Personalised plates....

Soldato
1b9fe7fa.jpg

Bought my private plate for my 21st, it's been on two cars since then.

It's based on my name and I was born in 1988. Only cost me £250 as I refused to pay more than that!

Soldato
I had one in the UK with my initials, and I've ordered one here in the US:

yvWAuml.png

It's to go on a red Cadillac ATS and it only cost $50 so I thought I may as well do it. Strangely, very few people bother with personalised plates here even though they cost so little.

Hopefully the plates will arrive soon...

Man of Honour
Strangely, very few people bother with personalised plates here even though they cost so little.

This is because the majority of people (not all, but many) buy them to remove the age from the plate and the US does not have a bizarre obsession with forcing everyone to display how old the car is like the UK does.

Hence reduced desire for such plates.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;28741745 said:
This is because the majority of people (not all, but many) buy them to remove the age from the plate and the US does not have a bizarre obsession with forcing everyone to display how old the car is like the UK does.

Hence reduced desire for such plates.

It's not a bizarre obsession. It's an approach the UK government takes to keep people buying new cars and thus putting valuable tax pounds in to their coffers.

Man of Honour
I think it's a case of people just can't be bothered with many things over there, a personalised plate is a 50 dollar inconvenience, so is done by car enthusiasts mostly. Whereas here even an old grandad with a Jag S-Type has a 2 or 3 digit plate (there actually is one down here!).

Caporegime
Not for me, I don't get the clean a car up balls. That's just thinking of any excuse possible to justify your spending. Each to their own though, it doesn't bother me if someone wants to put their cash into a few digits.

This one in my village used to give me a laugh, not so much hiding the age of your car, but advertising you have fallen on tougher times ;)

izmfdj.jpg

Man of Honour
I think it's a case of people just can't be bothered with many things over there, a personalised plate is a 50 dollar inconvenience, so is done by car enthusiasts mostly. Whereas here even an old grandad with a Jag S-Type has a 2 or 3 digit plate (there actually is one down here!).

That makes no real sense, how us a 50 dollar inconvenience worse than a 499 quid one? The reason will be because they don't have age identifiers on plates.

Same reason people in say Germany don't bother either.

In most countries how old your car us nobodies business but your own.

Soldato
Spotted a new Ranger Rover on the M1 this morning with the plate MY65 RRV. Talk about desperately trying to show off....

Would sort-of have been one better had it been Vogue spec, but that's not enough for this chap, who had to have the Autobiography (of course!)

Associate
On the mention of status symbols, I actually feel that the current plates encourage it more. People want to have the latest reg plate rather than a 10 year old one. You don't look at the car, you look at the plate which is great news for car sellers.

I noticed this while driving on the continent recently where number plates show the area it is from, rather than its year. I also realised that with this, despite my love of cars, I found it increasingly harder to try and put an age on many cars, or to even guess which was the newer between two of them. Instead you just admired certain cars for its style or how clean the owner kept it.

Soldato
It really does depend - at the very top end I think they're cool.

My dads old boss bought his wife a personalised number plate for her Range Rover many moons ago. She now drives around in a car declaring she is "2 FAT"

Soldato
The only reason I'd get one is to hide the age of my car. (52 plate blob eye Subaru that looks far better than its years.) To be honest from most of the cars i see with them they are doing it for the same reason... :cool::o:p:D

Soldato
The only reason I'd get one is to hide the age of my car. (52 plate blob eye Subaru that looks far better than its years.) To be honest from most of the cars i see with them they are doing it for the same reason... :cool::o:p:D

But it doesn't hide the age of your car, it just makes folk think you're embarrassed and want to cover up the age of your car!
No one is going to think a blob eye is a new car anyway!

Soldato
Never understood them, we have one on our Jeep that the GF had for many years - "K66TAP", it is completely meaningless to everyone.

Now I could understand if it was relevant to the car, I remember someone on here had a Mondeo ST220 with "V6 WTF", I can see the point in that.

God you have a good memory!

44h5hygPX__X_dev0DYonoFOTpL2Ag4PnKEutPzWg58

Car went still got the plate, would never sell it.

Back
Top Bottom