*** Official Fallout 4 - No Spoilers Allowed ***

Soldato
Oh f*!k, I thought it was weird that I couldn't pick a perk!.....is that a bad thing though?
I just haven't seen the perks screen....only the top row of stats is highlighted for me to add to.

You've only spent 8 points so don't worry about it. Just go ahead and start spending them in perks now instead of on the top SPECIAL items.

There is no level cap, you can keep going and going and spend on perks for as long as you want to so I wouldn't worry about 8 points and no perks yet, it will be fine.

Man of Honour
What's even more embarrassing is I haven't been putting points in to my stats!!! I didn't think you needed too. I thought learning a perk in that S.P.E.C.I.A.L stat increased it by 1!!

Soldato
What's even more embarrassing is I haven't been putting points in to my stats!!! I didn't think you needed too. I thought learning a perk in that S.P.E.C.I.A.L stat increased it by 1!!

But you can put each stat up to 10, and underneath each stat perk wise, you can spend a heck of a lot more than 10 on the levels, so how would this be possible? :p:p silly billy ;)

Man of Honour
Well I haven't put any points on to stats since I initially made the character :eek:, whenever I level and press to level up in my pip boy, all it does is take me to the perk screen, where I choose a perk or level an existing one and then that's it. I just assumed that levelled your stat by 1 for each perk you choose

So if I go in to my stat page on the PIP boy, I'm going to have 15 levels worth of points to spend too?!

Soldato
Oh dear!! I'm an idiot. Impressed that I've not struggled yet on base stat points then :p

The base stats unlock the perks.

So if you wanted a Strength 6 perk but you only had Strength 5 you couldn't unlock the perk.

You'd have to level up, use the point in Strength to take it to level 6 and then next level pick that level 6 perk.

Clear as mud!

Caporegime
I'm not sure you need a tutorial really, it's pretty self-explanatory. You get a point, you can spend it on anything in the grid. It tells you the requirements when you hover over it.

Man of Honour
The base stats unlock the perks.

So if you wanted a Strength 6 perk but you only had Strength 5 you couldn't unlock the perk.

You'd have to level up, use the point in Strength to take it to level 6 and then next level pick that level 6 perk.

Clear as mud!

I did wonder why some of the perks are greyed out and I can't unlock them yet, this would explain it! Looking forward to spending all my stat points tonight then! :p

Soldato
I did wonder why some of the perks are greyed out and I can't unlock them yet, this would explain it! Looking forward to spending all my stat points tonight then! :p

What I'm trying to get at is...you might not have any to spend :p

When you level up you get 1 point. You can spend it on stats or perks. If you've not unlocked any perks then you'll have points to spend.

Soldato
I only realised earlier that LB activated that special V.A.T.S mode, at no point did the game tell me about this. Perhaps I'm just used to hand holding in games now but some of the stuff is not very obvious. I'm really disliking the inventory system as well. I get that it's all on the pip boy and is stylised, but it doesn't make for a very user friendly experience.

I really hope I get more into this, kind of regretting buying it already to be honest.

Soldato
Don't worry too much on what you allocate points too unlike Fallout 3 you can allocate points to any stat you like when you get more. You can gain enough points to unlock just about everything. The enemy's are set levels so if a part is to hard come back when you have levelled or have better weapons.

If you are struggling with weapons join the Brotherhood of steel you get lots of good stuff and a better set of power armour

If you have not done so get yourself to Diamond city things get a lot more interesting from then on.

Fallout is about playing your way you don't really need to do everything. I have not gone much into the base building because I think it is crap. I spend more time exploring and doing missions and have found some pretty cool stuff this way....

Last edited:
Man of Honour
One thing I've noticed about this game as opposed to 3, is just how pointless a lot of the buildings are, buildings that are note worthy enough to have a discover announcement, you'd think they would contain worthwhile stuff or have stuff to do but a lot of the time they literally have nothing at all. Or one raider and that's it.

Example, a lot of the stuff marked on the map seems to be like this

Man of Honour
That's what I'm hoping. Some of them though, like random huts with nothing in at all do just seem like space fillers and I'm not sure why it warrants a marker on the map but I'm sure it will all make sense by the time I've finished

Back
Top Bottom