Changing ISP from BT Infinity to ?

Soldato
Hi all,

My BT Infinity contract runs out on 2nd December and I want to move to another provider as Fifa is always lagging. I cant get Virgin...

a. Does anyone have a recommendation of a provider which is good for gaming and not too expensive (Fibre)?

b. How do I change ISP?

c. Do I need to speak to BT or new provider to organise and when do I do it?

d. Will there been any downtime (want to change it over for the 2nd Dec)?

Cheers

SpLuFF

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
a. Sky Fibre or Plusnet Fibre. Don't forget topcashback or quidco.

b. Sign-up with the new ISP. The new provider will take care of everything.

c. No, but you should see if BT will give you a better deal before you leave.

d. Up to 24 hours.

Soldato
OP
Cheers KIA :)

Do I tell plusnet or sky that I am contracted until 2nd December and to swap me over on that date?

When should I start ringing other ISPs to organise this :)

Are PlusNet / Sky actually better than BT for gaming? I just want to try another provider (maybe its same but want to give it a go for 1 year)

Associate
u mite have to give 30days notice. so ring em on 2nd nov..if they offer u a better deal great..if not just ring whoever ur goin to and tell em ya contract ends on 2nd dec and they should take care of it all...dont think theyll offer u a better deal just whats on offer now but no harm in asking..good luck though :D

Soldato
OP
not really bothered if they offer me a better deal as Fifa is laggy with them

I am hoping a new ISP maybe be better :)

Soldato
OP
BT deny its there fault.....

My ping is 15ms
My speeds is 80/20
Im connected via lan cable
Ive tried PS4 in DMZ and port routing
Ive tried different routers
Ive tried various network settings in PS4

I just know that others I have played have said the game is fine and for me its bad... (this has been going on for 3 years in 3 versions of fifa and 2 consoles)

Associate
Sky Fibre is owned by BT btw, just going to throw that out there, so although you'll be switching to them, you'll be on the exact same service, it'll just be owned by Sky and not by BT, so you'll be talking to different advisers or maybe even the same ones, lol.

Soldato
Sky Fibre is owned by BT btw, just going to throw that out there, so although you'll be switching to them, you'll be on the exact same service, it'll just be owned by Sky and not by BT, so you'll be talking to different advisers or maybe even the same ones, lol.

What makes you think Sky is owned by BT - Sky is nothing to do with BT as far as I was aware? Plusnet is a subsidiary company of BT but Sky isn't.

All fibre connections are GEA and use the exact same kit from your master socket to the exchange via the new FTTC cab in your street, so you will get the exact same performance/speed across all providers (unless a particular ISP has a poor router). All of this is handled by Openreach, a sub of BT but dont get confused with the old days where all ISPs rented wholesalee lines direct from BT as its not like that anymore. BT and Openreach should be treat as two separate companies when it comes to consumer FTTC

Once you hit the exchange and your in to the ISPs realm, well, thats where things start to differ.

Caporegime
What makes you think Sky is owned by BT - Sky is nothing to do with BT as far as I was aware? Plusnet is a subsidiary company of BT but Sky isn't.

All fibre connections are GEA and use the exact same kit from your master socket to the exchange via the new FTTC cab in your street, so you will get the exact same performance/speed across all providers (unless a particular ISP has a poor router). All of this is handled by Openreach, a sub of BT but dont get confused with the old days where all ISPs rented wholesalee lines direct from BT as its not like that anymore. BT and Openreach should be treat as two separate companies when it comes to consumer FTTC

Once you hit the exchange and your in to the ISPs realm, well, thats where things start to differ.

Sorry Jimlad, quoted you instead of the previous post. I'm on my iPad so editing is a complete nightmare. My apologies.

Sigh. Sky isn't owned, affiliated, controlled, or, well, anything by BT. Not sure if he misunderstood something he read or what.

The FTTC services between his house and the exchange are owned and administered by Openreach, (a BT Group Business!) but once the fibre service enters the exchange, in Sky's case anyway, it then moves into Sky's own SVBN service. We were recently advised that this nationwide a Fibre network is capable of 100GBps with plans to upgrade this to 1000GBps in the next few years. The last figures I heard from three or four years ago were than the network was only at around 30-35% capacity and Sky recently was told by OFCOM that their peak time Fibre speeds were the most consistent of all the Fibre ISP's. I've always got the full 40/10 service and can download at 4.4MB a second through Steam and torrents, even in the evenings.

Associate
I switched from BT to Plusnet a few months back and am glad I did.

Plusnet are owned by BT so basically you get the same thing for a cheaper price.

Associate

BT does not own Sky, What I can say however is that as per the above post no matter which CP you choose to use your line will stay the same in the network which is owned by Openreach.

If you change CP all that will change is the equipment at either end

Caporegime
The link from your house back to the exchange will stay the same, but that doesn't get congested anyway.

Once it hits the exchange it's handed off to your providers network - in the case of Sky this may well use Openreach backhaul but it's entirely for Sky to manage as they see fit, as well as being dedicated bandwidth. They also have total control over features on their service and how your traffic is routed.

So there can be huge differences between different ISPs, regardless of the fact that Openreach are responsible for the last mile.

Associate
I've just switched from BT Infinity to Plusnet this weekend. It all went very smooth, although there will be some downtime. My BT went offline during the night and I reconfigured my router prior to going to work. Plusnet kept me updated and got a text around 11am saying the order was completed. Rung home and kids were already using it.

Can't recommend enough so far.

Back
Top Bottom