Car seats in the USA - Help!

Soldato
Morning all,

I'm off to Florida next year with my wife & my son who will be 8 months old at that point.

We currently have a Maxi-Cosi group 0 car seat that attaches to an isofix base that I have in my car - so the car seat itself doesn't have the isofix attachments but just a metal clip that fits in to the base.

Whilst we're over there we're hiring a 'Chevrolet Tahoe or similar' and I've been reading about car seats but currently I'm not too clear on what we'll need to do. As we've got the base to our seat I'm assuming we're going to have to get another seat but I don't know what to buy? Shall I just buy one over there?

Thanks!

Adam

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
The Tahoe features LATCH which is the US isofix system. A UK isofix seat definitely fits onto US LATCH cars.

IIRC technically they are illegal to use, though, as the standards are different. Not that this really matters as its only a marker on the seat.

Soldato
We've just gotten back from Texas with our 2 year old son. Mrs picked up a cheap car seat to take with us (doesn't count as your 25kg luggage!), used it for the two weeks we were there and binned it before we left. Made sure we had a seat straight from the airport :)

Don
We used Alamo when we went a couple of years ago to the US, picked the car up from San Fran and had already asked for a baby seat for our 2 year old. They provided a brand new one which worked a treat.

Soldato
OP
Thanks the replies all - I was thinking about asking Alamo to provide one but it's probably going to work out more than just buying one out there.

Our seat can be strapped in using seatbelt too but I would rather rely on ISOFIX or LATCH.

If anyone has been and used a cat 0 baby seat and has an example of the model that would be great - thank you!

Thanks

Soldato
Most maxi-cosi seats are VERY easy to secure using the seat-belt. TBH I regret buying the ISOfix base as it takes up more room than just the seat alone.

Soldato
Buy one (you like) in England and have it as luggage (no extra charge).
Do not rent one! You may get lucky and get a new one, but read many reviews stating never to rent one (lack of safety etc).
They are cheap enough to buy and dump once finished, then you'll have one as soon as you arrive in the States.
the Chevy Tahoe is a big old 4x4 so you'll be safe as houses.

Soldato
Seriously think about driving straight into a Walmart and buying one than paying the rental costs. We had a 2 1/2 week break and we hired what turned out to be the equivalent to a shaped lump of polystyrene (booster seat) for $80 or so. I think looking back we could have bought the same thing new in Walmart for about $25.

Caporegime
The Tahoe features LATCH which is the US isofix system. A UK isofix seat definitely fits onto US LATCH cars.

IIRC technically they are illegal to use, though, as the standards are different. Not that this really matters as its only a marker on the seat.

This. Both US and EU cars use a latch system which is identical, but there are small differences in car seats that make it illegla to swap. In the US a baby carseat must have a chest strap, but that is illegal in the EU.

In reality, I don't think the police would care if you have a good quality car seat, properly installed with latches and tightened accordingly. You can take your car to a firestation and they will professionally install the car seat for free.

My experience of rental agency car seats are pretty dire so i would deferentially bring your own and accept you are breaking the law with your EU seat. the other thing to do, but it is a hassle, is to nip into Walmart and get a basic seat for $80, saves flying with it and cheaper than rental agencies.

Caporegime
Seriously think about driving straight into a Walmart and buying one than paying the rental costs. We had a 2 1/2 week break and we hired what turned out to be the equivalent to a shaped lump of polystyrene (booster seat) for $80 or so. I think looking back we could have bought the same thing new in Walmart for about $25.

Wow, I honestly didn't see this post and just said the exact same thingn :eek:

Soldato
Morning all,

I'm off to Florida next year with my wife & my son who will be 8 months old at that point.

We currently have a Maxi-Cosi group 0 car seat that attaches to an isofix base that I have in my car - so the car seat itself doesn't have the isofix attachments but just a metal clip that fits in to the base.

Whilst we're over there we're hiring a 'Chevrolet Tahoe or similar' and I've been reading about car seats but currently I'm not too clear on what we'll need to do. As we've got the base to our seat I'm assuming we're going to have to get another seat but I don't know what to buy? Shall I just buy one over there?

Thanks!

Adam

Where are you flying into ?

I'd personally just buy one when you're out here. Target, Walmart, Toys R Us, all will have plenty of them, and you're never more than a couple of miles away from one of those stores.

Back
Top Bottom