Here it is the new BMW M2

Sam

Sam

Soldato
I sure hope that they have made the engine more resilient for track day exploits, blowing up my M135i @ bedford wasn't much fun :rolleyes::o

I'm looking forward to reading some proper reviews, anyone know when the press get to drive the car?

Sam

Soldato
I sure hope that they have made the engine more resilient for track day exploits, blowing up my M135i @ bedford wasn't much fun :rolleyes::o

I'm looking forward to reading some proper reviews, anyone know when the press get to drive the car?

Sam

Was it you or StephenB that tuned the hell out of their M135i?

Sam

Sam

Soldato
The only modification to the car since new were black kidney grills which BMW fitted on pdi.

Without going into too much detail ... it had to have a new engine and i believe the bill was over 15k. It was all covered under warranty with no questions asked and the service i got from my local BMW service centre was second to none.

I have to say it wasn't a very nice experience and for me disappointing as i bought the car so i could use it as a bit of an all rounder and this really put me off. The car had done 30 laps at the ring over 2 visits and then only this evening track session, the car had plenty of oil and was treated well but i think in the end oil starvation was the issue and it did a bearing. I've since seen another thread on pistonheads where it happened to someone else, i think from memory BMW at first wouldn't pay but in the end covered all costs after he mentioned he would take it legal.

Sam

Last edited:
Soldato
The only modification to the car since new were black kidney grills which BMW fitted on pdi.

Without going into too much detail ... it had to have a new engine and i believe the bill was over 15k. It was all covered under warranty with no questions asked and the service i got from my local BMW service centre was second to none.

I have to say it wasn't a very nice experience and for me disappointing as i bought the car so i could use it as a bit of an all rounder and this really put me off. The car had done 30 laps at the ring over 2 visits and then only this evening track session, the car had plenty of oil and was treated well but i think in the end oil starvation was the issue and it did a bearing. I've since seen another thread on pistonheads where it happened to someone else, i think from memory BMW at first wouldn't pay but in the end covered all costs after he mentioned he would take it legal.

Sam

Eek! One of the modifications they've made to the engine in the M2 is to "secure" the oil supply under high lateral loads.

Maybe I won't track my M135i again!

Soldato
Lucky he/you got repaired cars if the BMW warranty terms specifically excludes track days.

The BMW new vehicle warranty T&Cs DO NOT specifically exclude track days, although it appears that the BMW insured warranty (the one you buy when your new vehicle warranty expires) DOES specifically exclude track days.

BMW UK said:
The purpose for which your BMW was designed and built was as a passenger carrying vehicle under normal driving conditions. This BMW Retailer Warranty does not extend to faults that arise as a result of the vehicle being used for racing, rallying or similar competitive sports.

None of the above relates to a track day.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll take the 1M.

Looks far better. And will continue to maintain its crazy value.

Interesting statement. Leaving the subjective looks aside, & given that there are only 400-500 due to land in the UK, what makes you think the 1M residuals couldn't be viewed as a precedent?

I'm sure someone here had a link to a website that showed how many of each model BMW had sold?

Can anyone remember what the 1M sold for when new / how many they sold / how well specced it was in comparison to the M2?

Soldato
The 1M retailed at 40k brand new.

4/5 years later. They linger between 35k and 50k.

I came across one with over 40k on the clock going for 35k sterling. That car is special... M3 CSL special

Soldato
Yep, as DAIR said. The difference is the 1M was a limited run model with only 450 coming to the UK ever. The M2 isn't limited, is a standard production car (albeit in smaller quantities), similar to the M3 & M4. Residuals will be good, like all M cars are, but they won't be 1M/M3 CSL good (at least IMHO).

Soldato
Whatever the number was. It was low / limited. Didn't they make a little over 6000 for the entire planet.

panthro's referring to the M2 (and Kingy's post), not the 1M.

1M was, as you said, a limited numbers car. The M2 isn't, and it's just the rumour mill that says there will approx. 500 units (PER YEAR mind) for the UK.

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
On the track:

The hell is that noise on the upshift?! Went out in an A45 at the last southern meet and the upshift pops had me giggling like a small child, however I think after a while it would grate on me. The M2 there just sounds like it's had a particularly heavy curry the night before, not a fan.

Man of Honour
I need to talk myself out of thinking that selling the S2000 and getting one of these on PCP is a good idea. As it's a really bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom