Plane Spotters / Flight Radar Thread

Soldato
Not sure if we have a thread for this already, so thought I would start one for all the plane spotters (Cosmo) out there...

First interesting spot I have had on it came tonight. There was a real noisy drone of a plane that I occasionally hear flying overhead. This time I managed to catch it on flight radar, F-EGVN1.

Turns out this is a military flight of an Airbus A400M, for which there are only 14 in existence (RAF have 22 on order). The flight started from RAF Lossiemouth and seemed to land near Orleans in France. For some reason the flight data isn't available on FlightRadar24 anymore, so can't find out exactly where it landed.

I wonder what we were transporting to the French then?

Any other nerds out there that take interest in this stuff?

Associate
It was interesting the other evening when all the rescue flights to Sharm were trying to get into Larnaca, and Larnaca was saying nope we're way beyond capacity now, could you go across to Paphos please?

*edit - relatively interesting, ofc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure if we have a thread for this already, so thought I would start one for all the plane spotters (Cosmo) out there...

First interesting spot I have had on it came tonight. There was a real noisy drone of a plane that I occasionally hear flying overhead. This time I managed to catch it on flight radar, F-EGVN1.

Turns out this is a military flight of an Airbus A400M, for which there are only 14 in existence (RAF have 22 on order). The flight started from RAF Lossiemouth and seemed to land near Orleans in France. For some reason the flight data isn't available on FlightRadar24 anymore, so can't find out exactly where it landed.

I wonder what we were transporting to the French then?

Any other nerds out there that take interest in this stuff?
It's a French registered aircraft, and the EGVN part of it is the ICAO Aerodrome designator for Brize Norton, which is why you'll hear it a lot. Chances are it's quite a common jaunt for that aircraft, so possibly personnel or parts.

Soldato
OP
It's a French registered aircraft, and the EGVN part of it is the ICAO Aerodrome designator for Brize Norton, which is why you'll hear it a lot. Chances are it's quite a common jaunt for that aircraft, so possibly personnel or parts.
Need more info... break it down for the dumb ass... i.e. I don't understand! :(

Edit: Ok, now I understand. That plane and its sister will be operating out of Brize Norton. It just so happened to be flying from Scotland to France when I heard it. When I normally hear them, it is probably because Brize Norton isn't that far from me.
http://www.janes.com/article/53195/raf-stands-up-first-operational-a400m-squadron

Last edited:
Soldato
Need more info... break it down for the dumb ass... i.e. I don't understand! :(

Edit: Ok, now I understand. That plane and its sister will be operating out of Brize Norton. It just so happened to be flying from Scotland to France when I heard it. When I normally hear them, it is probably because Brize Norton isn't that far from me.
http://www.janes.com/article/53195/raf-stands-up-first-operational-a400m-squadron
Yea chances are the RAF have the A400M that you tracked as a test/lease plane for the time being until they get their full quota. That or the plane was brought over by French pilots, is being taken back by RAF pilots, and then will be brought back by RAF pilots before being registered over here, and adopting a UK Military registration.

Transmission breaker
Don
I use flight radar on my phone. It's awesome for answering questions that I previously never had any way of answering about air traffic.
Anyone who sees me use it thinks it must be illegal!

Associate
What sort of questions? I had to explain the basics of getting an aircraft from stand to airborne last week in layman's terms, which was a challenge.

Fill with just enough fuel, then add a bit more for good measure. Fill with people, weapons or crates of chickens. Make spinny-round things turn really fast, wander around a bit until you find the big long road. Make lots of noise and up we go.

Basic enough?

Soldato
Some possiby new tech, should be good.

BBC

A deal has been struck on using satellites to track planes, motivated by the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 last year.
The decision to dedicate part of the radio spectrum to a global flight tracking system was taken at a UN conference in Geneva on Wednesday.
The conference aimed to improve on the current tracking system which relies on ground-based radars.
MH370 disappeared in March 2014 with 239 people on board.
Representatives from more than 160 countries decided to set aside a radio frequency for the satellite tracking of planes at the World Radiocommunication Conference (WRC), organised by the UN's International Telecommunication Union (ITU).
The deal will enable satellites to receive transmissions, known as automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast (ADS-B), that aircraft currently only send to other aircraft and to ground stations.
This will allow "real-time tracking of aircraft anywhere in the world

Apologies on formatting copy and paste on tab

Transmission breaker
Don
What sort of questions? I had to explain the basics of getting an aircraft from stand to airborne last week in layman's terms, which was a challenge.

I used to fly a lot, and often used it to track incoming aircraft that I would be using after they turned around to check delay estimates.

I also use it identify the models of as smaller aircraft I see, as well as correctly identify specific models of more generic airliners.

I like also how I can check altitude of an aircraft.

Back
Top Bottom