New car time?

Soldato
My current car is a 1999 ford fiesta at 125k. It's been in my family its entire life so i know most of the work thats been done to it. and since i've had the car, 2 years now, I've spent a good 1.5/2k keeping it on road. Which I'm not complaining about as it was a hand me down. Any way next year I'm looking at an 80 mile a day commute. I'll likely keep the fiesta, add the partner to the insurance and use it as a short distance runner as after spending so much money on it, it seems a waste to sell for what would likely be pennies.

Anyway my question is what would you recommend? I'm 19, (20 by the time i get it), will have 2 years NCB (hopefully). I am a student so I need to keep this as cheap as possible and being so young a massive engine is not needed/not worth it. I'm thinking of looking for some kind a 10 year old diesel at around 120/130k. Also want something with decent MPG. Sorry for no budget just not sure what is realistic to set.

Won't be leasing due to such high mileage. around 20k mpa.

Soldato
You really do need a budget as this will heavily impact the type of cars that could be worth buying - particularly if you want diesel

Soldato
OP
Just repairs and things for its age. The last owner was my brother and he moved to Australia so the car sat on our drive (covered) for two years. Yeah I was looking at maybe a 1.4 fiesta noticed there is a quite a few Zyrtec models about for cheap. Or even a grande punto? Any idea about those. A Mondeo is too big for my liking/insurance will be quite high.

Associate
You really do need a budget as this will heavily impact the type of cars that could be worth buying - particularly if you want diesel

Exactly. The forum's love of Fords notwithstanding, don't dismiss Japanese cars. Assuming your budget could stretch to 2.5-3K you could look at, say, a 2007 Toyota Auris diesel. I drive a 1999 petrol Avensis and the 2K you mention is all I've spent on repairs in 10 years' ownership and 100K miles. Just sayin'.

Soldato
Older Fords need some looking after - My Puma needs a fair bit often. I'd steer away from Punto's they feel very light and unsubstantial after a Fezz. Fiesta/Focus all good but you might want a change away from Ford. VW's might be too expensive you'll have to see what's about but I'd be in for a decent Golf TDI going forward

Soldato
OP
I'd quite happily stick with ford. They are quite user friendly (as in easy for small fixes yourself). I'd like a golf but they do seem to be a bit too expensive for me. Any owned an Astra? Seeing quite a few of those for cheapish.

Associate
I've got a 3 door 2006 1.4 sxi Astra on 95k now and in the 3 years I've had it it's only needed a new rear Spring, lambda sensor and an abs sensor. It's been really cheap to run and very easy to work on with my limited knowledge that I've got from watching wheeler dealers :D

Soldato
Not a Vauxhall fan I'm afraid - Vauxhall depreciate very quickly thus the low price (and that's official figures before someone jumps down my throat) but my problem is I can't get a nice comfortable seating position unlike other cars

Lightfast - old out yer and!

Soldato
How accurate is the repair bills? Seems a little high for what is a cheap runabout.

Do you include services, MOT, Tyres, Brakes etc within that bill?

Are you accepting that by jumping up a level the bills will likely increase? If you are on a tight budget better the devil you know...I would just keep the Fiesta and wait until you can afford something a bit newer?

Soldato
OP
Was speaking to a friend and he recommended a 3 series. I really do like the 3 series range and didn't think there would be any for that cheap. Would you recommend going for a 3 series instead for around 2500-3000?

Soldato
3 series is a decent shout too. But I'd still be sticking with a 1.9 TDI Golf or Passat for your needs. You don't need to spend a lot on a car like this. You will get an equivalent Golf / Passat for around £1k less than a 3 series / A4.

Back
Top Bottom