EU votes against Net Neutrality amendments

Caporegime
Another reason to vote to get the UK out of the EU ASAP imo. Basically a load of French and German politicians who I didn't vote for decided that we shan't have net neutrality :mad:

Caporegime
It is indeed a sad day, I'm only surprised it's taken this long.

At least data roaming charges are due to be scrapped, that was passed by a landslide, even though UKIP tried to stop it, and probably helped stop this too.

Except it won't:
http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy/2015/10/net-neutrality-eu-votes-in-favour-of-internet-fast-lanes-and-slow-lanes/ said:
As the German Pirate Party MEP Julia Reda pointed out, the Telecoms Single Market package doesn't even deliver on data roaming: "The plan to place an end to roaming surcharges in Europe has been adopted pending a review of pricing and consumption patterns. Even if the review is completed by the 15 June 2017 deadline, roaming surcharges will only be suspended up to a ‘fair use’ limit beyond which they still apply and continue to hinder the breaking down of barriers within Europe." In other words, those MEPs who voted in favour of the package in the belief that accepting poor net neutrality rules was a price worth paying in order to buy a speedy end to EU roaming charges were played for mugs.

Soldato
Another reason to vote to get the UK out of the EU ASAP imo. Basically a load of French and German politicians who I didn't vote for decided that we shan't have net neutrality :mad:

One German MEP described the outcome as "regrettable" and added that he felt the regulations as passed do not include a clear definition of net neutrality to inform regulators

Didn't read the article then?

Soldato
It's bad. I'm not sure they knew what they were voting on, in terms of real-world effects?

Tek Syndicate spoke about the idea mentioned in the vote of 'impending congestion' in a recent episode:

They clearly know nothing about network architecture or TCPIP or IP in general, because...you either have congestion or you don't, and when you do have congestion, there are mechanisms in the internet protocol to deal with that, because there has always been congestion in the entire history of the internet at times and it turns out the algorithm is very good at dealing with that. So this is the dumbest thing I have ever seen...citizens of the EU, you need to look into this as this is dumb, and you should not let this stand.

https://youtu.be/IEdUcjBGyEw?t=2310

Caporegime
Didn't read the article then?

Actually I did, suggest you re-read what I wrote and apply some basic English comprehension this time.

Say what you like, but big government and big business fit together hand in glove and they both thrive off opacity and unaccountability - and there's no government more opaque or unaccountable than the EU. At least if Westminster government passed this bill we'd have a chance of getting it reversed in the Lords.

Caporegime
Say what you like, but big government and big business fit together hand in glove and they both thrive off opacity and unaccountability - and there's no government more opaque or unaccountable than the EU. At least if Westminster government passed this bill we'd have a chance of getting it reversed in the Lords.
Haha, pull the other one.

I really don't understand your unswerving faith that the UK political system would safeguard us against things should we leave the UK.

Caporegime
Haha, pull the other one.

I really don't understand your unswerving faith that the UK political system would safeguard us against things should we leave the UK.

800 years of historical refinement and evolution means I have a hell of a lot more faith in our parliament than the EU. I realise that doesn't mean that they'll always do what I want, but at least I understand the system, have an MP who is accountable to local voters in my area and we have the Lords Temporal, Spiritual and Law Lords to provide vital checks and balances.

Last edited:
Associate
Wait what? Haven't they voted for it?

What is going on? What does all this mean then?

To my understanding while paid prioritisation is 'banned', however the remaining loopholes still essentially mean that a corporation can pay to have their traffic prioritised over all other traffic, meaning that to be successful you have to pay ISPs to promote your traffic or risk having your service bumped into a slow lane in all but name. Everything about that is rotten to me, like it or not the internet is essential to life now and having any private company control the gates at a whim is a road to disaster.

Will be interested to know how my MEPs actually voted, but I suspect they all voted in favour of this anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom