What have you done to your car today?

Caporegime
*awaits the 'I had to double clutch it home because I raced someone faster than me on my slipping clutch and it finally gave up'

Or the 'the clutch exploded and I need a new gearbox' :p

The 197 would have been a pretty even match if my clutch wasn't almost dead... It has 5HP more and is 30KG heavier. :)

I will get the clutch replaced soon... I want it replaced now, but I need to diagnose my bearing noise first, so that I don't have to drop the gearbox twice.

Soldato
The clios are quite nippy due to the gearing - more so than the corolla imo. Ultimately though on road it would make little difference at sensible speed.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Michelin Super Sports fitted to the M3 today - looking forward to bedding these in and seeing what they're like! :) Hopefully an improvement from the Falken's that the previous owner fitted!
They are rather impressive, but noise can be an issue. Although with an M3, just don't change up :D

Associate
Informed my car insurance company of a non fault incident (not going to claim) and they are putting my renewal up £150!!!. Makes me think doing the right legal thing was the wrong move :mad::mad::mad:

Caporegime
The clios are quite nippy due to the gearing - more so than the corolla imo. Ultimately though on road it would make little difference at sensible speed.

I dont know, the gearing in the corolla is very short, its probably one of the things which makes it feel quick! :)

Would have liked a 197, but even a tatty high miler would be twice what I paid for the 'rolla. :)

Soldato
Had a new oil filter housing fitted as the diaphragm failed in the old one, common problem, so that and an oil change as well and it's all good again and I'm able to use boost without blowing numerous oil seals to bits internally :)

Soldato
I dont know, the gearing in the corolla is very short, its probably one of the things which makes it feel quick! :)

Would have liked a 197, but even a tatty high miler would be twice what I paid for the 'rolla. :)

They're a bit quicker than the fn2 which feels quite a bit quicker around 2nd-4th gear range than any corolla I've ever driven....though it has been a while.....plus you're in reality talking in the margins of gains/losses car to car

Soldato
I drove an FN2 properly at last and was COMPLETELY uninspired, I was really disappointed with how slow it felt. My EP3 felt so much more lively. Glad I didn't buy one now.

I could imagine the Toyota on the road would be just as quick.

Soldato
Had a new oil filter housing fitted as the diaphragm failed in the old one, common problem, so that and an oil change as well and it's all good again and I'm able to use boost without blowing numerous oil seals to bits internally :)

How much did that set u back? Aren't the oil diaphragm's a common problem on the ST225?

Soldato
It was from a stop at a red light, I launched at about 4K RPM, foot hard down, clutch fully up, but it didn't catch properly because it is so worn, and I just got a horrible burning clutch smell instead...
Please tell me your not one of these idiots that try's to have every car off at every set of lights :D:p

Caporegime
Please tell me your not one of these idiots that try's to have every car off at every set of lights :D:p

Haha nahh, I was in a good mood so I blipped the throttle, then he blipped the throttle, so I thought "oh I see..." and gave it a bit more throttle, then he did the same, and the next thing I know we're both laying small number 11's and flooring it. :p

It was fun, just a shame about my clutch!

He gave me a cheery honk when he turned off... :)

When I had my Polo I was one of those idiots though, purely because there was a tremendous sense of achievement to be had if you manage to draw away from someone with a 54HP car. :D

I still remember being out-accelerated by a lorry... :(

Last edited:
Soldato
How much did that set u back? Aren't the oil diaphragm's a common problem on the ST225?

The new housing and uprated breather was 200 quid and I bought 10L of Shell Helix Ultra oil and a gen filter, so with labour and what not it came to £330.

It is a common issue and it happens to pretty much all of the pre-facelift cars. As soon as you hear "the noise", you know exactly what it is :)

Don
So the ECU for my broken Mondeo has come back with no fault found. They did update the software on it, and now it's specifically mentioning that the pedal position sensors are faulty (opposed to the original generic "throttle" error there was previously).

So, new pedal box incoming :( God damn this car... 4 weeks it has been off the road now, in addition to the three weeks it was off the road in February.

This car has got to go!

Soldato
Bit of winter servicing...

9qkstJLh4d

Soldato
So the ECU for my broken Mondeo has come back with no fault found. They did update the software on it, and now it's specifically mentioning that the pedal position sensors are faulty (opposed to the original generic "throttle" error there was previously).

So, new pedal box incoming :( God damn this car... 4 weeks it has been off the road now, in addition to the three weeks it was off the road in February.

This car has got to go!

What age Mondeo is it? What other trouble have u had? That's the problem with newer cars mk4 Mondeo upwards they have niggly problems. I've never heard of of a pedal position sensor being faulty before :eek:

Don
What age Mondeo is it? What other trouble have u had? That's the problem with newer cars mk4 Mondeo upwards they have niggly problems. I've never heard of of a pedal position sensor being faulty before :eek:

Earlier in the year, it had a problem with an ABS sensor which turned out to corrosion to the wiring loom where it passes through the wheel arch.

Again it was intermittent though, so a PITA to diagnose and find.

The current issue codes were indicating a problem with throttle position, but the entire throttle body has already been replaced. It puts the car into limp mode, so completely undriveable.

Soldato
I drove an FN2 properly at last and was COMPLETELY uninspired, I was really disappointed with how slow it felt. My EP3 felt so much more lively. Glad I didn't buy one now.

I could imagine the Toyota on the road would be just as quick.

Honestly, in reality regardless of how it feels to actually drive these cars are all much of a muchness if you actually get a few together - standard St included.

I agree though in a straight line actually driving some feel like they're doing much more.

The fn2 is absolutely not any slower real workd at sensible speeds than my 330ci - though clearly it goes about it differently.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom