Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Caporegime
I sometimes wonder why people use anything but Hargreaves Landsdown. I don't even know if they are the cheapest but the website is leagues ahead of anything else I have tried.

Cause it was easy to buy fast with the investdirect account as it had a £10k buffer account.

And it was free.

Unless you have £2m, HL will cost you money and I don't care enough about how nice a website is to make it a factor.

Actually HL would cost me £135 a year so £42 a year isn't that bad.

...I sometimes wonder why people pay £100 extra for a nice website

Soldato
Hi

Has anyone got Alkane energy shares (ALK)

I don't have many but Ive had a few corporate actions that needed my response due to a takeover.

Ive not really been following this share of late and I was down on them.

I had a choice to sell my shares at 36p but If I did I would have still been at a loss so I decided to reject the offer.

What happens next? will my shares transfer to Balfour Beatty which I think is the takeover company.

thanks

Associate
Surely you should sell them, if you are able to keep the shares, presumably you'll have shares in an unlisted company and will have to try and find a seller off exchange. Unless Balfour Beatty are offering their shares for Alkane?

Soldato
Surely you should sell them, if you are able to keep the shares, presumably you'll have shares in an unlisted company and will have to try and find a seller off exchange. Unless Balfour Beatty are offering their shares for Alkane?

no idea:confused:, I would make a loss if I sold them and it does not really give any info on what will happen if I reject, saying that the reject option is a default choice for anyone that does not respond to the action.

Will have to check further.

Does this help?

Takeover - Compulsory Acquisition Offeror: Barbican Bidco
Terms: GBP0.36
Barbican Bidco is exercising its right under Section 979 of the Companies Act 2006 to compulsorily acquire the remaining shares in Alkane energy. We shall accept the offer for all remaining Holders shortly after 16th November 2015.

Last edited:
Associate
no idea:confused:, I would make a loss if I sold them and it does not really give any info on what will happen if I reject, saying that the reject option is a default choice for anyone that does not respond to the action.

Will have to check further.
At a minimum I can tell you the shares are not listed on the stock market anymore.

Associate
Hope so, either way its to late for me now:(

My ALK shares are still listed on my portfolio but with no price or profit just a loss of what I paid.

Perhaps I need to just wait.

thanks
If you read the statement it's a compulsory offer, that means the shares will be bought from you on the listed date at the stated price. You can't reject it as the majority of the shareholders agreed to the takeover which was at a significant premium to pre-bid price.

Associate
Have you tried TDwaterhouse? I'm quite happy with it but not tried HL.....

It was awful when I tried it a year ago and barely worked on the Ipad. I liked you could hold money as foreign currency on there website though which was quite cool and Hargreaves don't do.

You say "nice" as if I mean its more aesthetically pleasing. Everything on the website just works. Its always up. there support number gets answered instantly almost and it has the largest selection of funds and shares and there are loads of features to analyse your portfolio.

I cant speak as a day trader or a more "active" investor but as someone who is relatively passive and holds blue chip dividend paying shares. A core of funds and a smattering of ETF trackers, US and European shares its great.

Last edited:
Associate
What company do you guys use to trade cfds?
I was using GFT which was taken over by city index but am not too keen on their mobile app as it doesn't allow top up or withdrawal of funds nor allow price alert alarms.

Caporegime
What company do you guys use to trade cfds?
I was using GFT which was taken over by city index but am not too keen on their mobile app as it doesn't allow top up or withdrawal of funds nor allow price alert alarms.

GFT and city index just use a 'bucket shop' model - they just provide you with a two way quote and essentially operate a parallel market, you're not trading with the real exchange. It is legal here and is regulated but it is illegal in the US to offer CFDs/spread betting like that - they had bucket shops over 100 years ago and there is an inherent conflict of interest... grated they weren't regulated in the US but the conflicts of interest still exist:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucket_shop_(stock_market)

If you want to trade CFDs then there aren't many legitimate options as a retail investor - the two I'm aware of are interactive brokers and IG Markets where your CFD orders will cause a real order to be placed in the order book for the actual exchange which removes the various conflicts of interest - interactive brokers offers better value afaik (check the commission costs and interest charges yourself just to be sure).

Soldato
This is probably relevant, the details of failed spread company. Like a bank, customers with 'holdings' over 50k have to wait for the bankruptcy distribution. Im not that rich luckily :p 18p on the £
They cooked the books and like Dowie said they held no assets to correlate to positions.

That doesnt have to be the case and I think most consumer finance firms subject to market risk are required to hold very large liquidity for just this reason.
I think this is why Standard Life fell to 130p at one point though they had hedged their holdings, markets werent sure. The value of the firm was held at 3bn, they had 3bn in the bank cash, suffice to say it was a good buy. SL now 392p and 7.7bn
IG shares have been a good buy also

Dear Sir/Madam,

WorldSpreads Limited (in special administration) third and final distribution to clients

On 11 November 2015 the Joint Special Administrators declared a third and final distribution to clients of 10.418 pence in the £ (rounded to 3 decimal places). This brings the total distribution to clients to 18.418 pence in the £.

Clients who have assigned their claim to the FSCS

Those clients who had an account balance less than £50,000 and have submitted a completed application form to the FSCS and received compensation, thereby assigning their claim, will not receive any further distribution from the Joint Special Administrators or the FSCS once they have been paid their agreed balance by the FSCS.

Those clients who had an account balance over £50,000 and have submitted a completed application form to the FSCS and received compensation, thereby assigning their claim, will receive any further distribution directly from the FSCS after the Joint Special Administrators have paid it to the FSCS.

Clients who have not assigned their claim to the FSCS

Clients who have agreed their balance with the Joint Special Administrators but not received any compensation from the FSCS as at 11 November 2015 have not assigned their claim to the FSCS. These clients will therefore receive their unpaid dividends directly from the Joint Special Administrators.

These clients continue to be entitled to make a claim to the FSCS for any further losses they are suffering and are advised to contact the FSCS directly in order to request an application form. The Joint Special Administrators will work alongside the FSCS to ensure those clients that subsequently receive FSCS compensation receive the remainder of their agreed account balance from the FSCS up to their limit of £50,000 per person.

If you are based in the UK and have not received a letter from the Joint Special Administrators by 30 November 2015, please contact the Joint Special Administrators at [email protected]. If you are based overseas, please contact the Joint Special Administrators if you have not received a letter by 16 December 2015.

If you have any questions regarding the above please contact the Joint Special Administrators at [email protected].

Kind Regards,

The Joint Special Administrators

for and on behalf of the Company

Samantha Rae Bewick and Jane Bronwen Moriarty were appointed as joint special administrators of WorldSpreads Limited on 18 March 2012. Following Jane Moriarty’s retirement from KPMG LLP, David John Standish was appointed joint special administrator by Order of the Court with effect from 1 October 2015.

The affairs, business and property of WorldSpreads Limited are being managed by the joint special administrators who contract as agents of WorldSpreads Limited without personal liability.

Samantha Rae Bewick is authorised to act as an insolvency practitioner by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales. David John Standish is authorised to act as an insolvency practitioner by the Insolvency Practitioners Association.

WorldSpreads Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. FCA reference number 230730. Registered in England No. 04898762. Registered Office: 15 Canada Square, London, E14 5GL.

We are bound by the Insolvency Code of Ethics.

This email has been sent by and on behalf of one or more of KPMG LLP, KPMG Audit plc, KPMG Resource Centre Private Limited or a company under the control of KPMG LLP, including KPMG United Kingdom plc and KPMG UK Limited (together, "KPMG").
This email, and any attachments, is confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. It is intended solely for the stated addressee(s) and access to it by any other person is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use or rely on the information contained herein. If you have received this email in error, please inform us immediately and delete all copies of it.
Any communications made with KPMG may be monitored and a record may be kept of any communication.
Any opinion or advice contained herein is subject to the terms and conditions set out in your KPMG LLP client engagement letter.
A list of members of KPMG LLP is open for inspection at KPMG's registered office.
KPMG LLP (registered no. OC301540) is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales. Each of KPMG Audit plc (registered no. 03110745), KPMG United Kingdom plc (registered no. 03513178) and KPMG UK Limited (registered no. 03580549) are companies registered in England and Wales. Each entity's registered office is at 15 Canada Square, London, E14 5GL.

P87MvUH.png

another bad day for commodities, world growth must be negative I think. Oil demand up 1% capacity 3%

Commissario
Took a punt on some Rolls Royce shares after the recent drop, already seen a 5% increase today so hopefully they'll return back to their healthy figure!

daz

daz

Soldato
I could have started a new thread but I thought this might be as good a place as any to ask - anyone put any money in to any crowd finance sites (e.g. Funding Circle)? The returns look quite good and it seems like as long as you diversify sufficiently, then your risk is quite a bit lower as well. I've just put some spare money in to start with so just interested in the views of anyone who's perhaps been on there for a while.

Back
Top Bottom