Denis@home team challenge: 31st Oct - 7th Nov

MGP

MGP

Soldato
So far Denis has coped reasonably well with this challenge. Not bad given the computing power for the project is almost 50% higher now than when it started from 50k GigaFLOPS to over 73.5k.

There seems only to have been one small hiccup, in the first couple of hours of the challenge when those who had bunkered started to upload / download. But mainly it's kept going and work hasn't dried up.

The Denis website is definitely slower with all the extra traffic. And there are the first signs of some weakness as some stats aren't always updating. Boincstats still shows my credit as rising. on Denis my total credit has got stuck for a few hours. Their admins say we shouldn't worry about the server status icons for which systems are running or not, the validator, assimilator and purge that regularly show red is just a glitch.

Meanwhile, at about the halfway stage the clear leader is Sicituradastra with 16,156k we hold second at 14,720k with overclockers.net at 12,243k. OcUK are keeping pace with the leader, but the gap is more or less static. But overclockers.net are making a bit of a push and their are definitely gaining on us. The second place slot is not assured.

Soldato
OP
Youl've summed up the status of the Denis project /servers perfectly, I'l pass them on to the DCVault folks who are looking to add it.
You can be forgiven for your mistake, but it's not OCN in 3rd, it's SETI.USA who are storming through from nowhere. They have guys on their team who are like one man teams.

PDW

PDW

Associate
Oooh, a challenge! I will dust off Boinc and get to work! :D

Alarm call for Mr B1ng - you are still running the stock app you should change to the SSE3 version by Crunch3r to speed things up by a factor of 10 :)

Windows 64bit SSE3 (INTEL/AMD compatible):
http://www.boincunited.org/opt_apps/denis/denis_1.05_x86_64-windows__sse3_v3.zip

Right-click to copy & paste the above link into a new browser tab to download the zip file, extract the 2 files and put them into the denis project folder and restart Boinc Manager to get them to start working.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to remember :)eek:) you are running linux so you need Crunch3r's SSE3 version for linux (assume it is 64 bit). There are links earlier in the thread but if you want specifics just ask :)

Last edited:

PDW

PDW

Associate
Youl've summed up the status of the Denis project /servers perfectly, I'l pass them on to the DCVault folks who are looking to add it.
You can be forgiven for your mistake, but it's not OCN in 3rd, it's SETI.USA who are storming through from nowhere. They have guys on their team who are like one man teams.
I just need to multiply the number of cores I have by 8 or 9 to take S.USA's top 3 out of the equation :eek:

I have been thinking I should get a tablet, perhaps I should look more at the top end specs to help out !

Associate
I dunno why but I've found this challenge rather statistically addictive. I keep going online to follow the progress and wishing I could do more.
So much so, that I just got paid the overtime and annual bonus end of last month and I'm trying to figure out how to justify buying another 2P rig. I got to step away from ebay there are so many 14,16 and 18 cores available on there atm.
Need to let the addiction to big rigs wear off !

Team USA are doing amazing.

PDW

PDW

Associate
But you only have a single 2p rig, surely your wife must appreciate that you need to have a spare as an essential backup :)

Associate
I dunno why but I've found this challenge rather statistically addictive. I keep going online to follow the progress and wishing I could do more.
So much so, that I just got paid the overtime and annual bonus end of last month and I'm trying to figure out how to justify buying another 2P rig. I got to step away from ebay there are so many 14,16 and 18 cores available on there atm.
Need to let the addiction to big rigs wear off !

Team USA are doing amazing.

Funny that, I have the bug also..... so much, I almost bought 4 opteron 6276 at £40 a pop....

Just need to find a board first. :D;)

Man of Honour
I got 24 more threads up on me mac, or rather I got me mac working with the optimized app on 24 threads.

Might push us ahead in RAC slightly, probably not enough to catch up though.

Soldato
In the process of adding my 2nd rig - windows has decided to download build 10576, grrrrr. Will have to wait a while, but another 8 cores of goodness being added soon.

Mark
HELP - Have downloaded the sse3 to speed things up for my I7 4770K - and re started boinc, but running real slow - have I used the wrong update?
Now Sorted - just need to put the overclock back on the 4770K

Last edited:

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Realised my i7 2600k wasn't overclocked :( Now it's at 4600 instead of the default 3400Hz. Reduced the time per WU from 14.5minutes to a fraction over 11. Or to put it another way, that's an extra WU per CPU thread per hour, or an extra 8 WUs an hour :)

Not quite sure what my electric bill will be for all this though.

Associate
Alarm call for Mr B1ng - you are still running the stock app you should change to the SSE3 version by Crunch3r to speed things up by a factor of 10 :)

Windows 64bit SSE3 (INTEL/AMD compatible):
http://www.boincunited.org/opt_apps/denis/denis_1.05_x86_64-windows__sse3_v3.zip

Right-click to copy & paste the above link into a new browser tab to download the zip file, extract the 2 files and put them into the denis project folder and restart Boinc Manager to get them to start working.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to remember :)eek:) you are running linux so you need Crunch3r's SSE3 version for linux (assume it is 64 bit). There are links earlier in the thread but if you want specifics just ask :)

I must have missed the Linux version of the optimised client, did wonder why I was waaayyy slower than everyone! Will hopefully sort this when I get home tonight, and assuming it works I will see about getting my backup machine on it too! :D

If someone could please clarify which update or change I need to apply?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom