Personalised plates....

Associate
I remember saying a long time ago, that it's something I wouldn't do if I had cash to burn. Would rather do something useful with it, or give it to people that need it.

Plus it's more difficult for people to memorize my plates.

Associate
My favourite ones are where the owner has to explain which characters you need to slightly misread in order to understand the relevance.

Caporegime
I had "K40 PDC", my initials, on my e38, liked the novelty for a while, sold the plate with the car.

My dad asked if I wanted a "proper" plate (6 digit) for my 40'th and I politely declined.

No interest in them for me anymore, I always fancied one until the point that I had one on the car.

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;28703154 said:
Never really understood that about our plate system. Why do we do it? I'm convinced it's 90% of the reason why private plates are so popular.

If cars came with an non age-specific random combination, preferably symmetrical, I probably wouldn't have bothered with my plate.

Perhaps that's exactly why we do it. I imagine the private plate industry generates quite a lot of money, both for DVLA and the numerous private trading firms.

Soldato
My dad bought me one (completely out of the blue) a couple years ago..
The last 3 letters are my name.
Would be unappreciative to not put it on, so I did.

It's not something I'd spend money on though personally unless I absolutely had nothing else to spend it on, but I don't mind them - people can spend their money how they like.

Man of Honour
90% are rubbish and not worth the money.

Badly spaced plates are rubbish. Misrepresented plates are rubbish. Ones that say BO55 are a bit rubbish as previously pointed out. But IMO it's difficult to say that most are rubbish because we've no idea of the significance of a plate to its owner.

Caporegime
I think [ui]ICEMAN is doing it right, or shall I say, the way I would do it. Make it fun, make it really fun.

Having a plate with a letter then a number follow by a sequence of seemingly random letters that is supposed to be your initial is no different to the standard DVLA plate. You are just forgoing one uniformity and onto another uniformity.

The UK is really hard to get something fun due to the spacing and letters and numbers criteria, I hazard a guess that most people do it partly to hide the age of their car.

I almost bought BA51 NGA purely because I like The Big Bang Theory.

Associate
I like mine but I have a bit of spare cash and I'm sure I will get my money back for it if I decide to sell it I paid £800 pre order direct from DVLA..

What do you guys think? If it's not at first obvious it's a twisted MR SMITH

Associate
I like private plates, its just adding your own personal touch to make yours feel that little bit more special to you.

I know which plate I want and its for sale, just a case of actually buying it but I do have others in mind too but can never find them for sale on the net. Is there a way to check if these plates actually exist?

I imagine they do and someone already owns it, as its just one character change from another plate already in existence.

Soldato
Badly spaced plates are rubbish. Misrepresented plates are rubbish. Ones that say BO55 are a bit rubbish as previously pointed out. But IMO it's difficult to say that most are rubbish because we've no idea of the significance of a plate to its owner.

Significance normally being initials which is about as significant as that time one time your friend was drunk and thought about tattooing his name on his left butt cheek. Suppose one good thing is that ones that actually make sense to others don't lose value or even grow in price unless you paid a fortune to begin with.

Man of Honour
I like mine but I have a bit of spare cash and I'm sure I will get my money back for it if I decide to sell it I paid £800 pre order direct from DVLA..

What do you guys think? If it's not at first obvious it's a twisted MR SMITH

While I can see it's a little like Mr Smith with a casual glance it just looks like a regular plate to me. It doesn't strike me as a private plate someone has put on there.

Soldato
Fiancé has a mate in the garage she got her car from and he wangled DA14ERN for her as her surname is Daffern.Came with car, is right age for car and cost her nowt. In this case it's a nice thing for a mate to do and can't see the problem but I'm not so sure if I would bother myself. She wants to transfer number with next car however...

Soldato
Not my thing, personally. It's just a registration number, and I have no more interest in personalising it than I would the serial number of my phone or something. I'm aware that's not entirely fair because your phone serial number isn't something constantly on display, that's just an illustration of how I don't attach any significance to them. I've got no desire to tell the world who I am when I'm driving.

But, whatever blows your skirt up. I don't dislike them and can see why people buy them.

I like them, amusing watching poor people getting even more annoyed.

Yes, personalised plates are certainly only the preserve of the rich and an excellent indicator of wealth. That's why you never find them on any sort of mundane cars in large numbers.

Oh, wait...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom