Macbook pro, imac 27 5k or Build a rig

Associate
Hi guys need some advice hopefully its the right place

Im looking for a setup to do some video editing. Im not lookihg to game as I have consoles and another rig for that. Its just going to be a work horse.

Ive been looking at either a macbook pro 13" base model (£999) or go full and buy an iMac 27" 5k (£1449).

Now i know i can build a rig i have some parts left over from my previous rig that i can use but i will still have to buy a CPU, RAM, MOBO, GPU and a monitor

For convenience im looking at the imac, for portability im looking at the macbook pro and for bang for buck its the self build so that is why I need your help

Commissario
Discussion of self built Mac computers (Hackintosh) is not permitted here so people won't be able to comment on that option, assuming that's what you were suggesting.

Of course, if that's not what you were thinking of, then all is good :)

Associate
OP
Discussion of self built Mac computers (Hackintosh) is not permitted here so people won't be able to comment on that option, assuming that's what you were suggesting.

Of course, if that's not what you were thinking of, then all is good :)

I was not talking about hackintosh just mention a regular build to run windows

Any reason why you would not go for the 15"? That has the grunt for video with 4 cores/8 threads. Get a dock like this and it turns into a desktop:

http://eu.hengedocks.com/pages/vertical-macbook-pro-retina

I have just had a look at a website which told me that the refresh for the macbook pro is round the corner so i think i might go with the imac 27"

Soldato
When you say "workhorse", do you mean a machine that will literally be used for work or is this a hobbyist kind of deal? If the former, take the Hackintosh out of the equation, or accept that: some things will not work; you will have problems with updates; things will break from time to time. It's inevitable. Actual details, you can Google, as Feek said we can't discuss them here.

You need to focus on what your requirements are first, as you've basically listed all possible options (a self-built PC running whatever, or a Mac "of some kind").

EDIT: I see you've posted an update. Save your money and stick with a PC unless you desperately hate Windows and want a Mac (I am one of these creatures). Linux is another option but it's not quite as ... nice as OS X for desktop use.

Associate
If you use particular software, the OS makes only limited difference. Ie. if you have Adobe Premier and you use it 95% of the time, things mostly work the same under Mac and Windows in terms of the workflow.

Personally I find it very difficult to recommend the current iMacs due to Apples insane pricing of SSD drive-upgrades. However, if you think the 1TB Fusion drive is ok and you are fine with using external storage for your video editing needs (not a bad option), the middle-tier model of 27" iMac offers decent package of performance and price especially considering the screen included. Since the memory slots of the 27" model are user accessible, it is ok to order it with 2x 4GB sticks and add your own 2x 8GB DDR3 so-dimms (check compatibility before you order). This gives you access to a nice amount of ram for a decent price.

The low-end 27" model desperately needs the Fusion drive / SSD upgrade as built-to-order option and therefore becomes almost as expensive, so it is just not worth buying, since the middle model comes fusion + better GPU.

The new 21.5" model also suffers from the lack of fusion drive. Also, since memory is soldered to the motherboard, you "need" to order it with 16GB -> cheapest 21.5" model worth ordering as built to order is £1439, being again almost as expensive as the 27" epic-screen model.

For the laptops, similar caveats apply. Memory is not user-accessible -> I'd recommend ordering 16GB anyway for editing.

If you want a mac just to test one around, the cheapest 13" retina macbook is a nice tool for that.

Associate
OP
I'll be popping into an Apple store today and will give them a try and see whats the best option.

The editing software will be Adobe premier

Associate
OP
Right picked up a 13" macbook pro base model i am going to try it out and see how i get on with it and as the sales assistant said, if im not happy with it i can exchange it or get a refund so i have 2 weeks

Back
Top Bottom