On-Call rates

Associate
My work place has recently been discussing what an appropriate on-call rate would be as some of us that are on-call feel the rate is low for what we cover.

I supposed this could apply to any job sector that requires an on-call shift, and on that basis the on-call rate would change depending on the job. For my place it is the IT sector, or 3rd line IT support.

My work place has it at £25 per weekday day and £50 per weekend day (includes Friday). Shifts are on a rota of every 6 weeks where you'd cover 4 weekdays and 1 weekend in a given month. As it is a 6 week rota there can be some months where you are not on-call at all.

I was wondering if anyone would like to share what kind of on-call rates you have (for those that have on-call shifts) or if not what you would expect to be a reasonable rate?

Caporegime
Varies from industry to industry and work place to worrk place and even job.

At our place the mechanics get £200 for a weekend but the drivers only get £395 for the whole week

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

My work place has it at £25 per weekday day and £50 per weekend day (includes Friday).

That's comparable to what I used to get at Hewlett Packard.

What do you get per callout in addition? We got 3hrs per callout (if you gaot called withing 2hrs of the prev callout it didn't "trigger" another callout though).

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
That's comparable to what I used to get at Hewlett Packard.

What do you get per callout in addition? We got 3hrs per callout (if you gaot called withing 2hrs of the prev callout it didn't "trigger" another callout though).

We get 1hr per call out, even it is only a 5 minute job, we only recently got that agreed as it never use to be like that. Like you the trouble is if we got called twice within the same hour it still only counts in the same 1hr hour of overtime.

Soldato
Ours is £315 retainer per week plus the hours you do, so that works out at 35 retainer for weekday, £70 for weekend and more for bank holidays xmas cover etc.

Usually weekday evenings are okish, may get the odd call. Weekends you go either way, lots of calls or completely dead

They didnt used to have retainers though but luckily i joined as people were kicking up a fuss about it, so i had maybe 3 months of just the hours

Last edited:
Soldato
£1,200 a year for doing 1 week in six

so some months you get paid for doing nothing, and the weeks you are oncall nothing ever happens. Basically, it's £1,200 for maybe 5 calls in the entire year.

Soldato
How many calls do you get though? Cant be that much surely as it would drive you insane always having to be alert on your own with no roster and a break

Soldato
£30 for weekdays and £45 for weekend days. I moved to a different role so don't do it anymore. It those that do operate 1 week in 4. There is basically no onsite out of hours of hours, so you effectively get paid for responding to probably a maximum of 5 emails a week which usually means no more than an hour on a laptop in 5-15 minute bursts.

Caporegime
How many calls do you get though? Cant be that much surely as it would drive you insane always having to be alert on your own with no roster and a break

Some people love it. Theres a guy at our work who is on call 46 weeks of the year.

He doesnt drink so there is no issue there.

SOme weeks he might get called out twice (gets overtime rate for any call out). other weeks hes called out 10+ times.

Some weeks like that he earns a small fortune though.

Soldato
£100 for a weekend (£50 extra on top for bank hol).

Then for any work done - 1.5x pay for Saturday, 2x Sunday and BH (in 15 min blocks) also get time in lieu for bank holiday work.

Used to be a nice earner with a small dept, but now there are more heads your weekends are further apart.

Back
Top Bottom