A "stranger" has a key to my house. Martin and Co don't care.

Soldato
Just look like euro locks. Easy to swap out just unscrew the screw from the side then put the key in and wiggle it out to measure up.

Think b&q were selling them for about £12.

Associate
The front and back door locks look similar to this:

wtRUpnW.jpg

And I know someone has definitely entered the front door, due to the way the front door was locked. It wasn't locked how I usually lock it.

Those locks are fairly simple to change just removed screws from handles and then replace the barrel, they should have no issue with it as they should only enter the house when your present anyway

OcUK Staff
OP
Just out of interest how do you lock that kind of lock any different to anyone else, I cant honestly see any way of doing it differently, obviously don't post your secret spy intrusion techniques, but I just don't understand how you can lock them differently than the one normal way?

how mnay ways of locking a door are there?

With the front door, you can single lock the door, or you can double lock the door. I only do one of those... Coming back to my house Monday after work, it wasn't how I lock it. I am 100% sure someone has been in the property.

Man of Honour
Cheap and eau to change, you are allowed to change them. Grey area is on landlord needing keys, due to insurance and access in an emergency and contract.

As they're so cheap and easy I would change them and then fight the agency to get reimbursed.

Man of Honour
I am sure that will work, I don't have another key to test it, but I guess the person with the other key can test it for me. :p

All the locks I've had like that never open when a key is left in one side, you could always borrow 8Pack from work and leave him behind the door :D, if all else fails just for the night before you can get the locks done put something behind the door, just to be sure.

Soldato
Just change the barrel,no need to call someone as its a 5 min job,don't tell anyone you have changed the looks,when someone asks why you have changed the looks then it will be that person who was in your house.

Caporegime
Those locks are fairly simple to change just removed screws from handles and then replace the barrel, they should have no issue with it as they should only enter the house when your present anyway

OR, if there is an emergency.

The OP can change the locks but you must give the agency and landlord a set of new keys.

Soldato
OR, if there is an emergency.

The OP can change the locks but you must give the agency and landlord a set of new keys.

if that's the case it may defeat the object if its 1 of those getting in.
just replace it and don't tell them. if they then say something to you, you know they have been trying to gain an illegal entry.
As said they have to tell they want entry 24hrs before, not just show up when your out and look around.

Associate
Great point, I will use this tomorrow over the phone. I am just shocked that the safety of the tenant, and the property just isn't a priority to them. A world we live in I guess, as long they are getting my rent money, that is all that matters to them!

We are landlords and a few times now the agency have either been told things by the tenant or done other things without passing on pretty important information. Do you have details of the actual landlord to get in contract with? Agencies seem to like to do as little work as possible, where as the actual landlord may be more concerned. If not, don't stop calling the agency until they actually do something, the landlord will pay them a fair amount over the course of a let, so let them earn it.

If you do change the locks the landlord should be informed. Make sure as I am sure you will that the agency is informed by a call but also in a written email, is so that you are covered. Even better if you can speak to the landlord directly again.

OcUK Staff
OP
I have called the police on the non-emergency line. They have given similar advice to what some of you have put on here. - I will keep you updated tomorrow if anything changes. - If I am not dead by tomorrow.

OcUK Staff
OP
Seems like very little reason to worry, how certain can you be you didn't just do something different this one time?

But if you die can I have your pc :D

100% certain. And I shall think about it tonight. :p

Have you checked for bugs or surveillance cameras?

I've looked around, to see if I notice anything different in the house. Not spotted anything missing/new/changed.

Back
Top Bottom