Caught Speeding

Associate
I can't find the article but here is a quote from 'Mr Loophole' ....

“The first thing is the legal principle called de minimis, which means it’s so slight that it’s not really infringing the law,” he said. “At 51mph, 52mph [on a 50mph road], you are certainly de minimis. It would be an enormous waste of taxpayers’ money to pursue this type of very trivial prosecution.”

So I guess they could take it to court will you would most likely get off with it.

Man of Honour
I can't find the article but here is a quote from 'Mr Loophole' ....

“The first thing is the legal principle called de minimis, which means it’s so slight that it’s not really infringing the law,” he said. “At 51mph, 52mph [on a 50mph road], you are certainly de minimis. It would be an enormous waste of taxpayers’ money to pursue this type of very trivial prosecution.”

So I guess they could take it to court will you would most likely get off with it.

Whilst it's unlikely that the force would summons you for such an offence, if they did, a magistrate could still convict. I'm not saying this is normal; it's incredibly rare, but it is possible.

Man of Honour
Am I being dumb or do you mean 46? I can't tell :(

If they note that you are being fined for going 51 in a 50, they're not being pedantic over by 1kmh as you were actually going 56kmh. They take off the 5 from your actual speed before they write your ticket for the lower amount.

Soldato
If they note that you are being fined for going 51 in a 50, they're not being pedantic over by 1kmh as you were actually going 56kmh. They take off the 5 from your actual speed before they write your ticket for the lower amount.

Surely you mean 46 not 56? As if they got you as doing 56 that'd mean you were doing 61.

Man of Honour
You're making my head hurt:

Speed limit: 50
Actual speed: 56
Speed on ticket: 51
Receive fine for going this many kmh over the limit: 1

People think that when they receive their ticket that the Swiss rules are really pedantic without any leeway, but actually you can go 5kmh over without being caught.

Soldato
I'm quite sure it's not legally possible to get done for 31 in a 30 zone there is a law which prevents this because it's not possible to enforce the exact speed limit or some other laws which would make the enforcement more dangerous than the law itself i.e constantly looking at the speedo and not the road.

Obviously not being a lawyer I can't prove this LMAO but I'm sure it exists.

Nope of course you can get done doing 31 in a 30 if they can prove beyond reasonable doubt you were exceeding the speed limit.... this +10% IS a fallacy (I know about that because I've been on a speed awareness course recently but your speedo will always be calibrated so if your speedo shows 35 you will be doing about 30) but you will be going slower than you think you are. However as said above very rarely do they prosecute unless you are going faster than the speed limit by a margin. I have been done for 35 in a 30 but that's 12.5%+ than the speed limit whichever way you spin it. Same as you have never really got any grace period for taxing or MOT'ing your car but in practice some leeway is there

Associate
You can recalibrate a speedo easily with VCDS on VW group cars. There is a correction factor 100% +/- 15% iirc so it can work either way. So what happens if someone sells a car with a speedo that's out and you never knew you were speeding?

Soldato
Nope of course you can get done doing 31 in a 30 if they can prove beyond reasonable doubt you were exceeding the speed limit.... this +10% IS a fallacy (I know about that because I've been on a speed awareness course recently but your speedo will always be calibrated so if your speedo shows 35 you will be doing about 30) but you will be going slower than you think you are. However as said above very rarely do they prosecute unless you are going faster than the speed limit by a margin. I have been done for 35 in a 30 but that's 12.5%+ than the speed limit whichever way you spin it. Same as you have never really got any grace period for taxing or MOT'ing your car but in practice some leeway is there

The 10%+2mph isn't a complete fallacy, it's part of the ACPO prosecution guidelines. What people need to remember is that guidelines are just that and it doesn't mean they can't work outside of them if they see fit to.

Your speedo won't necessarily be out by that much either, mine is more like 33mph GPS measured speed at 35mph indicated. Even up at 75 mph indicated, it's only 3 or 4 mph out.

Soldato
You can recalibrate a speedo easily with VCDS on VW group cars. There is a correction factor 100% +/- 15% iirc so it can work either way. So what happens if someone sells a car with a speedo that's out and you never knew you were speeding?

They should always be fast (ie say you're doing 35 when you're doing 33) so you have no excuse as far as the manufacturers say...

Soldato
OP
Cheers for those who shared info.

Got a result today, 6pts and £603 fine (when you add all the various charges, the actual fine was £335) not great I really, really wanted to avoid being on 9 points but I am so it's down to me to be by the book now! With work being ok would rather have had a short ban and no points but it is what is.

I will just now be living in a state of constant paranoia in my car wherever I drive now, which isn't great when I do 25-30k miles a year!

Soldato
Decent result I would say. You won't have to drive with constant paranoia though, you'll have to drive within the posted speed limits is all. You'll only need to be paranoid if you want to exceed those limits.

Soldato
OP
To be honest I have been doing so since the letter and I must admit I generally find myself a lot more chilled out and relaxed when reaching the end of my journey. Just a sort of acceptance that "I'll get there when I get there" as opposed to slamming it to get there as fast as I can and I just find myself chilled.

There are moments though :p but it's down to me to control it!

Reading through this thread, I've (touch wood) been sat on 0 points for 10 years driving and although I don't make a habit of speeding in a 30 (or lower) I am no saint.

So although having 3 points remaining is not ideal, pretty sure I could get by (though I doubt I'd get there in the first place).

Soldato
Christ, £603 with only £335 as the fine amount - what was the rest for? I know £35 would be victim surcharge but did they really slap you with £233 for court costs? Crazy.

Sucks to be on 9 points I imagine but I'd still consider that a pretty good result all in all. Just take it easy :) As you've said, it's actually surprising how much of a difference it makes to your journey overall if you just drive calmly and sticking to speed limits. I've never been busted for speeding but a while ago I did start to think I was pushing my luck so I've taken it easy since. Generally found sticking to limits vs doing 80/90 makes no difference to any journeys I make what with traffic etc being taken into account (I do about 40k a year and almost every trip I make is a long one) but definitely found being more restrained makes for what's mostly a more enjoyable trip.

Soldato
Aye it's stiff innit. As said I enjoy a good hoon but try and just set out a tad earlier now and get there a bit more chilled. 3 points here for 36 in a 30 (thought it was a 40!) and a speed awareness course down...

Back
Top Bottom