its already 295ft torque, so i don't want to put more than 350 through the clutch.

Any increase in torque is going to put more stress on your clutch, it is just a question of how much sooner you will wear the standard clutch out. Obviously the better maps will limit torque in the lower gears, and go for a more drivable map, rather than all out bhp/torque figures.

Man of Honour
Remember you will have to declare the mods so that will also push up the premium / price too. :)

I'm all for car modification (I do it too) - and it's your car and you should do what you feel will make you happy. However remember people will give their opinions if you ask for it! :)

Personally whilst I can understand the want of the DPF filter removal, I personally think it is not a very socially responsible thing to do - everything else though knock yourself out. We all want a nice looking car.

I think people are just challenging you because you'll be spending a lot of money to make your car look nicer - but for the similar amount of money you could get a car which already has all of that incorporated.

Associate
The difference between getting 30mpg and 50mpg at 12k miles a year is roughly £800 a year. Obviously the more miles you do the more you save.

Though once you start adding power/torque, handling upgrades and bodykits/wheel, etc, that £800 a year soon disappears. Especially as standard parts like the clutch and dmf fail and need upgrading to handle the power.

Back
Top Bottom