What was your first car?

Associate
Passed at 17 in 1998.

I bought my first car which was a 1971 Series 3 Land Rover when I was 16 and did a load of work to it before I passed when I was 17.

Sold it when I was 22 after a replacement engine, replacement chassis and two colour changes!

Soldato
I was given my first car for free by my older sister, after it had sat in the yard for over 2 years.

It was rusted solid (as well as pretty rusted in general) and I spent the summer doing it up, very badly, before I passed my test in the Autumn of '88

It was a Talbot Sunbeam - PFU213S - you never forget your first numberplate! :D

I sold it for about £30 as an MOT failure a couple of years later to some gypo :p

Associate
DSC_0277.JPG

A Morris Marina identical to the one above. My Grandfather had bought it new the month after I was born in 1972. It was passed to me when I was 21 having done 40,000 miles, it was virtually pristine.

Unfortunately about 6 months after I got it a salesman in a company Rover pulled out of a side turning without looking and took the front end off it, writing it off.

Associate
Passed September 1999 2 months after my 17th, my first car I got on the road was a £120 1988 Woodruff White Rover 213s (Think Hyacinth Bucket's car from Keeping Up Appearances). I put a VDP interior in it and when the engine blew up (woodruff key on cam disintegrated) I replaced the 12v 1.3 Honda lump with a 1.5 from I think a Civic, I basically took the 1.3 and made the 1.5 look like it and put it in the car. Had to get someone to tune it though as the 1.3 carb didn't fuel it enough.

Associate
1.4 Clio Dynamique.

Was in good condition, cost about £2.5K. Had no problems with it, kept it for a year then upgraded.

Insurance was £1.8K though, absolute madness.

Associate
passed in 2005 mine was a vauxhall corsa 1.2 53 plate , sold it to a mate 3-4 years later he's still got it so must be a keeper tells me he's spent hardly anything on it in 7 years.

Soldato
OP
I passed in July 2005 but I bought my first car in late January 2005. I wanted to be different so I bought a 1983 Capri 2.8 Injection, great fun in the snow later that year. I couldn't be doing with the whole small engine corsa thing as a car for me was so much more than a commuting tool.

I liked it so much so that I still have it nearly 11 years later, it's in the process of being tweaked a bit though.

Now I APPROVE!!!!

Soldato
OP
A rusty Peugeot 205 1.4xs carb. :)
Hey man, bet you had some fun? Cheap, easy to fix, handled alright... when I had my 205GTi 1.9, I also had a 1.1 four speed 205... now that was ace... slapped some 1.6 GTi peppers on it and offI went... used that as the day to day car.

IS IT JUST ME or are there some fantastic memories in this thread, too many great starter cars here and also some lucky/hard working people with better cars... however one thing, you NEVER forget your first car... similar to first women hey!

Last edited:
Soldato
Passed in 1991 at age 17. First car was a red Nova 1.4 Merit in 1994. No idea how much I paid now. Was a very reliable little car, but not much fun to drive. Had it for about a year and then switched to a Clio 1.4 RT. Bad mistake...great to drive but was constantly breaking down and falling apart.

Soldato
dB8E9.jpg

1 litre X-reg Citroen Saxo
2000 quid.
Aged 27 - lived on an island without cars so no need for a driving license.
Took a week's intensive course on the mainland, passed, 1st time I ever legally drove I bought the car and drove it back to the island.
2nd time I ever drove, I drove to Mongolia.

Back
Top Bottom