On-Call rates

Permabanned
When I was in the UK, I would get a basic of £3k added to my salary.

Then each call was a minimum of 4 hours pay at the standard overtime rate.

Would be on-call 1 week in 6, 1 in 7 for a while when someone else joined.

Haven't done that in a while though, don't need to...

Soldato
yep, my wife looks after some very vulnerable people and earns very little :(

I also thought that. Your on call rate is more then a nurse (working unsociable hours too) would get a week. Nothing against you earning it though. :)

I get £0 and respond on a best endeavours basis (about 1 call every other month). If they made it official then I would likely be on every other week so would prefer to avoid that but can see it happening sooner or later. :(

Associate
Used to get around £400 per week plus overtime.

I moved roles and stopped doing oncall and to be perfectly honest, it was the best thing to get your life back. You have to put a price on your social life and work out if the benefit of oncall out ways what you'll be missing out on.

Don't forget its not £400 in your pocket either as its subject to tax/NI.

And you also open yourself to all sorts of issues if you can't be available right away. Make sure you find out what is expected of you in terms of getting connected, i.e. do they expect you to be connected within 30mins?

Caporegime
I wouldn't go on call for less than what my salaried hourly rate worked out to be, with the appropriate uplift for evenings / weekends. I'd also expect that if I got a call at 4am that I wouldn't be coming in the next day until the afternoon. If you want me to be within a few minutes of a laptop and be tied to a functioning Internet connection then you need to pay me as though it was the working day.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Mine is crap (IT Sector)
Retainer is £10 a night, £15 for 24 hours on a weekend, full week on every 6 (supposedly)
If I get a call out it's min 2 hours pay @ x1.5 hourly rate.
Not worth it for putting my life and often by proxy my families life on hold for that week.
I complain about it to my management whenever I can.

Similar here though I don't do it - £64 or £67 for 1 in 4 weeks (I think its 67 for weekend cover and 64 for week days - that is total not pay for individual days), call out at 1.5x hourly min 2 hours. Fair few do it as usually they only have to do anything for about 2-3 hours a month tops.

Soldato
Was about 5 years ago, but IIRC it was £200 for a week (1 week in 4) plus double time for any callout with a minimum of 2 hours (so 4 hours pay).

One callout I remember in particular was a 3 hour drive to a customer site to spend 15 minutes swapping over a monitor and a 3 hour drive back home... great fun :p

WHo paid for that fuel and the 6 hour driving? :O I would have counted that as work tbh.

Soldato
Our on call is £250 for the week, plus £10 for each unique call. So if you get 10 people ring up about the same issue you only get £10 but if 10 people ring up about 10 seperate things you get £100

Back
Top Bottom