Should I upgrade my aging Corsair HX520?

Associate
I'm looking to upgrade my aging system to an i5 4690K build, at present still planning to continue to use using my old graphics card (GTX 460) but with the intention to upgrade to something a bit more modern at a later date.

I want to know if I can get away with using my existing Corsair HX520, which is getting old but showing no signs of problems - or whether if should make a leap to something newer - especially if I'm intending to upgrade the graphics card as well (nothing extreme like SLI etc, but something that's a significant upgrade to the GTX460).

If I was to make that leap, any suggestions on what might be suitable?

Man of Honour
It's not comparable. The op's HX520 was a Seasonic built unit. The HX750 was after they cheaped out and switched OEM's to CWT and even then there have been two versions. If the one you have been offered is the newer version then I believe it has a hybrid fan that only spins as it heats up. You can tell the old version from the new version easily as the newer one has the fan grill integrated into the base while the old one has a normal wire fan grill held on by the fan screws.

Soldato
It's not comparable. The op's HX520 was a Seasonic built unit. The HX750 was after they cheaped out and switched OEM's to CWT and even then there have been two versions. If the one you have been offered is the newer version then I believe it has a hybrid fan that only spins as it heats up. You can tell the old version from the new version easily as the newer one has the fan grill integrated into the base while the old one has a normal wire fan grill held on by the fan screws.

Ok, i will check, ta

Soldato
I think there might actually be three versions of the hx750. I have one, that was a warranty replacement/upgrade (had a tx650).

It has the newer chassis, but it doesn't have the zero rpm fan mode. So I think there may have been a model inbetween old and new with fanless mode.

Mine is fairly loud underload tbh. Once you draw >350W or so, the fan is pretty loud. I dunno if it's a heat issue as I'm not convinced the cm690ii has great airflow to the psu or if it's just how it is.

As it happens, pretty similar to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Oh46bc4zY

That seems exaggerated, but it is easily the loudest fan in the system when I under load. Strangely enough, it does also spin up the fan occasionally like the description of the vid says (although not every 5 min).

Vid says he got it as a replacement cos of chirping fan (same as my tx650). So not sure if there was something going on around that time (chirping fans were a bad batch of fans), an inbetween model or something that all behave the same.

Either way, I wouldn't bother. Mine has been good for years, other than being loud, but seems a gamble as to what you get.

Associate
Have been running a Corsair HX520 in a 4770k build with GTX970 and had no problems. However might change to an EVGA G2 650W soon just as the HX520 is getting on a bit, been faultless though.

Caporegime
Have been running a Corsair HX520 in a 4770k build with GTX970 and had no problems. However might change to an EVGA G2 650W soon just as the HX520 is getting on a bit, been faultless though.

Sorry to bump this, but I've found very few people with the same PSU / GPU setup as I'm intending.

Greywolf - please can you tell me if your GTX970 has two 6 pin connectors or a 6 pin and an 8 pin? If the latter, how did you connect the HX520, which I believe has two 6 pins only?

Man of Honour
Sorry to bump this, but I've found very few people with the same PSU / GPU setup as I'm intending.

Greywolf - please can you tell me if your GTX970 has two 6 pin connectors or a 6 pin and an 8 pin? If the latter, how did you connect the HX520, which I believe has two 6 pins only?

Things get even more confusing because sometime between late 2006 and early 2008 Corsair chaged the cables from a pair of 6 pin pci-e cables to a pair of 6+2 pin pci-e cables. The sockets on the psu itself remained as 6 pin sockets so the cable they used was basically just a 6 pin to 6+2 pin pci-e adaptor cable. You can buy these as extension cables that just plug onto the end of your current pci-e cables and are a much better option than using molex to pci-e adaptor cables. They are around £3 for a unbraided Akasa one or around £4-5 for a braided Phobya or Bitfenix one. I am sure they used to sell them on here but I can't find them on this new website.

Man of Honour
That's the one. That is basically what Corsair changed the pci-e cables to but obviously a longer version. The braided ones look so much nicer though but I can't link as it appears that OCUK no longer sells them.

Waits for Borealis to go and show how pants my search skills are again!! :D:p:D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom